Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Outer/inner boot ZL1 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525560)

nortonyaya 04-08-2018 07:57 PM

Outer/inner boot ZL1

Hi,
My Name is Norton from Germany.
I drive a 2013 ZL1.

Last Tuesday on my 3rd Inspection,
i saw that the inner boot ( rear axle, right side)
Is damaged!

If i choose my car at gmpartsonline there isn't
an inner boot for my car ...
Just the complette ( 22953759) axle assembly !
But the axle is okay !

There is the outer boot (92228290) and i think
the outer is the same like the inner ...BUT
the next Problem is that the partnumber is
the same as the Camaro SS outer boot!
When i choose the ZL1 at your Vehicle,
there is written ...
outer boot right W/ZL1 (at the Part List) ! That's what i need !(I hope)
But in product details is written without ZL1 !?
I know that the SS and ZL1 have different axles.
So what i have to Do ?
Choose my car and order the outer boot W/ZL1?

The link:
https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...YtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz

Please help me :frusty:

SamHouseIII 04-09-2018 09:06 AM

The part # is correct for the outer boot on the ZL1, the inner is not listed. Maybe someone who works at a dealer (parts counter) will chime in.

BlackMambaZL1 04-09-2018 11:48 AM

IMHO and personal experience of replacing many axles; the amount of time that it takes to rebuild the seals and clean it all out you would be money ahead to do a new axle. To get all the grease cleaned up and redone is dang near impossible to get all of the impurities out and they will cause a failure in the seal if not properly cleaned.

I know the axles are expensive, especially being shipped to Europe haha. But, more bad than good usually happens when only replacing CV axle boots.

DrkPhx 04-09-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackMambaZL1 (Post 10140205)
IMHO and personal experience of replacing many axles; the amount of time that it takes to rebuild the seals and clean it all out you would be money ahead to do a new axle. To get all the grease cleaned up and redone is dang near impossible to get all of the impurities out and they will cause a failure in the seal if not properly cleaned.

I know the axles are expensive, especially being shipped to Europe haha. But, more bad than good usually happens when only replacing CV axle boots.

I agree 100%. Last year I found a tear in the driver side axle outer boot and it was spraying grease every where. I bought what I thought was a ZL1 specific boot replacement kit but it was for the SS. Contacted another dealer who said they do not have a boot replacement kit for the ZL1. So I bought a generic kit and attempted to make it fit. What a major PITA to tear apart the axle. It didn't work so I bought a new axle and installed it and call it a day. Check ebay for used axles. They are much cheaper than new and should work fine.

nortonyaya 04-09-2018 03:47 PM

Is the outer ZL1 boot Same like the inner?

nortonyaya 04-09-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamHouseIII (Post 10139708)
The part # is correct for the outer boot on the ZL1, the inner is not listed. Maybe someone who works at a dealer (parts counter) will chime in.

Is the outer boot same like the inner ?

sweet99ss 03-04-2020 04:05 PM

Well reviving this because i had semilar issue. Outer cv boot torn on my 12 ZL1 ordered the 92228290 outer boot kit and it is not correct... cant find a boot for ZL1. Guess im out $500 because GM doesnt have a damn boot for these cars..

sweet99ss 03-08-2020 07:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Alright guys instead of spending $500 on a new axle I found a fix. GM does not make a boot for any 2012-2015 ZL1's and they wanted $500+ at the stealership for an axle. I found an axle boot and cut it. Already did some hard laynching and high end pulls and its holding up great. 686-2326 is the part number of the boot I used.

Attachment 1022985

Attachment 1022986

Attachment 1022987