Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Nitrous guys? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542212)

Bandit63 11-10-2018 11:37 PM

Nitrous guys?

How are you nitrous guy retarding timing? I’m looking at getting a lnc-2000. Is this the best way to go?

Joe M 2012 2SS 11-11-2018 06:46 AM

Mine is done through the tune. Dynosteve @ RDP sends me the tune via the SCTX4 that I bought from him a couple years ago.

The only thing needed after installation is to record a pass at the drag strip for fine tuning. Aside from that you just need a colder spark plug based upon what size shot you run. I run a 1 step colder plug.

A catch can is also a good idea, I had one before nitrous and you'll get more blow by
with nitrous.

A good bottle pressure gauge is also beneficial, my ZEX kit works perfectly @ 900-950 PSI.
I run a 125 shot.

I called the closest DYNO shop in my area for a nitrous tune just to see what the cost was.....$600.....the SCTX4 from Steve is around $400 or so.....I got mine a little cheaper because I bought a kit......plus with the SCTX4 from Steve you get free tunes for life.

Steve always gets revised tunes after I send a datalog to him back to me in 24 hours or less. Great customer service.

Bandit63 11-11-2018 11:11 AM

I was wanting to go with something so I wouldn’t have to swap out tunes and I’ve already paid for dyno tune using hptunes.

Clarkstar 11-11-2018 11:35 AM

My tuner was able to set up my tune safe for 100hp shot. No detonation or lean conditions. Not sure how much you plan on spraying... I made 524 on motor and 620 on spray... same tune

Joe M 2012 2SS 11-11-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit63 (Post 10360158)
I was wanting to go with something so I wouldn’t have to swap out tunes and I’ve already paid for dyno tune using hptunes.

I don't swap out tunes. I believe my timing was retarded 5 degrees for the 125 shot. The car drives fine with the nitrous tune on the street.

Yes...…. you will not have maximum performance on the street due to the timing being retarded, but your not doing hard launches, WOT pulls, or using nitrous on the street (at least I hope your not), so the loss from the timing being retarded won't make any difference for normal driving.

Clarkstar 11-11-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS (Post 10360385)
I don't swap out tunes. I believe my timing was retarded 5 degrees for the 125 shot. The car drives fine with the nitrous tune on the street.

Yes...…. you will not have maximum performance on the street due to the timing being retarded, but your not doing hard launches, WOT pulls, or using nitrous on the street (at least I hope your not), so the loss from the timing being retarded won't make any difference for normal driving.

I do lots of WOT pulls using nitrous on the street.... what's wrong with that?

Joe M 2012 2SS 11-11-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkstar (Post 10360398)

Using nitrous on the street is against the law. You can have a bottle in your car, but it cannot be connected.
It's also very dangerous. I did try mine out on the street when I first got it on a road with no traffic, and the rear tires (used my MT ET Street R Drag Radials) broke loose quickly getting the car a little sideways when activating it at 25 mph, 35,mph, and 45mph. I quickly let out of it each time. I only use it now where it is intended and legal to use, at the drag strip.

Clarkstar 11-11-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS (Post 10360463)
Using nitrous on the street is against the law. You can have a bottle in your car, but it cannot be connected.
It's also very dangerous. I did try mine out on the street when I first got it on a road with no traffic, and the rear tires (used my MT ET Street R Drag Radials) broke loose quickly getting the car a little sideways when activating it at 25 mph, 35,mph, and 45mph. I quickly let out of it each time. I only use it now where it is intended and legal to use, at the drag strip.

I also have drag radials. I have a window switch, on at 3000rpm, off at 6800, shift light comes on at 6900. I can feel the tires spin a tad when it comes on... but it hooks up and pulls hard.

Clarkstar 11-11-2018 07:17 PM

Watch "3" spintech in car" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/9F0xdhSzrAM

For your viewing pleasure...

Joe M 2012 2SS 11-11-2018 07:41 PM

I have a L99 with a 3200 stall, no window switch, it activates at WOT. Impossible to make it hook up on a non-prepped surface with nitrous activated.

Regardless of driving a manual...automatic.....stock converter...stalled converter.....window switch...no window switch....it's still illegal to use on the street.

If you don't believe me call your local highway patrol....city or county police department. They will tell you the same thing....it's not street legal.

There isn't a single situation in which I need nitrous when driving on public streets anyway.

I don't want to jack Bandit's thread about the law concerning nitrous use on the street though......his question was what to do about the timing retard when not using nitrous.

I have daily driven my car for over a year with the nitrous tune on it with no issues at all from the timing retard.

Clarkstar 11-11-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS (Post 10360497)
I have a L99 with a 3200 stall, no window switch, it activates at WOT. Impossible to make it hook up on a non-prepped surface with nitrous activated.

Regardless of driving a manual...automatic.....stock converter...stalled converter.....window switch...no window switch....it's still illegal to use on the street.

If you don't believe me call your local highway patrol....city or county police department. They will tell you the same thing....it's not street legal.

There isn't a single situation in which I need nitrous when driving on public streets anyway.

I don't want to jack Bandit's thread about the law concerning nitrous use on the street though......his question was what to do about the timing retard when not using nitrous.

I have daily driven my car for over a year with the nitrous tune on it with no issues at all from the timing retard.

Relax dude, I never said it was legal... I think everyone knows its not. Just like speeding, not wearing your seat belt, turning with out a directional... and on and on...

Joe M 2012 2SS 11-11-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkstar (Post 10360507)
Relax dude, I never said it was legal... I think everyone knows its not. Just like speeding, not wearing your seat belt, turning with out a directional... and on and on...

I am completely relaxed. You made this response to my reply...…..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkstar (Post 10360398)

I simply responded with the truth about using nitrous on public streets. If you choose to do it, that is your decision.

I think it would be a good idea to get :focus:...….Bandit created this thread to get replies from nitrous users on what to do about the timing retard from the nitrous tune when not using it. I haven't had any issues at all with it on the street, and I don't believe he will either.:thumbsup:

ttshovel 11-11-2018 11:38 PM

tag into the iat sensor using a relay that will ground it when the nitrous is armed. set these iat values for something like -100 degrees. something that can never be achieved. pull your xx degrees out and there you have it. n/a timing and nitrous timing, all one tune

Badbubba 11-12-2018 09:01 PM

Lnc2000