Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Key recall/Computer failure (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409753)

KyleT 05-23-2015 11:28 PM

Key recall/Computer failure

So I brought my car in for the key recall today and wasn't expecting what happened next. I go to leave the dealership and start the car, then a reduced power and stabilitrak code pops up and all the warning lights come on. Unreal! According to the dealership they have to put a whole new computer in it. I might get it back in a week. LOL Anyway, here's another concern. I just had headers, ported throttle body and catch can installed. Any possible way that could have caused this? I drove it for a good four to five hours the night before with no issues at all.

shibbs 05-24-2015 12:01 AM

If you're tuned, probably.

KyleT 05-24-2015 01:15 AM

No tune.

KaBoom1701 05-24-2015 11:59 AM

I'd remove all that stuff before the dealer realizes you have them install and voids your warranty.

thespymaster 05-25-2015 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 8444964)
I'd remove all that stuff before the dealer realizes you have them install and voids your warranty.

As long as he's not TUNED, he doesn't have to remove anything...

My ZL1 is highly modified and just had the ECM replaced under warranty.

Curious to know what the outcome is Kylet

thespymaster 05-25-2015 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleT (Post 8444349)
So I brought my car in for the key recall today and wasn't expecting what happened next. I go to leave the dealership and start the car, then a reduced power and stabilitrak code pops up and all the warning lights come on. Unreal! According to the dealership they have to put a whole new computer in it. I might get it back in a week. LOL Anyway, here's another concern. I just had headers, ported throttle body and catch can installed. Any possible way that could have caused this? I drove it for a good four to five hours the night before with no issues at all.

How many miles on you ZL1?

How long have the mods been done , and were they done all at the same time?

KyleT 05-25-2015 01:50 AM

I have 3900 miles on it. I did the cold air intake two years ago. I just did the headers, throttle body and catch can on Friday. Brought it in on Saturday for the key recall. They told me the keys were reprogrammed and good to go. I went to leave and that's when all those warnings came up. So they brought it back in the shop and the tech told me they had to replace the ECM. He said it was shot.

thespymaster 05-25-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleT (Post 8445996)
I have 3900 miles on it. I did the cold air intake two years ago. I just did the headers, throttle body and catch can on Friday. Brought it in on Saturday for the key recall. They told me the keys were reprogrammed and good to go. I went to leave and that's when all those warnings came up. So they brought it back in the shop and the tech told me they had to replace the ECM. He said it was shot.

They can still read the CODES that caused the failure.. Call them tomorrow and ask them to provide you all the codes before they remove the current ECM.. insist on it!

I have the ECM replaced 2 times in past 13 months, and they still can't explain why the ECM fails....... I have 17500 miles..

KyleT 05-26-2015 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespymaster (Post 8446525)
They can still read the CODES that caused the failure.. Call them tomorrow and ask them to provide you all the codes before they remove the current ECM.. insist on it!

I have the ECM replaced 2 times in past 13 months, and they still can't explain why the ECM fails....... I have 17500 miles..

I will call them first thing in the morning. Did they tell you what caused your ECM failure? The one tech mentioned "those headers get pretty hot and coulda fried the ECM. The manifolds at least have a heat shield." That was exactly quoted what he said to me. LOL This is the type of guy I'm dealing with. I'm thinking they may try to somehow blame me for it. I do know one of the service writers and a couple managers there I will talk to as well. Thanks for the info and help on this. It has been very frustrating to say the least.

Jeb114 05-26-2015 06:48 AM

ECM failure quite common on ZL1's mine died at 5700 GM replaced it. Tech told me the 2 ZL1's they sold they replaced both ECM's.

Sabin ZL1 05-26-2015 02:19 PM

My ECM was replaced a couple months ago. Car wouldn't start at times and then the next day I would go to start it and it would start right up. This happened a few times. They replaced other modules then finally this one and so far it seems to be working.

thespymaster 05-26-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleT (Post 8447563)
I will call them first thing in the morning. Did they tell you what caused your ECM failure? The one tech mentioned "those headers get pretty hot and coulda fried the ECM. The manifolds at least have a heat shield." That was exactly quoted what he said to me. LOL This is the type of guy I'm dealing with. I'm thinking they may try to somehow blame me for it. I do know one of the service writers and a couple managers there I will talk to as well. Thanks for the info and help on this. It has been very frustrating to say the least.

Don't fall for that excuse of the headers being the culprit.

Plenty of NON-modded 5th Gen's that have had the ECM replaced with no explanation as why the ECM failed..

It's my belief GM is fully aware of this issue with the ECM failures.

thespymaster 05-26-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb114 (Post 8447665)
ECM failure quite common on ZL1's mine died at 5700 GM replaced it. Tech told me the 2 ZL1's they sold they replaced both ECM's.

This is my point exactly.

Too many failures of the ECM and you can't tell me GM isn't aware of it...

KyleT 05-27-2015 05:29 AM

Yeah I'm not falling for the header bs. I seriously think I know more about that car than the tech does. LOL I know there aren't many in my area but you would think he would know something about a ZL1. The way he was talking to me sounded like he never heard of one or seen one before.