Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hideaway wipers... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930)

Mr. Wyndham 05-09-2007 07:46 PM

Hideaway wipers...

Personally I think these are uber-cool. My 79 has them, and I think they're awsome...what do you think - 5th gen will have 'em or no?

Moose 05-09-2007 08:12 PM

I'm betting the 5th Gen. will have hideaways. ;)

EllwynX 05-09-2007 08:35 PM

Ok, this might sound stupid. But what are hideaway wipers?

I'm assuming it's wipers like they used to be that sat down below the back of the hoodline so you couldn't see them. I really hate how so many new cars have the wipers sitting in plain view at the bottom of the windshield.

Mr. Wyndham 05-09-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 11293)
Ok, this might sound stupid. But what are hideaway wipers?

I'm assuming it's wipers like they used to be that sat down below the back of the hoodline so you couldn't see them. I really hate how so many new cars have the wipers sitting in plain view at the bottom of the windshield.

Yep, that's what they are - I don't know the official name...
To activate, they come up from behind the hood, and then begin to wipe

c00l usmc 05-09-2007 09:09 PM

I agree that would definately be cool!

Mr. Wyndham 05-09-2007 09:11 PM

I too dislike the Wipers just sitting there on your windshield...They are getting better at blending them in (black wipers on black plastic base) but still not great.

CamaroSpike23 05-09-2007 11:24 PM

hide-aways X2.
my 78 had them. my 94 doesnt. and unfortunately the motor in the drivers side one is busted and the wiper blade moves freely. so after drivin at high speeds for too long it flies up halfway up the windshield blocking my view

Chad 05-09-2007 11:27 PM

It was a pain to even find wiper blades for my 94. It was even a bigger pain to find blades that didn't suck. After this past winter I now have a permanent gouge in my windshield from my old blades.

TAG UR IT 05-10-2007 12:12 AM

Yeah...every auto store I go to says the blades are supposed to be the same size for each side. Um..nope. And, finding good blades was tough too.

Leaving the wipers out doesn't help the look at all. Why not put them under the hood? It sure does make more sense. It's nice to see GM working with all the little details that never seemed to see the light of day before. Can't wait to see what the Caddy engineers do with this Camaro!

OverAnxious 05-10-2007 06:41 AM

I had something like that on my 68 Corvette - cool feature but just one more thing to break and drive up the price IMO.

BTW - never say 'uber-cool' again :lol:

Mr. Wyndham 05-10-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverAnxious (Post 11337)
BTW - never say 'uber-cool' again :lol:

...:cry:

stevenm357 05-10-2007 06:26 PM

Yeah. Wipers in plain view. then the shit don't stick to the aluminum and you got nice shiny wipers. my 95 grand marquis, my buick, hell any car 10 yrs old has shiny wipers now :( or worse rusted ones!!!

Mr. Wyndham 05-13-2007 04:59 PM

Another thing I noticed about these wipers: on most cars you see a side to side wiper action, On the Camaro, at least on the Concept, it's an inside to out action...some of the newer vehicles are going this style. I bet the Camaro has'em because of the huge windshield on this car!

EllwynX 05-13-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 11468)
Another thing I noticed about these wipers: on most cars you see a side to side wiper action, On the Camaro, at least on the Concept, it's an inside to out action...some of the newer vehicles are going this style. I bet the Camaro has'em because of the huge windshield on this car!

Since I hadn't paid attention to this little detail...

Do you mean like the old Lumina APV and Lumina Z34 had? (And others I'm sure, I just don't know.)

If so, I always really liked that style. I hope they keep it on the production model.