Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New Tunable Solo System (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93944)

TJ91 07-09-2010 03:27 PM

I told you, you would go SOLO! That is a really cool system, i remember SOLO explaining to me about the j pipe when my car was in the shop. ALl i know is that the guys down at Solo are all a class act, ive never experienced such great customer service before!
Say goodbye to your gas milage! I keep trying to find excuses to drive my car :D hence my horrible gas milage :D

ckaram 07-09-2010 04:24 PM

That is wicked weird exhaust.....and I like it. I installed Solo's automatic kit resonators on my 6-speed Solo kit to reduce the drone. Works pretty well.

May not be able to pick up the sound difference, but post a clip for the hell of it.

WHIPPLECHARGED 07-09-2010 07:16 PM

So it looks to me like the J pipe takes the place of having mufflers. Which is going to be louder, but with no drone ? My Magnaflow mufflers don't have drone, but they are not as loud as most of the other exhaust system out there.

zepcom 07-09-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUR BEE (Post 2078165)
So it looks to me like the J pipe takes the place of having mufflers. Which is going to be louder, but with no drone ? My Magnaflow mufflers don't have drone, but they are not as loud as most of the other exhaust system out there.

"Kinda".

The SOLO offering of "Muffler" on their catback systems, is the single mid-muffler that has an integral X-pipe design (and some other "magic") inside it. The rear pipes, however, where GM saught to further silence it with a set of "rear can mufflers" ... SOLO decided to have "just stright pipes and shiny cool looking tips". Then some flavors of cars had drone, so the J-pipes were introduced to combat the drone.

So the solo system has the mid muffler (a straight pipe system with no mufflers sounds terrible on most cars!) as the central point, but aft of that, no mufflers, just straight pipes and a device that targets a certain unplesant frequency to keep the permasmile applied and the accellerator pedal applied.

And by the way guys, although I don't own a camaro, I totally understand what some of you are saying with the fuel mileage. While adding SOLO exhaust products to your car is making it somewhat more efficient, your gas mileage goes down because you find yourself always tromping the car to get those wonderful new exhaust sounds to come out in full force. Happens with SOLO G8's too, so don't feel like it's just you. We should start a support group or something, lol.

Hope this helps, fellas.

I like this board. Mind if I stay a while? :D

--zep

mrbrans5 07-09-2010 11:01 PM

"7 pipes"

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckaram (Post 2077547)
That is wicked weird exhaust.....and I like it. I installed Solo's automatic kit resonators on my 6-speed Solo kit to reduce the drone. Works pretty well.

May not be able to pick up the sound difference, but post a clip for the hell of it.

They tried the auto. kit on my M6, and even a few different resonators. The resonators reduced the drone quite a bit but I guess I'm just too picky... sorry Jeff. :facepalm:

They took some video of my car on take-off and driving by. Hopefully it will get posted for you to hear. I assume this is what you want, because there is nothing to hear in the cabin. I'm not exaggerating... before the "7 pipes", the sound at 2k RPM's especially in 5th and 6th gear on a slight up-grade was unbearably horrible. My OnStar voice recognition wouldn't work and listening to the radio was impossible, at any volume! This is what we targeted to tune out and I'm happy to report that 2k RPM in any gear (even under a load) is the quiet spot now! That’s my cruising spot. As Jeff said, "You'll have no problems traveling across Canada, even with grandma in the car now".

:happyanim:

All I hear is that soft Solo burble on take-off.

RickRay 07-09-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOINGSOLO2 (Post 2076368)
MrBrans5, that was an awesome day yesterday. We made some great progress and it was very exciting to duplicate the J-pipe technology on the V6 Standard Camaro. We made a ton of progress yesterday. Thanks for making the 2+ hour drive both ways and hanging out for 10 hours to get this done.

Hi Zep. Nice to see you over here on the Camaro board. Once again thanks so much for all the time and efforts on your part to get the original G8 J-pipes perfected. Thanks for the fantastic post and all the information. All I can say to add to it is the J-pipe technology is near magic. If you can measure the drone frequencies ( that in itself is not at all easy ) you can eliminate them using J-pipes with no adverse effects.

Rick Ray give Jeff a call when you get a chance at 905-703-1557. I know he wants to talk to you.

All of us at Solo are very excited about this and we would like to duplicate the J-pipes on another Camaro V6 Standard and then expand our "Exhaust Kit" offerings.

Thanks very much.

Ok Steve I'll try calling Jeff next week...looks good on paper have to see/hear for myself..(Next Friday when George comes down to Montreal):thumbsup:

ckaram 07-10-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrans5 (Post 2078984)
They tried the auto. kit on my M6, and even a few different resonators. The resonators reduced the drone quite a bit but I guess I'm just too picky... sorry Jeff. :facepalm:

They took some video of my car on take-off and driving by. Hopefully it will get posted for you to hear. I assume this is what you want, because there is nothing to hear in the cabin. I'm not exaggerating... before the "7 pipes", the sound at 2k RPM's especially in 5th and 6th gear on a slight up-grade was unbearably horrible. My OnStar voice recognition wouldn't work and listening to the radio was impossible, at any volume! This is what we targeted to tune out and I'm happy to report that 2k RPM in any gear (even under a load) is the quiet spot now! That’s my cruising spot. As Jeff said, "You'll have no problems traveling across Canada, even with grandma in the car now".

All I hear is that soft Solo burble on take-off.

I know what you mean. Before the resonators, it droned more up around 3-4 grand if I remember correctly. You couldn't even have the radio on or talk on the phone. My 2LT is my daily driver, and I have headers, 2.5" exhaust and Magnaflow mufflers on my real fun car, a '68 drop top Camaro. In this car I NEVER listen to the radio and want it that way. But not for the DD.

The resonators were installed and pushed the now slight drone to 1800-2000. Now I just downshift for the hills. I can hear music nicely at a level of "17" which is pretty damn good. Before it had to be waaaaay up. Look forward to the sound of the "J's".

noisemker 07-10-2010 05:11 PM

any videos?

Nutbutt 07-10-2010 05:14 PM

This is going to be a great option ! I love my Solo and hope to get this version on soon !

bmwdon 07-10-2010 05:39 PM

approx. pricing? video/audio?...I didn't see a vid link

GOINGSOLO2 07-10-2010 08:24 PM

We should have some pricing soon...we wanted it perfect before we even mentioned it on the boards:) As soon as we have an update on it, I will let everyone know.

KMPrenger 07-11-2010 01:00 PM

If tone is basically the same as the original systems, then I'm thinking videos are really NOT needed. This is a solution for tuning out Drone, not changing the tone of the exhaust.

To capture the real in person sound of drone on camera is likely tough to do, and we already have nice videos of the two current offered systems, so unless SOLO feels a new vid is needed....I'd say there may be no need for it.

redman 07-11-2010 01:15 PM

Aw c'mon this is a different system.... let's hear it!!!!

GOINGSOLO2 07-11-2010 06:21 PM

The J pipes are made to eliminate drone only....not much air at all even goes into the J pipe...only sound waves. They cancel out certain frequencies of sound. We used a device that measures frequency and found where the trouble area was. All of that information then has to be calculated into a mathematical formula in order to get the correct length of the J pipe for both the frequency and size motor. I hope this is helpful to how a J pipe works...it's the short version, but good enough I think. The exhaust will sound almost exactly like it was before, without the drone. it might take away a slight amount of the gurgle, but not much. I would say that it "smoothes out" the exhaust note and eliminated the drone.

Steve