Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Clutch noise when engaged/disengaged (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152980)

Slow2011SS 06-15-2011 10:51 AM

Clutch noise when engaged/disengaged

1 Attachment(s)
Alright,

So like many of you out there who have this issue I got my dealership to open a TAC with Chevy.

Check out the image.

This is just informational for the rest of you out there. I still don't like the noise or the answer provided but if it breaks at least a case is out there.

Russell James 06-15-2011 11:15 AM

Is this noise while the car is sitting still? Or moving? Turning slow?

Most of them are quite clunky if clutching while rolling slow, especially if turning slow. Driveline clearances and torque suddenly released can make everything clunk. Especially with an LS diff, the clutches will be dragging a bit on slow turns and you can get a clunk/pop when everything releases. Changing the diff lube and 10 slow figure 8s can help with that.

Ronn 06-15-2011 11:18 AM

Mine does the same thing

Slow2011SS 06-15-2011 11:30 AM

It happens when you are in motion. Slow speeds first and second gear. Sounds like the exhaust is rattling however it is not. I did some research and there are a few posts about it however they got the run around. This is simply information for those who have doubts that its normal. When it breaks we can all utilize the case number listed to have it updated with Chevy.

Russell James 06-15-2011 11:47 AM

I thought it was strange too on the first M6 performance car I bought. Having owned many since in the past couple decades - they all do it. It's exactly what the dealer told you, driveline clearances clunking when torque is released from the driveline. Those clearances have to be there for the trans and diff to work right.

You can sometimes hear similar clunking by shutting the engine off while the clutch is out with the trans in nuetral. Also - normal.

nancygrl 06-15-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 3342338)
I thought it was strange too on the first M6 performance car I bought. Having owned many since in the past couple decades - they all do it. It's exactly what the dealer told you, driveline clearances clunking when torque is released from the driveline. Those clearances have to be there for the trans and diff to work right.

You can sometimes hear similar clunking by shutting the engine off while the clutch is out with the trans in nuetral. Also - normal.

+1....Yes, it's annoying, but every 6spd I've ever had before has been this way from day one also.

PAUL SS 06-15-2011 12:20 PM

Collective driveline slack? Mine does this too from day one with 6 miles on it. IRS and 2 piece driveshaft could all be contributing.

DarkObsession 06-15-2011 12:37 PM

Mine does this too and does it even when stopped. You can also very faintly feel the vibration in the shifter when it happens.

I am going to visit my parents very soon and my dad is the service manager of a Chevy dealer (and previous to that, master, ASE certified mechanic). He is going to check it out for me and obviously, he's going to be wanting to err on the side of fixing it for me :)

I will let you all know what he finds when he checks it out.

DarkObsession 06-27-2011 07:24 PM

Update from my visit here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155282

stlrammer 01-07-2012 02:56 PM

Mine has done it too since day one. Always in low speed with torque on tranny (going up steep hill slow and pressing in clutch reproduces it almost 100% of the time.

scythezo6 01-07-2012 03:08 PM

I've had this since day one. Its super annoying you just have to adapt and learn to shift to avoid it. I slip sometimes and have that paddle sound at low speeds in 1st and 2nd but if you let off the clutch slower it avoids it. Even when stopped. Roll the windows down and put the car in neutral and press/depress the clutch pedal quickly and you hear it.Super annoying though.

jtvst4 01-07-2012 07:31 PM

mine does it too....when coasting down a hill very slowly in 1st and then pressing in the cluth. Seems as if it only doesit when there is "drag" on the tranny, such as going slowly up a hill, or coating down a hill slowly.

Mud 01-07-2012 07:32 PM

One of those quirks of this particular transmission.

Years from now, it will be affectionally mentioned on Mecum auto auctions.

bajamoon 01-07-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 3342338)

Same here. Researched when I first got it and found it to be normal.