Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   FenwickHockey65's Great Thread of GM Knowledge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296229)

2013ZL1FUN 01-05-2024 03:41 PM

If we are going ALL in on EV, why are they building so many new gasoline stations around me?

GroundhogSS 01-05-2024 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN (Post 11393699)
If we are going ALL in on EV, why are they building so many new gasoline stations around me?

I guess they're cheaper to build than EV stations. They know the market.

shaffe 01-23-2024 08:17 AM

Didn't feel like making a new thread, but since there is a lot of GM knowledge in here I figure I would ask here. I have a buddy who bought an 86 Grand National and he is having trouble tracking down some parts. What's the best place for him to look? He's looking specifically right now for an instrument panel support bracket.

Martinjlm 01-30-2024 08:18 AM

In their Earnings Call GM just confirmed that there will be a PHEV in the portfolio. Other confidential information I have received indicates that it’s most likely on the T1XX platform (full sized trucks/utes). Makes sense. It would provide GM an interesting alternative to RamCharger.

genxer 01-31-2024 02:35 AM

If you don't mind questions Martinjlm:
Is this related to the 6th gen V8 investment announced last year?
Could that be interpreted as a clue they're leaning more toward a F-150 style hybrid than Ramcharger setup?

For the California plug-in allowance, would a pickup be unladen to meet battery range?

ariZona28 01-31-2024 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 11398170)
Didn't feel like making a new thread, but since there is a lot of GM knowledge in here I figure I would ask here. I have a buddy who bought an 86 Grand National and he is having trouble tracking down some parts. What's the best place for him to look? He's looking specifically right now for an instrument panel support bracket.

Tell him to try these folks. Classic Industries. I had so-so luck with them when I got some parts for my '71 Cutlass. They might have what your buddy needs.

Martinjlm 01-31-2024 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genxer (Post 11400172)
If you don't mind questions Martinjlm:
Is this related to the 6th gen V8 investment announced last year?

Too early to say but it would make sense. You’d ant to lean towards the most modern engine designs if for no other reason than longevity and to tie into on going development.
Quote:

Could that be interpreted as a clue they're leaning more toward a F-150 style hybrid than Ramcharger setup?

Keep in mind the idea that this would be for full-size trucks is my opinion / expectation. GM has said nothing on this in either direction. The RamCharger is a setup very similar to Volt. The ICE does nothing to assist moving the wheels, towing mass, or hauling capability. It buys time by putting energy back in the battery so the vehicle can keep doing whatever it’s doing for longer. If GM goes the PHEV route, I would expect physical connection to the wheels which would help in all these situations. When I was still at GM, the Product Development community was very explicit in communicating the difference between a PHEV and a range extender. Since Mary Barra said “PHEV”, I’m assuming those distinctions still hold.

Quote:

For the California plug-in allowance, would a pickup be unladen to meet battery range?

I think so but I would have to look at what was actually signed into law. When I read the Executive Order it was very gray on how to treat PHEV and range extenders. Sort of a non-answer but that’s all I got right now.

detamble13 01-31-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 11400209)
Keep in mind the idea that this would be for full-size trucks is my opinion / expectation. GM has said nothing on this in either direction. The RamCharger is a setup very similar to Volt. The ICE does nothing to assist moving the wheels, towing mass, or hauling capability.

James in your opinion will full size trucks continue to be ICE by 2035? From what I've read I believe trucks get more of a lenient evaluation of their emissions in comparison to cars and cuvs. If that continues to be the case I'd assume customers wanting a gas engine would just buy a truck.

KMPrenger 01-31-2024 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 11399921)
In their Earnings Call GM just confirmed that there will be a PHEV in the portfolio. Other confidential information I have received indicates that it’s most likely on the T1XX platform (full sized trucks/utes). Makes sense. It would provide GM an interesting alternative to RamCharger.

That is very interesting.

Martinjlm 01-31-2024 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detamble13 (Post 11400229)
James in your opinion will full size trucks continue to be ICE by 2035? From what I've read I believe trucks get more of a lenient evaluation of their emissions in comparison to cars and cuvs. If that continues to be the case I'd assume customers wanting a gas engine would just buy a truck.

I’ve always thought that would be the case. Even with GM’s Zero Emissios by 2035 it was phrased as an aspiration. We always figured full size trucks and SUVs (ie - cash cows) would be the last to convert and would likely, at least for the 2500 series and above stay ICE even beyond 2035. That’s why the Gen VI engine.

snizzle 02-01-2024 08:35 AM

So hybrid only for trucks i'm guessing because it's tough to stay competitive without one given what Ford/Ram are doing. Even with a next gen V8 coming that may be HD only.

I think they should reintro the Volt as well. Folks loved that thing. Is GM back to wondering what customers want?

shaffe 02-01-2024 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariZona28 (Post 11400173)
Tell him to try these folks. Classic Industries. I had so-so luck with them when I got some parts for my '71 Cutlass. They might have what your buddy needs.

Thanks! I will have him check that out

GroundhogSS 02-19-2024 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's spreading.

Attachment 1146687

silversleeper 02-19-2024 04:55 PM

Huh, I didn't know about the range extender in production. I wouldn't particularly want or need a 3.6L doing that. I'd ideally want the tech engineered into the GM 4.8L cut down to two cyl of 1.2L for the generator. It could be tuned on intake and exhaust to give even a ram air charge at say 2500rpm where it would run very efficiently for main charging or highway high speeds. It would idle at stoplights to lower noise and consumption and rev up to say 6000 rpm at full throttle to augment the 50mi PHEV battery pack. Motors I'd give it 250hp electric motors maybe more. The mpg on that would be fantastic. I'd call them 1500 series trucks and they would suit 90% of people and make a 2500 series with a non supercharged 6.0L for serious work. But probably it wouldn't sell, not because it wouldn't fill the need perfectly, because I ain't buyin no 2cyl truck. Never mind it gets 50mpg and out accelerates and outpulls their truck. It would take clever and honest marketing. "Gasoline Boosted electric truck" rather than 2cyl motor truck.