Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Detroit Speed Subframe Bushings (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521172)

el Wulf 02-17-2018 05:58 PM

Detroit Speed Subframe Bushings

Has anyone installed or used Detroit Speed solid bushing before & if so, how well do they perform? I like the idea that they're hardcoated instead of being just anodized...much prefer protection from the possibility of corrosion then looking pretty.

TWOFORTYZ 02-17-2018 07:01 PM

Anodizing is a "hard coating." I have no experience, but have also looked into their subframe bushings. I would use anti seize on the parts and wash the car regularly if worried about corrosion. Different metals like to corrode when touching each other.

el Wulf 02-17-2018 09:19 PM

it
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ (Post 10080330)
Anodizing is a "hard coating." I have no experience, but have also looked into their subframe bushings. I would use anti seize on the parts and wash the car regularly if worried about corrosion. Different metals like to corrode when touching each other.

Much appreciated! I honestly didn't think about it..but you're right, it does add a thin layer of protection....I remember anodizing aluminum parts when I was teenager with a battery charger, sulfuric acid, & Rye clothing dye. I just don't know if it is enough not to wear off with the operational stress that bushing are being subjected to. Whenever two dissimular bare metals touch, one of them will always corrode (whether they're cleaned regularly or not) through a chemical process known as "oxidation" & the inherent fact that metal always tries to convert back to its natural state. That's why engineers & manufacturers use hardware which has "anode" properties & the product itself has "cathode" properties, because it's less expensive to replace a rusted nut or bolt than the frame itself.

Synner 02-17-2018 09:45 PM

Your only other option is delrin, even firmer poly allows flex in this application. All of the aluminum ones are the same basic thing so just find the cheapest ones and cover with anti-seize. Many cars have aluminum frame components bonded to steel as part of their weight cutting from roughly 10 years back as a common occurrence today.

These bushings should never move in the cradle application so there shouldn't be wear to the protective coatings unless you damage something putting them in.

el Wulf 02-17-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 10080431)
Your only other option is delrin, even firmer poly allows flex in this application. All of the aluminum ones are the same basic thing so just find the cheapest ones and cover with anti-seize. Many cars have aluminum frame components bonded to steel as part of their weight cutting from roughly 10 years back as a common occurrence today.

These bushings should never move in the cradle application so there shouldn't be wear to the protective coatings unless you damage something putting them in.

Much appreciated...unfortunately Google spat out wrong info. I typed in "2011 Camaro solid subframe bushings" & it spit out solid body mounts for a '69 Camaro...why? I can only venture to guess. You're right, the new frames consist of both materials being bonded & will not corrode as long as both metals are encapsulated in the protective coating...it's only when exposed to air that oxidation will occur.

VR Baron 02-17-2018 10:24 PM

Dse erm to be the best out there. I had the subframe inserts for awhile and they noticeably reduced sideways movement in autocross. Now I run full poly bushings and they lock the rear down well. I noticed no discernible rear movement .

el Wulf 02-17-2018 11:16 PM

I should of known it was too good to be true when the price for the set of 4 DSE solid mounts along with 2 solid radiator core mounts for $150~lol. Crazy though that you can get 6 solid body mounts for $150, but 4 solid subframe mounts are $750. The local JC has courses in CNC fabrication as well as a great computer lab. Might just have to take a 3D scan of a solid subframe bushing, load it into the program, & CNC my own set & get a "A" in class for it at the same time...I already know how to anodize~lol. Maybe, even make a couple extra sets as Christmas gifts!

krisprz2010camaross 02-18-2018 12:15 AM

I have Pegasus aluminum rear subframe bushings and they have been fine. They are 2 pieces though. I didn’t find it about Detroit speeds’ one until after I installed them or else I would have. The car is way more stiff in the rear and more vibrations, but I don’t mind. Haha

olblue75 02-18-2018 09:50 PM

I came a cross a crazy deal on a old set of PFADTs and I didn't notice any increased noise or vibration.

Crash76 02-19-2018 06:36 AM

I run pegasus ... easy to install, car is planted, price is great... DSE requires u to remove
The rear end (90% sure), pegasus u can use blow torch and jack method...

JusticePete 02-19-2018 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A solid mount is pretty much a solid mount made from delrin or aluminum. Pegasus are not press in. DSE are press in. Then there is the almost ready for production JPSS...

Attachment 920834

Olddudesrule 02-19-2018 06:18 PM

Can you give us a ball park price, Pete? I'm thinking about going with the Pegasus.....

JusticePete 02-19-2018 07:19 PM

Soon... between Pegasus and DSE. While all subframe bushings for the 5th Gen are very similar, our uppers are unique spreading the load in a

. .

Now who deleted the details???

JusticePete 02-19-2018 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm...