Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Future Camaro to receive upgraded interior as GM determined to improve interiors? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85899)

Tran 05-26-2010 05:38 PM

Future Camaro to receive upgraded interior as GM determined to improve interiors?

As we reported recently, a GM insider confirmed for us that the company is hard at work now on a substantially reworked interior for the Camaro that will appear for the 2012 model year. Could that model year's interior or the interior in subsequent model year Camaros mean an overall upgraded quality interior (and not just design changes)?

If this interview by Insideline with GM's Karl Stracke, vice president of global engineering, is any indication, future Camaros certainly could potentially receive upgraded quality interiors.

Quote:

Inside Line met with GM's Karl Stracke, who took over as the vice president of global engineering when Mark Reuss left to preside over GM North America. During the discussion, Stracke admitted that although General Motors has made progress on the interior quality front, it hasn't come far enough.

"We're not yet at Audi quality," he said. "I want to be at Audi quality. Audi is the benchmark for interiors."

Stracke continued, "I've driven the Corvette Grand Sport and I like it a lot, but the interior is not convincing."

Stracke, an engineer by training, has 30 years of experience at GM -- all on the European side. He's responsible for the design of a great many Opels, and he oversaw the engineering of the last-gen Saab 9-3.

He told us that under the new GM regime, he and his engineering team are able to put greater priority on checking out competitors' cars. Specifically, he and other top engineering executives reserve every Friday for driving cars on the proving grounds. Encouraging news to say the least.

PQ 05-26-2010 05:43 PM

So, then, they agree somewhat with the critisisms of the quality of material and/or design of the current Camaro interior?

Apex Motorsports 05-26-2010 05:54 PM

Finally, an American automobile manufacturer is realizing that the interiors matter!

greenrail 05-26-2010 06:00 PM

To me, I think thia is a good direction change.

Too many in our enthusiast community, tended to laugh off the criticism. We need to understand, that Chevy wants this to be a world class vehicle.

Definitely a step in the right direction.

PQ 05-26-2010 06:25 PM

I agree.

Wonder if there's a passenger seat 'UPgrade' :laugh:

Angrybird 12 05-26-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1908009)
I agree.

Wonder if there's a passenger seat 'UPgrade' :laugh:

yeah....get a taller passenger....:sm0:

mfr1950 05-26-2010 08:08 PM

I think the interior on the 5th gen is a big upgrade from the 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies I owned. The 3 gen had vinyl and cardboard interiors that squeeked and rattled on every bump in the road,and after a few years looked faded and worn..

superstockcam 05-26-2010 08:18 PM

I drive a 2009 Chevy Silverado for work with the famous plastic dash, I feel right at home in the Camaro...maybe a fuzzy dash mat someday? but I am a dreamer.

Indpowr 05-26-2010 08:29 PM

We welcome new interiors and materials. Makes for more aftermarket parts...

ron10 05-26-2010 09:03 PM

good to hear.

fargomike 05-26-2010 09:33 PM

I am guessing the vette will have it first .

69Z/28Camaro 05-26-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargomike (Post 1908894)
I am guessing the vette will have it first .

yea i kinda wish GM would fix the vette's interior so all the car mags will quit whining about how bad it is. thats the ONLY bad thing they say about the vette. and i dont think the Camaro needs a new interior, but then again, ive never been in one

khabboub 05-26-2010 10:39 PM

i dont think that the interior will be completely changed until the 2014 model. but i think that they 2012 will receive minor touches.

Revo1 05-26-2010 10:51 PM

Just hope they don't overdo it. I like the way the interior looks now. I'm all for better materials, but let's keep that cost down here GM :thumbsup: