Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Griots Garage Glass Sealant Review (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227666)

CamaroDreams07 05-31-2012 06:07 PM

Griots Garage Glass Sealant Review

So I recently picked up a bottle of the glass sealant from Griots Garage. I'm gonna run through a quick preliminary review after applying today. Before this, I've been using the Adam's Glass Sealant with great success, so that's going to be my reference.

Value 5/5
It comes in an 8 oz bottle for $8, so that is quite cheap as far as glass sealants go. Of course, I'll have to revise this in terms of how long it lasts, how effective it is, etc. Cheap doesn't equal value if you have to apply it weekly.

Packaging 2/5
It comes in a plastic bottle, but instead of the sprayer you would expect, it just has a hole in the top where you pull up to open and then pour it out (think of a dish soap bottle, or a water bottle top). This makes it very hard to regulate the amount of product you get. I was using a foam pad to apply and the best I could do was just try to "splash" a small amount onto the pad. Adam's has a spray nozzle so you know 3 sprays is always 3 sprays. Not so great.

Ease of Application 1/5
The directions say to apply in a crosshatch pattern, wait for it to haze, then apply a second coat, wait for that to haze and buff off with a towel. Pretty standard stuff there. One problem- this stuff doesn't haze. It forms these gross, oily little beads all over the window. I applied the first coat, waited a long time, then went ahead with a very light second coat, waited again, and no hazing. I took my Zaino blonde towel and buffed until my arms were sore until the window looked clear again. On the drive home, I noticed there was still residue. I have to go back out and try to use some window cleaner to finish it I guess. It does wipe off of plastic trim and paint easily, though. So that's something...

You contrast this with Adam's and it's night and day. That stuff, you put it on, it hazes, you clean it off, you move on with your life.

Durability 0/5
The only saving grace this product could have is if it lasts twice as long as Adam's does. In that case, maybe it would be worth it to spend so much effort applying it. We will see. I will update this thread as time wears on.

Update: Absolutely no protection during first use. Therefore durability cannot exist.

Overall 1/5
Not really pleased with this. Surprises me for Griots to put their name on something like this. Of course, your mileage may vary, but for me, it's a definite pass in the future. Autopia says they don't sell anything they wouldn't use on their cars, so I guess somebody likes it.

Russo 05-31-2012 06:13 PM

how does this compare to Aquapel?

Vintage-Iron 05-31-2012 06:15 PM

I bought some Griot's Best of Show Wax about 3 months ago after hearing all the hoopla about it....It sux.

CamaroDreams07 05-31-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russo (Post 5051527)
how does this compare to Aquapel?

Couldn't tell you. Yet to try that one.

CamaroDreams07 05-31-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron (Post 5051538)
I bought some Griot's Best of Show Wax about 3 months ago after hearing all the hoopla about it....It sux.

Griot's usually puts out pretty good stuff. Idk what happened here.

Angelo@Autopia 05-31-2012 06:39 PM

I don't know what happen but the one I have is from over year ago and use it twice on the wife's car and found no problems at all.

CamaroDreams07 05-31-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia (Post 5051636)
I don't know what happen but the one I have is from over year ago and use it twice on the wife's car and found no problems at all.

Who knows. I remember you saying that when I was thinking of buying it. Just didn't work right for me at all.

the rich dude 05-31-2012 10:59 PM

How long does the Adams glass sealer last for you? I just applied some to my wifes car today:thumbsup:

Iomcamaro 06-01-2012 01:13 AM

Griot's BOS wax would have to be the worst wax I have ever used. Their Speed Shine and Soap are nice though.

Adam's Polishes 06-01-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rich dude (Post 5053288)
How long does the Adams glass sealer last for you? I just applied some to my wifes car today:thumbsup:

I'd say the average is somewhere around 200 miles of wet weather driving IF you avoid using your wiper fluid too much. The alcohol content cuts down on the sealant pretty quickly.

Thats based on the feedback I get from customers... I'm just about the worst person in the world for testing on our glass sealant since we get hardly any rain here.

CamaroDreams07 06-01-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the rich dude (Post 5053288)

I agree with Dylan. In my experience it lasts quite a long time. Hard to say how long exactly because what's an acceptable amount of degradation to me, may not be to you. In any case, I don't think you'll have any problems getting 4-6 months

Oh and on the Griots, my windows are still cloudy today even after going after it with window cleaner and waterless wash. I'm going to have to strip it off and start over. Unbelievable, this stuff can not get to the trash can fast enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CamaroDreams07 06-08-2012 12:33 AM

Just did my first rain driving after application - an 18 hr day in the car with at least 150 miles of rain. Absolutely no discernible protection whatsoever. This stuff is snake oil. Well actually, I bet snake oil is somewhat hydrophobic, unlike this.

And now I'm going to pass out for the foreseeable future :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2