Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   1LE specific tune? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257846)

tramtwo 10-27-2012 08:16 AM

1LE specific tune?

Any of you tuners haves something in the works? Will a 1le specific tune even be necessary... I mean because of the MN6 transmission and final drive ratio of 3.91 being different than the SS?

Synner 10-27-2012 11:48 AM

Theres nothing unique about an LS3 with 3.91 gears.

tramtwo 10-27-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 5743643)
Theres nothing unique about an LS3 with 3.91 gears.

So the different gearing ratios because of the MN6 transmission is irrelevant to a tune? That cant be right, can it?

Synner 10-27-2012 12:03 PM

The engine needs an optimum tune at whatever rpm, theres a couple things that need to be changed for rear gears but its no different on the 1le than on any other camaro with a change.

Tranny gearing will change the rpm the engine is at for a certain speed, the optimal tune for an engine at a given rpm isn't altered. People just need to be smarter about cam changes that kill the midrange for their dyno queens.

VR1LE 10-27-2012 12:04 PM

Since their is less load on the low rpm due to the torque multiplication factors involved you could probably get away with a little more timing on the bottom end, this is a question for the tuners out there as I am no tuner just my thoughts from being around this stuff for so long.

tramtwo 10-27-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 5743674)
The engine needs an optimum tune at whatever rpm, theres a couple things that need to be changed for rear gears but its no different on the 1le than on any other camaro with a change.

Tranny gearing will change the rpm the engine is at for a certain speed, the optimal tune for an engine at a given rpm isn't altered. People just need to be smarter about cam changes that kill the midrange for their dyno queens.

Thanks for your reply.

Synner 10-27-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR1LE (Post 5743676)
Since their is less load on the low rpm due to the torque multiplication factors involved you could probably get away with a little more timing on the bottom end, this is a question for the tuners out there as I am no tuner just my thoughts from being around this stuff for so long.

Have you done the math on the gearing? The tranny and rear will mostly cancel out but I'm not sure the exact numbers. I think it's a tad higher than standard, can't remember the thread where they measured it out. It's the close ratio that is the primary benefit so no short shifting 1st/2nd.

VR1LE 10-27-2012 03:44 PM

ok got it that makes sense thanks

tramtwo 01-12-2013 04:12 PM

:bump:

Looking to install my headers....

Kelly@PCMofNC 01-15-2013 08:17 AM

The fact that it is a 1LE won't make the job any different for the tuner, they'd still do it the same way. Load a base program, adjust fuel trims, timing, and other small things that help with driveability, and then finish up on the dyno to fine tune the air fuel ratio and figure out what timing works best for it. As far as having different final drive ratios, that information is already part of the stock operating system, so when you read that file out it's not something you have to factor in, if that makes sense.

Good luck with the headers, they are a nice addition to any LS3!!