Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Header Question? Will my axle back negate my power? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191883)

newagemuscle 12-28-2011 07:02 PM

Header Question? Will my axle back negate my power?

Here's the scoop... I have the SLP LMII axle back and am looking to get some Kooks LT's. Am I wasting my time putting LT's on my car if I am running just an axle back? Does the axle back restrict the flow to where it is a waste of my money doing LT's with just an axle back. If I could go back I would have just done the cat-back, but whats done is done.

Is anyone else running LT's with just an axle back?

Thanks

jeffny09 12-28-2011 07:04 PM

I'm not to sure, I did lts wit high flows and straight pipes ,

newagemuscle 12-28-2011 07:07 PM

I plan on doing the high flow cats also. I thought I had it figured out on what I wanted to do, but now after reading I wonder if I need to dump my axle back and get a full corsa cat-back too. I would love too do both, but $$$ adds up real quick between everything.

Parag 12-28-2011 07:09 PM

almost all axel back systems do absolutely nothing for power. headers will add power. the reason most people dont do what you are doing is because it is usually a waste to replace the front and the rear and leave the middle. they just get the whole system. there is no negation of power

tjbusa 12-28-2011 07:13 PM

No matter what, they will out perform those stock boat anchors. So, no

alybudhwani 12-28-2011 08:19 PM

you should be fine. a lot of people get shorties and axlebacks, and leave everything stock and they still make some power. so im assuming you would gain a lot more power with lt headers

Fireslayer 12-28-2011 08:22 PM

LT's give you preformace and sound. Everything else is just sound......and more money of course. Skip the cat back and save your money. LT's with your axle back may even be too loud for your taste. LT's with stock cat back and high flow cats are prefect for me. I get a bit of a deeper tone at idle and normal driving and a growling LS V8 when I put down the peddle.

Smirnoff 12-28-2011 08:40 PM

No problem!

Quote:

Originally Posted by newagemuscle (Post 4229915)
Here's the scoop... I have the SLP LMII axle back and am looking to get some Kooks LT's. Am I wasting my time putting LT's on my car if I am running just an axle back? Does the axle back restrict the flow to where it is a waste of my money doing LT's with just an axle back. If I could go back I would have just done the cat-back, but whats done is done.

Is anyone else running LT's with just an axle back?

Thanks

Several of us are running LT's with stock exhaust with no reduction in HP at all.....several threads on C5 validate through dyno testing that OEM exhaust flow(s) very well!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...S3Mufflers.jpg

newagemuscle 12-28-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 4230413)
Several of us are running LT's with stock exhaust with no reduction in HP at all.....several threads on C5 validate through dyno testing that OEM exhaust flow(s) very well!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...S3Mufflers.jpg

By your sig it looks like you have exactly what I am looking to do... other than purhaps the Loudmouth II. I curently have the Rotofab too. What kind of numbers are yopu putting down with that setup?

Smirnoff 12-29-2011 08:08 AM

Currently at (RW) 417HP/411TQ - definitely a significant difference in acceleration/performance than stock!

Get your Kooks Jet-Hot coated, a small price to pay for the extra-value.....

2010SSRSM6 12-29-2011 08:21 AM

There is only one axle-back that I've seen anyone say robbed them of power. Do a search to confirm, but I think it was one of flow masters kits. Please don't take this as fact because it's been a while since I read the thread.

I believe it was busyboi's car, but again not completely positive.

I'm running BBK LT's and a JBA axle-back. With a CAI and tune I put down 430/430 on a stingy dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v6sonoma 12-29-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 (Post 4232132)
There is only one axle-back that I've seen anyone say robbed them of power. Do a search to confirm, but I think it was one of flow masters kits. Please don't take this as fact because it's been a while since I read the thread.

I believe it was busyboi's car, but again not completely positive.

I'm running BBK LT's and a JBA axle-back. With a CAI and tune I put down 430/430 on a stingy dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds more like a generous dyno. :chevy:

sscamaro 12-30-2011 12:14 PM

I added the SLP LMII after I got it home from the dealer. A week later I installed Kooks LT headers/hi-flo cats. I didn't change the mid pipe. Kooks said I'd gain 5-10 hp with an X-pipe for $300 more. I couldn't see spending $300 for 5-10 HP. I had a dyno tune, a ported intake and aported TB after that. I got 424/rwhp. I think that is pretty good.

geaux_tigerss 12-30-2011 12:16 PM

I recommend headers with corsa. It sounds incredible!