Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   So my Scosche kit went up in smokes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206710)

dooski 03-01-2012 03:53 PM

So my Scosche kit went up in smokes

So i finally got around to installing my Head unit with the Scosche kit and when everything was all dont i turn the key and white smoke just poured out of the touchscreen... I always triple check my connections so i know it wasnt my fault at all. So i called up Scosche and they told me to just send the touchscreen adapter only. I didnt have to fight with them or anything which is pretty cool. Lets just hope the new adapter works :) and hopefully it didnt mess up my radio cause that didnt turn on either.

GunnyG 03-01-2012 04:03 PM

:popcorn:

Eich 03-01-2012 06:43 PM

Seriously? Smoke? Wow!

dooski 03-01-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eich (Post 4572396)
Seriously? Smoke? Wow!

Yea it sucks, and now it smells like burnt electronics lol

camarograna2 03-01-2012 10:22 PM

Eeewww hate that smell. Smells like burnt beans lol.
Did you get yours from the first cut of Production or second? I got mine off second cut and have not had issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooski (Post 4572411)
Yea it sucks, and now it smells like burnt electronics lol

dooski 03-02-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarograna2 (Post 4573940)
Eeewww hate that smell. Smells like burnt beans lol.
Did you get yours from the first cut of Production or second? I got mine off second cut and have not had issues.

Eh not sure I ordered mine from sonic electronix about a month ago. Is there a way to figure out if it was first cut or no?

austinjames 03-02-2012 01:58 AM

Bet all you guys wish you had the calculator now, i mean metra kit.

I cant tell you how many threads on this site said the scosche kit would be out at the beginning of the summer, so i waited 4 months until september and nothing. And, now that its out half a year later, I read a thread everyday on one breaking. Glad I didnt wait. Ive had the metra for 6 months and its been flawless. sorry to hear about all of this going on with this kit, but its hard to bash the metra when its proven effective for a long long time now

dooski 03-02-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinjames (Post 4574504)
but all you guys wish you had the calculator now, i mean metra kit.

I think they both have there pros and cons. btw i like the looks for both of them :)

camarograna2 03-02-2012 07:51 AM

dooski - i dont think sonic electronics pre ordered in time to get any off the first cut although they thought they had. I was waiting list number 3 but you never know you could of gotten it before me. They received the second cut of the product around 2/5 nd shipped out on 2/6. I got mine 2/9. If those dates match up with you then you got second cut

austin james - im one of the guys and no i didnt wish i got the calculator. More power to you but that metra kit is not my kinda party at all. My non issue build including the sosche kit can be found http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206016

Also i thought there are longer and older threads talking smack about metra issues but i could be wrong

Hamilton2400 03-02-2012 08:00 AM

I got the scosche kit. It's been flawless. No problems what so ever. I would never settle for something that would make my camaro ugly in any way (metra kit).

kalimus 03-02-2012 08:22 AM

If by "proven effective", you mean "hasn't lit on fire", then yes. There are people that have been through like 4 of those kits during the course of 6 months. I'm on my second one in a year, and it's shot as well (LCD keeps going out). And lets not even talk about the kits that come with sticking buttons and poor fitment...

I'm not jumping on the scosche bandwagon by any means, I'm waiting for people with the Alpine to get some use feedback before I change over. I've always had great results with their products, and I'm sincerely hoping that their kit lives up to all my other experiences. Just too early to tell.

UMjman 03-02-2012 08:39 AM

I've had my Scosche kit installed now for 3 weeks. Also got it from Sonic. The only issue is the steering wheel volume etc. didn't work. They are going to replace the unit no charge. I had a Metra kit in the car for 2 weeks and hated it. I Really like the look of the Scosche kit and do not have any complaints to date.

camarograna2 03-02-2012 08:56 AM

you may want to call scosche directly on this steering wheel issue. My understanding is if you get another unit it will not solve issue. They have told other members this will be fixed in a firmware update. The current firmware update does not fix this. Hate to see you have to go through trouble of shipping out if not needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMjman (Post 4575125)
I've had my Scosche kit installed now for 3 weeks. Also got it from Sonic. The only issue is the steering wheel volume etc. didn't work. They are going to replace the unit no charge. I had a Metra kit in the car for 2 weeks and hated it. I Really like the look of the Scosche kit and do not have any complaints to date.

GB EB 03-13-2012 01:46 PM

so you have to send it back to the factory to get the smoke put back in? :)