Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Which headers did you all get? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258922)

Kerr 11-02-2012 02:13 PM

Which headers did you all get?

So, the 2011 SS convertiable now has a wopping 300 miles on it in 14 months, it worn out lol.. so far only modification is the GM performace cat back, which was installed when we picked up the car.

Anyway are any of the headers worth any real power gains, and how loud does it get? This heavy pig needs something, its just slow so anything has to help some. Right now the camaro is quiter than the three denali's we have which are all stock, and im not 100% sure its not slower then denali's two.. Also im not interested in spending $2K or something nuts on a set of headers.

Anyway let me know what you all have tried and had results with, or should i just say screw it and no worry about it.

Swampmonster 11-02-2012 02:16 PM

i just got american racing headers today! just got to figure out what im gonna do about o2 extensions...but i got mine for a really really good price, way under 2k. but every arh system ive heard sounds great!

UNRIVALED SS 11-02-2012 02:30 PM

I have the complete American racing 3" system with 1 7/8" headers. I did the whole system along with other mods at the same time . So I really can't say how much louder it will sound from that change alone. I can say that most people say the car sounds great. I do have a performance cam also, and that's adds some sound. I think most of the headers out there are probably all pretty good.

rjdapilmoto 11-02-2012 02:46 PM

I have American Racing Headers with Hi-Flow Cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMBT4ppj64

litle88 11-02-2012 02:50 PM

Kooks 1 7/8's lt with Flowmasters and center mount exhaust.

2SS45th 11-02-2012 02:51 PM

2" Stainless Works, also with the center exhaust.

GaBoy25 11-02-2012 02:55 PM

I knew I'd be trading up sooner than later. So wait for it.................OBX. Hate on haters:laugh:

GaBoy25 11-02-2012 03:02 PM

Oh yea they cost me $400 installed myself (no cats no O2 extensions)

Can't beat that

JDP Tech 11-02-2012 03:25 PM

Long tube headers are definitely worth it, with high flow cats and a tune they will give you around a 40 wheel horsepower increase, and make it sound like it should have from the factory.

Most of the cars we do headers on are Kooks Headers; their fit, quality, ease of install, looks, and sound are very top notch, and well below the $2k mark, in fact, below the $1k mark, for top-o-the-line headers.

American Racing Headers and Stainless Works also make very good headers.

If you legally can, stay away from shortie headers, as they don't really give much performance or sound in comparison to long tube headers.

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime!
- Jeremy :chevy:

axis 11-02-2012 05:05 PM

A quick search of this section for long tube headers well tell you everything you want to know and a LOT MORE.

Oxtar41 11-02-2012 05:16 PM

Dynatech, Half the price, make the same power as the 2000 dollar headers and the quality is top notch. Also with dynatech you DO NOT have to remove the steering shaft to install them like I think you have to do with kooks? I could be wrong on that.

badazss 11-02-2012 05:28 PM

I have stainless power header and hi flo cats with flowmaster 40 here is the video

Apex Motorsports 11-02-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerr (Post 5766483)
So, the 2011 SS convertiable now has a wopping 300 miles on it in 14 months, it worn out lol.. so far only modification is the GM performace cat back, which was installed when we picked up the car.

Anyway are any of the headers worth any real power gains, and how loud does it get? This heavy pig needs something, its just slow so anything has to help some. Right now the camaro is quiter than the three denali's we have which are all stock, and im not 100% sure its not slower then denali's two.. Also im not interested in spending $2K or something nuts on a set of headers.

Anyway let me know what you all have tried and had results with, or should i just say screw it and no worry about it.

With a set of well designed headers you can easily see 30-40rwhp. A 10% gain is definitely something you are going to feel. With long tube headers and high flow cats you are going to hear more in the passenger compartment and out the tail pipes. With your current set up it will be noticeable but it should not be anything crazy though. It will have a nice rumble but still be civilized at normal operating RPMs but they will let themselves be known when you stomp on the GO pedal.

We carry several brands of long tube headers but most of our customers seem to land on Stainless Works. They are top notch in terms of quality, performance, and value. If you would like to discuss it in more detail feel free to send me a PM.

JDP Tech 11-02-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtar41 (Post 5767123)
Also with dynatech you DO NOT have to remove the steering shaft to install them like I think you have to do with kooks? I could be wrong on that.

You are wrong on that http://www.clipartof.com/images/emot...out_tongue.gif ;)

The Kooks go in without having to remove anything but the spark plug wires, dip stick tube, and stock exhaust manifolds with cats. Usually takes no more than 3 hours for a normal person to install.

- Jeremy :chevy: