Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Supercharger whine (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206908)

DangerZL1 03-02-2012 11:56 AM

Supercharger whine

I've watched a lot of videos of the ZL1 and can hear the supercharger whine in some of them. Can you hear it inside the car over the exhaust?

GTAHVIT 03-02-2012 11:57 AM

The eaton rotors used in the ZL1 are known for being quiet compared to others.

You can hear the blower whine but it's a lot more subdued in the cabin.

DangerZL1 03-02-2012 12:01 PM

I remember reading that, but I'm hoping you can still hear it some inside the cabin.

ffrcobra_65 03-02-2012 12:02 PM

one you replace the stock airbox with an open one, and the air filter, you should hear it a litte better.

DangerZL1 03-02-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 4576159)
one you replace the stock airbox with an open one, and the air filter, you should hear it a litte better.

That's good news. I didn't think the airbox would have any effect on the supercharger's sound. I've never ridden in a supercharged car before.

Joebot8484 03-02-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 4576159)

yup, and add a pulley if you really want to hear her scream! :laugh:

SS main 03-02-2012 01:57 PM

I hope you can hear it, I love loud superchargers

Sack Rat 2SS 03-02-2012 04:07 PM

I have the ZL1 blower on my car. Cannot hear it at all except very slightly when on hard acceleration and higher RPM. This is the way I personally like it. Very stealth. :chevy:

fbodfather 03-02-2012 04:25 PM

manymanymany discussions about the whine.....we listened to many other supercharged cars - some are annoying - some are nearly silent.

The ZL1 whine isn't annoying - you'll hear it under certain conditions - and i think most will be happy with it.

.......and oh that wonderful exhaust .......:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

Deke736 03-02-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather (Post 4577437)
manymanymany discussions about the whine.....we listened to many other supercharged cars - some are annoying - some are nearly silent.

The ZL1 whine isn't annoying - you'll hear it under certain conditions - and i think most will be happy with it.

.......and oh that wonderful exhaust .......:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

After reading the comments on the sound development for the exhaust as well as the supercharger, I simply cannot wait to experience the sensory experience beyond driving that this car will bring!

2010 SSRS 03-02-2012 04:31 PM

I like the Superchargers with the real loud whine, like the Vortech with the Cog drive.

hognutz 03-02-2012 04:54 PM

people who want a ton of whine will have to change the unit. OEM cars are not going to be designed to be that way. there is a special silencer ring in the turbo on our cummins jsut to minimize noise. nice thing there is people can pull it if they want to hear it.

I am more of an exhaust note guy. always have been. other people like there noise gear drives, blower whine, bov, etc. I will just like the right exhaust note and the times to back it up. So for me it i will be perfect. when you hammer it you will get a bit of it but just driving around you won't have to be anoyed by it.

leviticus88 03-02-2012 05:34 PM

Exhaust note is fine but, nothing turns more heads than an SC scream coming from the distance, growing louder and louder but still not seeing the car until finally the car comes into view and passes you, turning the SC scream into raw exhaust note. The average person has no idea why the car sounds like that and the people that do know it means business. I love the scream of my little Eaton M62 and wish it was even louder and made noise on idle.

Coolidge 03-02-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leviticus88 (Post 4577824)
Exhaust note is fine but, nothing turns more heads than an SC scream coming from the distance, growing louder and louder but still not seeing the car until finally the car comes into view and passes you, turning the SC scream into raw exhaust note. The average person has no idea why the car sounds like that and the people that do know it means business. I love the scream of my little Eaton M62 and wish it was even louder and made noise on idle.

What? What's that? Sorry I can't hear your SC scream over my exaust at 6000 rpm whoopah whoopah whoopah. :D