Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Question for you guys who replaced stock tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323367)

tramtwo 10-27-2013 08:42 AM

Yes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Buffman 10-27-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem (Post 7117950)
I love the way the stock Goodyears look, I don't think I will change when they wear out

x2

Blownhotrodder 10-27-2013 11:17 AM

I wished that goodyear made alittle harder compound stock tire where you could choose to have a longer wearing tire but look the same.

chipset35 10-28-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffman (Post 7131406)
x2

X3

ORANGE CRUSSH 11-04-2013 10:04 PM

1LE replacement tire

1 Attachment(s)
someone should try this and give us a report.........

Vbh_1LE 11-05-2013 10:08 AM

I will soon be installing Nitto NT05's on all 4 corners. I'm going with 315 35 20 in the rear and 275 35 20 for the front. Personally, I can't stand the look of the "stretched" 285 on the rear of my car, and wish they would have installed 305 35 20's in the rear like the ZL1.

EarlyApex 11-05-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgalewsk (Post 7112598)
This.

Justice Pete has mentioned a couple times that the Goodyears have a much stiffer sidewall. Michelin Super Sports on the other hand do not have these stiff sidewalls and tend to bounce a little during daily driving (quite annoying IMO). The reason they are not as stiff is because Michelin wanted the sidewall to be able to flex under high loads on the track so the majority of the tread would stay flat against the ground for better traction. I am not sure of any other tires but I would assume all seasons would have a softer sidewall than the Goodyears.

Are there any tires out there that are a good replacement for the stock Goodyears that actually have stiff sidewalls and don't wear out in 10k or less miles?

I just installed the PSS and did not notice any "bouncing" during my first drive. I do think they are a smoother riding tire over rough pavement. Grip seemed very good, dry pavement and about 56 deg. Haven't driven in rain yet so can't comment on wet performance.

ORANGE CRUSSH 11-05-2013 06:19 PM

I am also please with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3......great dry traction in cool temps and a smooth ride

markgws6 11-08-2013 04:37 PM

Are you talking about the Michelin A/S or the Super Sports here as having a softer sidewall? It seems the Super Sport tires from what I remember handle just as good if not better than the Goodyear tires however soft the sidewall is. I think GM just went with the Goodyears to keep prices down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgalewsk (Post 7112598)
This.

Justice Pete has mentioned a couple times that the Goodyears have a much stiffer sidewall. Michelin Super Sports on the other hand do not have these stiff sidewalls and tend to bounce a little during daily driving (quite annoying IMO). The reason they are not as stiff is because Michelin wanted the sidewall to be able to flex under high loads on the track so the majority of the tread would stay flat against the ground for better traction. I am not sure of any other tires but I would assume all seasons would have a softer sidewall than the Goodyears.

Are there any tires out there that are a good replacement for the stock Goodyears that actually have stiff sidewalls and don't wear out in 10k or less miles?

Camaronutt 11-08-2013 05:20 PM

Installing larger rear tires on a 1LE than the front will cause a lot of understeer. If you do not track your car you will not really notice it. GM installed the same size tires front and rear to minimize the understeer problem.

jgalewsk 11-09-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markgws6 (Post 7169253)
Are you talking about the Michelin A/S or the Super Sports here as having a softer sidewall? It seems the Super Sport tires from what I remember handle just as good if not better than the Goodyear tires however soft the sidewall is. I think GM just went with the Goodyears to keep prices down.

I was talking about the Super Sports having a softer sidewall. And I would assume the AS3's would be even softer. I know the super sports handle just as well or better than the goodyears. Handling capabilities, however, were not my main focus. I was just talking about daily driving on the super sports and the slight bounce one might feel with them compared to the stiffer sidewalled goodyears. The bounce is more noticeable with stiffer springs on coilovers. This is because the suspension will not compress as much, and more force will be absorbed by the sidewall flex. Lowering springs and stock setups probably wouldn't feel this "bounce" very much.

jgalewsk 11-09-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EarlyApex (Post 7158962)
I just installed the PSS and did not notice any "bouncing" during my first drive. I do think they are a smoother riding tire over rough pavement. Grip seemed very good, dry pavement and about 56 deg. Haven't driven in rain yet so can't comment on wet performance.

Which size tires did you install?

EarlyApex 11-09-2013 10:43 AM

I went with 285 front and 295 rear. I plan on using the stock GY for track duty (2 sets of wheels)

jgalewsk 11-09-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EarlyApex (Post 7171200)
I went with 285 front and 295 rear. I plan on using the stock GY for track duty (2 sets of wheels)

285 front and 295 (105Y) rear seem to be the way to go with PSS. I have 275 fronts which have a slightly lower load index. That seems to be the cause of the bouncing issue, but it's only minor. Thinking about putting my pfadt lowering springs back on to make the ride a little smoother for daily driving... That should eliminate any noticeable bouncing. At least that's what I'm hoping for as a bonus from switching back to springs...