Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   To Supercharge or Not To Supercharge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303883)

amizz10 06-25-2013 01:55 AM

To Supercharge or Not To Supercharge

so over the past few weeks ive had my eye on either a vortech kit or a procharger d1sc kit. wanting to make around 620-650 wheel.

ive shared my ideas with some friends and have had the usual response of people telling me "don't waste my money" or "where are you gonna go with all that horsepower"

so once you here it multiple times, it makes me start to think if i should do it or not.

what do you guys think i should do. since you all have some type of forced induction. is it worth it in the end?

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

K32 Camaro 06-25-2013 02:32 AM

Depends. Do you like going through 20 gallons of gas in two days? ... Cause it's that fun.. :thumbsup:

I have a vortech and my mustang owning friend :barf: says the centri blower doesn't put you back in the seat and is too loud. But I think he's just putting it down b/c he's jealous. ;)

Slickcas 06-25-2013 02:33 AM

Vortech kits are the most complete. The V3 with a 3.47 or a 3.33 pully will put you around at 580-630rwhp. It comes with good 67lb injectors (bigger then all kits I have seen) and a huge intercooler. Most bang for the buck kit I think. That is what I have. Now the ECS puts together some killer kits that have the potential to make killer power if you deside to push it.

The Centrifugals are very easy launch and are deceivingly fast. But they lack that kick in the pants the positive displacement have off the line. So if you're looking for just a very fun street ride I would go with a positive displacement. If you're not looking for crazy power the Edelbrock eForce has a good deal right now.

That's my 2c

grocerygetter 06-25-2013 07:05 AM

I'd go ecs if I did it over again probably....but I really do like the vortech...it's probably gonna take a buttload of boost (more than I would recommend without methanol) or a cam to get your goal though.

IPS Brandon 06-25-2013 07:10 AM

Yes it is worth it if you allow yourself to enjoy it, like any hobby really.

Do any of your friends have boats? like playing golf with a country club membership? ect ect.

If you have a passion for performance driving and enjoying the experience of aftermarket performance then you should buy a blower kit. They are fairly reasonable (price) and to install and the complete kits such as Vortechs are a start to finish solution. Finding out which kit is best for you can be somewhat tricky due to the feedback of many here, so just take what you find with moderate merit.

I would say you're off to a good start with the two companies you mentioned.

If you have any questions, I can help, other wise get modding!

Regards

Birm 06-25-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grocerygetter (Post 6712578)
I'd go ecs if I did it over again probably....but I really do like the vortech...it's probably gonna take a buttload of boost (more than I would recommend without methanol) or a cam to get your goal though.

:word:

ECS Kits are great and offer expandability. But grocerygetter is right, looking 620-650 wheel is not realistic on a blower alone without propper supporting mods (fuel, methanol, cam).

Is it worth it? Absolutely! If you can afford it. Just remember the old addage, you gotta pay to play, never rings more true then when it comes to cars..replacement parts, supporting modifications and the thirst for more that can never be quenched. You just want 620, I just wanted a cam, took me all of two weeks to realize I didn't have enough power..Threw on the SC with Meth and after a few weeks I was ready for more.

So my opinion, its worth it as long as you can afford it.

If I can be of help in anyway or if you are interested in our ECS Package let me know.

TRC-SS 06-25-2013 07:22 AM

Absolutely do it. I did the SLP TVS2300 in April and wouldn't change a thing. Gave the car a whole new ride! Love it

Iam Broke 06-25-2013 09:06 AM

Just Do It!

sscamaro 06-25-2013 10:10 AM

I put an Edelbrock G-Force S/C on my SS almost two years ago. I'm making 546/rwhp and only being used on the street. I love it and wouldn't have it anyother way. It drives like a daily driver until you want more. Worth ever penny.

DuskSS 06-25-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amizz10 (Post 6712274)
so over the past few weeks ive had my eye on either a vortech kit or a procharger d1sc kit. wanting to make around 620-650 wheel.

ive shared my ideas with some friends and have had the usual response of people telling me "don't waste my money" or "where are you gonna go with all that horsepower"

so once you here it multiple times, it makes me start to think if i should do it or not.

what do you guys think i should do. since you all have some type of forced induction. is it worth it in the end?

:noidea: :noidea: :noidea: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

get new friends/club
In my circle my 520hp car is the lowest and slowest of the entire club..
top being a 1500 TT Monster.
average being 700+hp.

Get the supercharger and meth.. and N20 ;)
then the LSX block and rods and pistons to put it all on.. it never stops :p

Detoxx03 06-25-2013 10:27 AM

Screw your friends. Absolutely do a procharger.

Supercharged SS 06-25-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxx03 (Post 6713188)
Screw your friends. Absolutely do a Magnacharger

Edited for correction.:smiling1:

2SS45th 06-25-2013 10:50 AM

You asked the group of people who are all addicted to horsepower if they would go without?

There's no such thing as wasted money on go fast bits, and there's definitely no such thing as "never gonna use that power". All that extra torque makes it easier getting up the driveway :D

Detoxx03 06-25-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 6713277)
Edited for correction.:smiling1:

:facepalm: