Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cash for Clunkers - Help with Camaro Purchase??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28271)

Number 3 06-19-2009 06:24 AM

Cash for Clunkers - Help with Camaro Purchase???

Here is what I got from my Senator, Debbie Stabenow

Dear Number 3,

I am writing to tell you about a great victory for Michigan, our domestic automakers, and our small businesses today in the U.S. Senate.

Today the Senate passed an emergency supplemental spending bill that included a new "cash for clunkers" program based on legislation that I authored, the Drive America Forward Act. The bill was already passed by the House of Representatives, so it now goes to President Obama for his signature.

Under the provisions of the bill, consumers may trade in their older vehicles and receive vouchers worth up to $4,500 toward the purchase or qualified lease of a new, more fuel-efficient car or truck. The $1 billion program provides vouchers for vehicles leased or purchased before November 1, 2009. Once the bill is signed, the Administration will formalize the program and release detailed information about how it will work. You can check my website (http://stabenow.senate.gov) for more information in the coming weeks.
Trade-in Vehicle Requirements

- Be in drivable condition
- Be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for at least one year
- Have a combined fuel economy value of 18 mpg or less (Work trucks must be pre-2002 regardless of mpg)
- Not be more than 25 years old with historic or aesthetic value. These vehicles are valued by hobbyists or are a valuable source of restoration parts.

New Vehicle Requirements

- The new vehicle must have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of less than $45,000.
- New passenger cars with mileage of at least 22 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new car is at least 4 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new car is at least 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500.
- New small trucks or SUVs with mileage of at least 18 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 2 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500.
- New large trucks (pick-ups and vans weighing between 6,000 and 8,500 pounds) with mileage of at least 15 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 1 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 2 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $4,500.
- Consumers can trade in a pre-2002 work truck (defined as a pick-up truck or cargo van weighing from 8,500-10,000 pounds) and receive a voucher worth $3,500 for a new work truck in the same or smaller weight class. There are no EPA mileage measures for these trucks; however, because newer models are cleaner than older models, the age requirement ensures that the trade will improve environmental quality. Consumers can also "trade down," receiving a $3,500 voucher for trading in an older work truck and purchasing a pick-up or van weighing between 6,000-8,500 lbs.
w The mpg values are EPA combined city/highway fuel economy as posted on the window sticker of new vehicles and can be found at fueleconomy.gov.

I will continue fighting in the U.S. Senate to create jobs in Michigan and protect our domestic manufacturing industry and our small businesses. As always, please continue to keep me informed of issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

stratman 06-19-2009 06:49 AM

Enticing, but I don't think I like the thought of the truck I bought new and have had for 6 years being crushed in sound working order. I do like that they tried to keep "classics" out of the mix. Should help sell some cars. The really need to change the name of the bill.

Zabo 06-19-2009 06:50 AM

"Not be more than 25 years old with historic or aesthetic value. These vehicles are valued by hobbyists or are a valuable source of restoration parts."

Thank god someone had the brains to write this stipulation in..

Vash 06-19-2009 07:00 AM

I can't find that other thread that was going on this.

But the numbers on a LS manual with no options. I used a CGM LS that was in an autotrader ad. I think it was VIN 11150? lol.

Anyway it was appx $19650 MSRP with the $4500 credit.

IROCanSS 06-19-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 599329)
I can't find that other thread that was going on this.

But the numbers on a LS manual with no options. I used a CGM LS that was in an autotrader ad. I think it was VIN 11150? lol.

Anyway it was appx $19650 MSRP with the $4500 credit.

I wish I had a junker...:iono:

jm251 06-19-2009 07:59 AM

I wish to goodness my 90 Taurus was not rated 20 mpg combined since I just missed the cutoff at 18 or less. It gets more like 18 combined these days anyway. I'd love to get out of this thing and jump in a 2LT! wow is that a huge bummer!!

FenwickHockey65 06-19-2009 08:34 AM

And no provisions stating that the voucher may be used to buy only from American automakers...:facepalm:

Sorry senator, but I don't think this is going to help GM, Ford, or Chrysler very much.

stratman 06-19-2009 08:39 AM

If people want to buy their cars it will. If they don't, it doesn't matter what the rebate is. Again, You can't have the government, or anyone else, force people into buying something if they don't want it.

Vash 06-19-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 599513)
And no provisions stating that the voucher may be used to buy only from American automakers...:facepalm:

Sorry senator, but I don't think this is going to help GM, Ford, or Chrysler very much.

The goal is not to help it's to kill big cars and make us drive golf carts smaller than Cobalts. They didn't even read the bill anyway. Just a summary and first couple sentences then waived reading of the bill.

SIK07GTSTANG 06-19-2009 09:07 AM

From what I've read, the clunker has to be 8 years or older and get 18mpg or less. Also I saw a maximum new car cost of $35,000. Granted, this bill has only passed in the House and still needs Senate confirmation.
http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/09/news..._for_clunkers/

FenwickHockey65 06-19-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 599546)
The goal is not to help it's to kill big cars and make us drive golf carts smaller than Cobalts. They didn't even read the bill anyway. Just a summary and first couple sentences then waived reading of the bill.

Quote:

I am writing to tell you about a great victory for Michigan, our domestic automakers, and our small businesses today in the U.S. Senate.
Sounds like one of her goals was to help Detroit...

rolnslo 06-19-2009 09:15 AM

Why oh why couldn't GM get 18mpg city for the v6 manual? That 17mpg city rating put the combined MPG at 21 so it won't qualify for this. The v6 automatic qualifies though, with 22mpg combined.

UCF w00t 06-19-2009 09:47 AM

I'm going from a combined 19mpg to..... a combined 19mpg. Damn.

irocnroll 06-19-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhaus76 (Post 599347)
I wish I had a junker...:iono:

Buy a cheap POS that someone has registered and is looking to sell. Then turn around and use it for the program.