Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Crazy idea (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299209)

Rhaas2001 06-01-2013 07:56 PM

Crazy idea

First off this may be in the wrong place on the form, if so let me know or just move it. correct me if I am wrong at any time but, has any one noticed every one has a fith gen. That's a great thing, but does anyone know if any one has a 1970-72 true z28 with a ls7 6 speed drive train? Has any one on this form ever tried to ingrate the fith gen systems into a older generation, like traction control for example. I ask because if the new z may be priced at $65k plus it gives someone (maybe me) a high enough budget to try given what I have all ready priced in parts this far. altho builds always run over budget i realize. Any and all thoughts are welcomed, even if there not constructive lol

mkorgan 06-01-2013 09:02 PM

I have a buddy of mine who has a LS7, TREMEC 6 speed, and Detroit Locker rear in a 73' with all after market suspension and custom interior, etc..etc. It is a wonderful car which I have driven several times. If I remember correctly, he has well over $65K in the car but that includes a lot of extra's that you would not necessary want/need on a track only car. It does not have ceramic brakes/rotors which I believe are in the $10K range so you would have to add that on to get close to the overall Z/28 package to start. I think that recreating the Z/28's performance from a first or second gen Camaro would be pretty tough. The Red Devil has over $200K invested in it and while it is faster the than the ZL1 around the track it may not beat the new Z/28 based on the numbers we are seeing.

I think if you are talking about what it would cost to create an equivalent early gen Camaro to what is promised in the new Z/28...I don't think you could touch building one yourself for the cost of the new Z coming. But...I could be wrong.

LOWDOWN 06-01-2013 09:39 PM

Go to DSE's website and you'll quickly spend $20K for a front-end/rear-end/wheels/tires for a Gen-1 or -2 F-body. Add $20K for a crate LS7/Tremec/misc. Now build a really nice body/interior...and pay for all the things not listed...

Makes the $60s...with a warranty...seem like not so bad a deal...

There are Pro Tour cars out there that easily have cost $100K+.

Bhobbs 06-01-2013 09:54 PM

There's a company that sells bolt in IRS rear ends for first gen Camaros. I can't remember the name right now.

LOWDOWN 06-01-2013 10:09 PM

Heidt's

Bhobbs 06-01-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6617531)
Heidt's

Yep, that's it.

I've thought about putting a C6 rear end under my 98.

LOWDOWN 06-02-2013 11:57 AM

Better to use a Gen-5 SS/ZL1 or CTS-V diff...mock it up...and re-sell it...

C-5/6 Corvette diffs include the rear-mount tranny/torque-tube...which would be a major refit in an F-Body...

Rhaas2001 06-02-2013 04:06 PM

thanks mkorgan and you guys for the info, it is nice to know that someone has done it. i can't or won't put 200k in a car build lol. but i do love the look and always wanted a early second gen. you also have a good point lowdown given the warranty it may come with. i on the list to order the new Z, i guess once options list and order form hit the dealer ill make my choice. thanks for all the info, you guys are great

Bhobbs 06-04-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6618980)
Better to use a Gen-5 SS/ZL1 or CTS-V diff...mock it up...and re-sell it...

C-5/6 Corvette diffs include the rear-mount tranny/torque-tube...which would be a major refit in an F-Body...

I read about someone using a C5 rear end. There was/is a company that made an adaptor plate so you could use a standard T56 and driveshaft.

How much is an SS rear end going for?

Col. Brain 06-04-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhaas2001 (Post 6617030)
First off this may be in the wrong place on the form, if so let me know or just move it. correct me if I am wrong at any time but, has any one noticed every one has a fith gen. That's a great thing, but does anyone know if any one has a 1970-72 true z28 with a ls7 6 speed drive train? Has any one on this form ever tried to ingrate the fith gen systems into a older generation, like traction control for example. I ask because if the new z may be priced at $65k plus it gives someone (maybe me) a high enough budget to try given what I have all ready priced in parts this far. altho builds always run over budget i realize. Any and all thoughts are welcomed, even if there not constructive lol

You are better off heading over to pro-touring.com or lateral-g.net.

DSE is the top end of the equation. Roadster Shop makes a full frame alternative as well that is pretty neat but 15k or so for the whole thing.

Speed Tech has their "track attack" packages that have run pretty good numbers and that kit is about 12k just add gear, trans, and engine.

If you are playing with an older car you also do not need to use an LS engine. They are nice but 13k builds you a pretty beastly big or small block with efi or carb. LS7 505hp or a 650hp 427 sbc.

Will the car be faster than a Z/28? Maybe but probably not (unless you went full race car with it). However, you stand a better chance of your car retaining its value especially if GM sells a few thousand Z/28s.

Personally I think the Z/28 will be well north of 70k.