Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 rearend noise bulletin (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309102)

Sven59 07-24-2013 05:51 PM

ZL1 rearend noise bulletin

Here is an excerpt from the bulletin.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a moan noise from the rear axle during cold start turning maneuvers. In some instances the noise has been described as coming from the front of the vehicle. The noise may start to be noticed as the vehicle accumulates over 3,000 miles.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: Steps 2 – 9 MUST be performed two (2) times for a total drain and fill of three (3) times to have this procedure be effective.
1. With original lube in axle, conduct Freeway Speeds for 10 miles to warm up lube.
2. Immediately drain original lube and refill with fresh lube.
3. In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
4. In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
5. Perform 4 Figure 8’s at (5-10 mph).
6. Freeway Speeds for 20 miles until operating temperature is achieved.
7. In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
8. In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
9. Perform 4 Figure 8’s at (5-10 mph).
10. Immediately drain current lube in axle and refill with fresh lube.
11. Perform Steps 3 thru 9 again.
12. Immediately drain current lube in axle and refill with fresh lube.
This procedure is only to be used for the condition listed above. During regular maintenance, the fluid only needs to be changed one time. The maintenance schedule can be found in the owner’s manual on pages 11-5 and 11-7. For regular service the fluid is changed at 45,000 miles or 72,000 Km and for severe service the fluid needs to be changed every 15,000 miles or 24,000 KM.
Oil Dextron LS Gear 75w90: US - 88862624 2.43 Qt.; Canada - 88862625 2.3L
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
F9744*
Road Test, Drain, and Refill Axle 3 Times
2.6 Hours
* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Bottom of Form

Modern07 07-24-2013 06:21 PM

Yep that's the exact procedure that my dealer used with mine - they phoned me up before taking it out due to the amount of miles they were going to have to put on the car - wanted to make sure I was happy for them to do that.

I said yes, and the problem was fixed when I got it back :thumbup:

bumblebeecamaro 07-24-2013 06:40 PM

subscribed - I might just do this myself instead of having the dealer do this. the thought of anyone but myself putting 20 miles on my car makes me cringe.

DrkPhx 07-24-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro (Post 6816386)
subscribed - I might just do this myself instead of having the dealer do this. the thought of anyone but myself putting 20 miles on my car makes me cringe.

Same here.

joes407 07-24-2013 06:54 PM

Ridiculous the procedure used 1/4 tank of premium and puts 60 miles on car. I dont see the part says drive 20 miles in between each flush

roSSco 07-24-2013 06:55 PM

I have a constant moan at any speed over 35 mph while decelerating. I assume that it is due to improper lash or break in. I suspect it was during the 44 miles of test drives before I got the car, because I was very easy on it during break in.

What I am trying to say is, is there a chance that the procedure outlined above would be of any benefit to me? I realize I would have to do it since the bulletin does not address my complaint.

joes407 07-24-2013 07:10 PM

The procedure did not fix mine so it will be going back

DJ-Silver 2SS 07-24-2013 07:20 PM

i had the procedure done as well.... not fixed so it is going back. I found out from the dealership, if the vehicle comes back a second time and still falls under the bulletin, then they can request a new center section and replace it.

joes407 07-24-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro (Post 6816386)

My dealer knows my car does not leave lot without me. They had me drive the car through the procedure with tech in passenger seat

OldScoolCamaro 07-24-2013 09:20 PM

...way over the top technical, my head started spinning reading the service bulletin <as presented by the OP>....get it warm, drain the fluid...replace with correct fresh lubricant. Done deal.

jtulery 07-25-2013 05:34 AM

Got it hot change oil to Amsoil oil.

In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles.
In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles. Did it about 500 miles ago
working good !!

G-Oil Guy 07-25-2013 06:06 AM

Can anyone describe the sound etc tht causes you guys to take the cars in for the rear end problem?

Thanks.

ZL1 TIBS 07-25-2013 07:03 AM

I think the real question is, will doing nothing cause damage to the rear. I think probably not. I hear it all the time when cold and to me it is just a normal high performance limited slip rear sound. It sounds like all the procedure is doing is wearing out the clutches.

SSNIGHTMARE 07-25-2013 07:16 AM

sounds like a good way for your dealer to do some donuts in your car :)