Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Chevrolet Volts Begin Shipping to Dealerships (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119940)

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 12-14-2010 07:45 AM

Chevrolet Volts Begin Shipping to Dealerships

First Customers Should Get Extended-Range Electric Cars Within Days
2010-12-13

DETROIT – The first Chevrolet Volts left the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant on Monday destined for initial retail launch markets. Customers in California, Texas, Washington D.C. and New York could receive the world’s first-and-only electric vehicle with extended-range capability in the next few days.

These are the first of an expected 160 vehicles to be shipped this week.

“Today is a historic milestone for Chevrolet,” said Tony DiSalle, Volt marketing director. “We have redefined automotive transportation with the Volt, and soon the first customers will be able to experience gas-free commuting with the freedom to take an extended trip whenever or wherever they want.”

The heart of the Volt is its Voltec electric propulsion system, which combines battery-only electric driving with an efficient, gas-powered engine giving the Volt up to 379 total miles of driving before having to recharge the battery or fill up the small gas tank. The Volt is the only mass produced U.S.-built electric vehicle.

Earlier this year, Chevrolet shipped 15 pre-production Volts to technology enthusiasts and electric vehicle advocates whom were the first consumers to experience the Volt every day under real-world conditions during a 90-day vehicle and charging evaluation program.

MotorTrend, Automobile and Green Car Journal each recently selected the Volt as their Car of the Year.

:happyanim:

a_Username 12-14-2010 06:23 PM

I just wish I could afford one! Damn camaro taking all my money! ;)

upflying 12-14-2010 06:53 PM

Volt is Motor Trend Car of the Year. Pretty impressive from what I read.
Not a good idea to buy the first model year of any car though.
It'll take a few years for the bugs to be ironed out. As they become common, the price will come down. I would guess dealer mark-up on them is high.
My local dealer does not have a tech trained to service them.

BackinBlackSS/RS 12-14-2010 07:14 PM

I just got goose bumps!!! :headbang:

BWProductions 12-14-2010 07:14 PM

Becky, let me know when a Volt comes in, I want to come see it!! :thumbup:

DGthe3 12-14-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 2638231)
Volt is Motor Trend Car of the Year. Pretty impressive from what I read.
Not a good idea to buy the first model year of any car though.
It'll take a few years for the bugs to be ironed out. As they become common, the price will come down. I would guess dealer mark-up on them is high.
My local dealer does not have a tech trained to service them.

GM's recent introductions have been experiencing fewer problems than many of the older models

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 12-15-2010 10:13 AM

Retired Airline Pilot Takes Delivery of First Chevrolet Volt
2010-12-15

PARSIPPANY, N.J. – Retired airline pilot Jeffrey Kaffee on Wednesday became the first customer in the United States to take delivery of a Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle with extended range capability.
Kaffee returned early from a vacation to pick up his Volt at Gearhart Chevrolet in Denville, N.J. His is one of 360 Volts being shipped this week from the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant. Others were delivered to Chevrolet dealers in the Washington, D.C., area and are en route to California and Austin, Texas.
Kaffee is trading in a Toyota Prius hybrid for his Volt.

:thumbsup:

BackinBlackSS/RS 12-15-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet (Post 2640037)

:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, :headbang: :thumbsup: :wave:

FenwickHockey65 12-15-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet (Post 2640037)

Mwahahahahahaha...excellent...

DocHolliday 12-15-2010 10:17 AM

Thats great news becky....thanks for keeping us posted!

PAUL SS 12-15-2010 10:21 AM

Do they let just anybody buy a Volt, or do they find out how a customer intends to use the car? I know the Volt is an extended range electric vehicle, but it makes more sense to have one if your daily comute is less than 40 or 50 miles than if you drive 75 miles one way to get to work.

ANYWAYS, this is excellent news. Long live the Volt and GM.

FenwickHockey65 12-15-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL SS (Post 2640069)
Do they let just anybody buy a Volt, or do they find out how a customer intends to use the car? I know the Volt is an extended range electric vehicle, but it makes more sense to have one if your daily comute is less than 40 or 50 miles than if you drive 75 miles one way to get to work.

Anyone in the initial launch markets can get one if they have the cash.

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 12-15-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAUL SS (Post 2640069)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 2640085)
Anyone in the initial launch markets can get one if they have the cash.

With a Volt....you could drive across the country...
the generator would be on, creating the extended range
...until you recharge.

upflying 12-15-2010 01:53 PM

Judging by the chat at the bottom, the owner of this Volt wants to sell it for about $90,000..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks