Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   removing LS-3 resonators (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106572)

joes407 09-18-2010 07:39 PM

removing LS-3 resonators

i have the muffler delete but i want a bit more. how does removing the resonators affect the LS-3 as far as sound, performance and codes?

MillerTime 09-18-2010 08:02 PM

Performance, you won't notice a difference.
Codes won't be thrown at all.
Sound, you will probably get a little more out of it and possibly more drone.

jimpfromwv 09-18-2010 09:50 PM

I am also interested in deleting my resonators but I'd like a little more info before doing so!:help:

caverman 09-19-2010 11:45 AM

Try doing the rear-cat delete. You'll pick up a little more sound and power....not a whole lot though...just a little. I was charged $125 to have mine done.

You could also put a Magnaflow Tru-X in place of the factory H-pipe and get rid of the resonators as the same time. That should make a some sound difference for you.

Rage 09-19-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 2346432)
Try doing the rear-cat delete. You'll pick up a little more sound and power....not a whole lot though...just a little. I was charged $125 to have mine done.

You could also put a Magnaflow Tru-X in place of the factory H-pipe and get rid of the resonators as the same time. That should make a some sound difference for you.

You can delete the rear cats only? Does it throw a CEL code? What do you do with the O2 sensor once removed? Thanks!

Smoky10 09-19-2010 01:22 PM

I'm curious about this as well.

caverman 09-19-2010 03:21 PM

Pretty much everything covered.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=cat+delete

joes407 09-20-2010 08:09 PM

so after reading all the attached links and posts it appears i can lose the cat behind both bungs and the resonators and not get any cel's? does this make more decel pop or is it about the same as it is with just the mufflers gone?

caverman 09-20-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joes407 (Post 2351111)
so after reading all the attached links and posts it appears i can lose the cat behind both bungs and the resonators and not get any cel's? does this make more decel pop or is it about the same as it is with just the mufflers gone?

I can't positively tell you because mine was done all at once but from my understanding nothing about your exhaust will actually increase the decel popping. It's there even with the factory exhaust. It's just that with the louder exhaust you are going to hear it more.

So, if you go with that principle you will probably hear it a little louder but not with any more frequency.

I'm not really crazy about the decel popping either and I learned out to drive around it. You either push in the clutch sooner or give it just a touch of gas to make it go away.

Since you are wanting more sound you might consider buying the Magnaflow Tru-X and put it in place of the factory H-pipe at the same time that you are removing the resonators. You'll already be welding pipe in place of the resonators so it probably wouldn't cost any difference to add the x-pipe. You can pick one up from JDP Motorsports for about $75. If you want to tone down the decel popping then use the resonated x-pipe.....but it won't be as loud as the Tru-X. Go through this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964

joes407 09-21-2010 09:23 AM

i had read that the factory H-pipe is fine performance wise but i wanted to free up some restrictions in the exhaust. like @ least 1 cat and maybe the resonators. maybe i should just wait the 6 months until im out of warranty and go with a complete headers back system and tune. whats the consensus on a tune with the factory exhaust in place? is it worth it or just a waste due to bad flow of factory exhaust?

joes407 09-21-2010 09:26 AM

i too drive around the decel pop so that i dont really care about so much. just looking for a little more umph with little outgoing cash as possible. trying to get the car paid down as much as possible in case i want to trade it for a Z-28. dont wanna put 5k in mods to trade the car in another year.

caverman 09-21-2010 10:55 AM

The performance gains on the x-pipe, or rear cat-delete, or resonators is going to be very minimal. Probably nothing you'll notice. Even if you got say 5rwhp out of all of it I don't know that you would really feel that.

What you might consider doing is spending about $2.5k - $3k to get headers, exhaust, and tune. You can actually go way cheaper than that if you are willing to go with some Pacesetter or maybe OBX headers and just put some mufflers back on.

If and when the time comes to buy the Z/28 then take off the headers and put the factory tune back. You'll probably have to eat the mufflers though because you'll have to have something there. You then sell your headers for 50%-60% of what you have in them.

Actually....come to think of it....your best bet for the money would be to put on some HF cat mid-pipes and then maybe use a handheld tuner. You can get the JBA HF mids for around $300 I believe. That will give you sound and performance. When you're done....take them off and try to recover some money.