Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   V6 Camaro Dyno numbers are in!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24205)

Warpick 05-26-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieNsky (Post 519534)
GM first came up with this engine in the '60s. Sold it to Kaiser who put it in some Jeeps. AMC bought Kaiser and later sold the design back to GM:confused0068:

Well no wonder it's a strong engine! It potentially powered a Henry J! Quick someone put a full tilt TA performance crate engine in one!

SomeGeoffGuy 05-26-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warpick (Post 519540)
Got a link for a stock cobra to see the differences or at least what RPM the abruptness started? Also a GTP I'd be curious at seeing the differences in A:F. If it's jus a measure to keep it from leaning out at the top end and cause detonation.

I will shoot you a screenshot of the table when I get home tonight.

-Geoff

rays 05-26-2009 02:01 PM

The CTS tested higher with the same engine. I wonder why?
Baseline run: vehicle produced 263.0 rwhp and 241.7 lbs/tq.
With a CAI and corsa exhaust(no other tuning) it tested
294.2 rwhp and 261.3 lbs/tq

Post #24 here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...33/index2.html

MadMaxx 05-26-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rays (Post 519931)
The CTS tested higher with the same engine. I wonder why?
Baseline run: vehicle produced 263.0 rwhp and 241.7 lbs/tq.
With a CAI and corsa exhaust(no other tuning) it tested
294.2 rwhp and 261.3 lbs/tq

Post #24 here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...33/index2.html

Manual transmission, no listing of ambient temp... dynapack historically read higher than mustang, etc. etc.

Mustang dyno's are known as the "hearbreakers" for a reason ;) I'd rather know my as-close-to-real-world-as-possible numbers.

rays 05-26-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaxx (Post 520001)
Manual transmission, no listing of ambient temp... dynapack historically read higher than mustang, etc. etc.

Mustang dyno's are known as the "hearbreakers" for a reason ;) I'd rather know my as-close-to-real-world-as-possible numbers.

Kewl, thanks!
This tuner talk is new to me but I'll be watching and learning :popcorn:

Warpick 05-26-2009 02:42 PM

You can't even compare the same dyno manufacturer from shop to shop let alone different dyno's.

Maddmaxx is the only one who took his in so that's all we have to base it off of. Which makes him the man by the way.

Ambient temps, elevation, humidity, and all sorts of variables will always produce different results.

Hemlawk 05-26-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rays (Post 520075)
Kewl, thanks!
This tuner talk is new to me but I'll be watching and learning :popcorn:

I'm in the same boat.

AFR ECU CAI.. Ass sphincter says what? :sm0:

I'm learning

Teleplayer 05-26-2009 04:33 PM

Didn't I read somewhere that the ECM sets a rich mixture for so many miles on a new engine?

Michael 05-26-2009 04:44 PM

Are you sure these can be tuned? No ones been able to tune the new style PCMs on the Pontiacs yet. At least, no one in the Grand Prix sites I frequent.

Warpick 05-26-2009 05:12 PM

Piggy backs are out in Australia not my preferred method, but stand alone engine management systems are available now.

Piggybacks are the start of new ECU's.

MadMaxx 05-26-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 520469)
Are you sure these can be tuned? No ones been able to tune the new style PCMs on the Pontiacs yet. At least, no one in the Grand Prix sites I frequent.

Anything can be tuned, it all comes down to $$$. With such a robust featured stock ECU, it's going to be hard(er) for an aftermarket full blown standalone to come along. Pigguback systems are going to be the norm for a while -- and honestly, probably will work just fine. I've got a feeling the transmission and rest of the driveline will become a problem long before the engine does ;)

UsedTaHaveA68 05-26-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warpick (Post 519173)
This.

With out overextending too much the DI means that you're not taking air and fuel on the intake stroke. It's just air. So carbs are like air/fuel mixing centers port injection is shooting atomized fuel with the air and compressing it all on the compression stroke.

Fuel is a liquid and can't be compressed as much as air. So with direct injection. You have nothing but air being compressed and as the air is compressed you have all that pressure in the chamber and THEN the fuel is injected and ignited.

Compression needs to be payed attention to, but it's not as important on carb or port injection methods. Which is why you can run such a high compression. It's all air being compressed. The only thing you really need to worry about is can the internals handle all the energy happening in the combustion chamber.

This seems to be a very common misconception. Fast foward to 0:25. You will notice that fuel is sprayed into the cylinder on the intake stroke. If it were sprayed at the top of the compression stroke, it wouldn't be very effective in cooling the intake charge. That and it would probably spontaneously ignite, causing the engine to "diesel."

EDIT: Why can't I ever get these damn videos to embed?!! Here's the link:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03...ect-injection/

ssrsheaven 05-26-2009 06:47 PM

Nice keep us up to date.

SomeGeoffGuy 05-26-2009 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the PE vs Time table from my GTP. There is one table for base at 12.4, then another table lowers it as a function of time and RPM. You can see how easy it would be to get into the 10.X range on a 1/4 mile run.

-Geoff