Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   4 gauges in the metric system (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113503)

trunto 10-31-2010 02:37 PM

4 gauges in the metric system

Hey guys,

I hope you are all well. I am sitting here in Europe with my Camaro....and did want to have alittle change.

I have the US model, and I woudl love to change the 4 Gauges (oil, temp, etc.) to the metric system like you have it in your cars and the mexican models.

Is there any way to buy the form and to re-program it...?

Has anyone a site where i could buy it?

thanks in advance :D

Merc 10-31-2010 04:53 PM

Beyond me. :iono:But I bet some will know. Not sure if you posted in the right section.:thumbsup:

trunto 10-31-2010 08:17 PM

well I thought regional forums, canada so... :D

should I post it somewhere else? :popcorn:

Burnt_RS 10-31-2010 08:23 PM

I bet you just need to buy the metric gauges. I know the cars can flip back and forth between metric and the US systems on the regular display, so I don't know if a car made for the US is any different from one for Canada (or the rest of the world). This would make me think that the needles in the gauges move the same, it's just the face of the gauges that is different. If not, it might only be a resistor difference in the gauges themselves, but I don't see GM going to that much trouble. I figure its only the faces that are different. Can they be pulled apart? It might be easy to make your own faces for the gauges and get them printed professionally on some card and re-insert them in the gauges. sorry for the ramble, hopefully it was some help, maybe haha

skuttduck 10-31-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnt_RS (Post 2502173)
I bet you just need to buy the metric gauges. I know the cars can flip back and forth between metric and the US systems on the regular display, so I don't know if a car made for the US is any different from one for Canada (or the rest of the world). This would make me think that the needles in the gauges move the same, it's just the face of the gauges that is different. If not, it might only be a resistor difference in the gauges themselves, but I don't see GM going to that much trouble. I figure its only the faces that are different. Can they be pulled apart? It might be easy to make your own faces for the gauges and get them printed professionally on some card and re-insert them in the gauges. sorry for the ramble, hopefully it was some help, maybe haha

I'd be willing to bet that is all you need, just change the gauge faces. From what I understand, everything is done in Metric (According to NIST), we just keep the US standard for convenience.

I believe the Canadian faces for the gauges are shown in the owners manual.
You could probably take the PDF of the owners manual and have it printed, or look for the gauges on ebay.ca or something.

trunto 10-31-2010 09:00 PM

Yay i thought about that too...

A friend of mine is doing stuff like that, he almost changed everything on his car :D:D

I was curious, because I thought you can get the parts on a HP from gm canada....thats why I was wondering if I could order it directly there and save me the time with all other stuff....

But I didnÄt find anything on the net :iono:

no candian owners who know where to get the parts...? :help:

Burnt_RS 10-31-2010 09:26 PM

what parts are you looking for? if you contact a GM dealer in Canada via email (or via PM since there are a few on here, like member 'blkngldbabe' is from Highland GM), Im sure they can ship to you.

trunto 10-31-2010 09:30 PM

that would be awesome!

I am looking for the auxiliary ones!
http://www.chevypartsplus.com/produc...l-trans-p-2160

where can I find all the dealers in here? is there a specific thread? I am kinda new here as you can see....

thanks alot in any case!

shazam 11-04-2010 02:47 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just the faces, not the needles, funny because I wanted the US ones, how much is a kilopascal really! I wish we could see the tire pressure to read in lbs.

If you find out an easy 'face' replacement or whatnot let me know!

98nosz28 11-04-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazam (Post 2515548)
I'm pretty sure it's just the faces, not the needles, funny because I wanted the US ones, how much is a kilopascal really! I wish we could see the tire pressure to read in lbs.

If you find out an easy 'face' replacement or whatnot let me know!

You can go into the menu and change your car from metric to imperial. and it changes it to psi

trunto 11-04-2010 07:59 PM

yeah, but the gauges can't change ;) you have to order new ones !

sask-man 11-08-2010 07:07 PM

NO if the car is a USA car you cannot buy and put in Canadian Metric gauges. They dont work!

I assume your putting them in a 1SS so if your buying the guages make dam sure you get the wire harness to tap into the main harness or the gauges are useless. Those wire adapters are next too impossible to get from GM seperately. I also found that out the hard way. Thankfully I found a member on the forum who made me one.

You would think that the computer would just adapt, but GM, in there infinite wisdom made it so it doesn't for whatever reason. The same thinking of putting in a whole different wire harness in the 1SS and the 2SS.

trunto 11-08-2010 07:50 PM

No am sorry, its an 2011 2SS with RS....so you think it won't work, or you KNOW it won't work...?

thanks

sask-man 11-14-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trunto (Post 2528695)
No am sorry, its an 2011 2SS with RS....so you think it won't work, or you KNOW it won't work...?

thanks

The guages are standard on the 2SS/RS? They should be in there as standard equipment.