Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GPI Build Journey (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595194)

Armyavi8r 07-21-2021 12:16 AM

GPI Build Journey

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I wanted to provide a rundown of my experience with GPI and subsequent updates as the car goes in to their shop (at their new location) next month. I've been working with James who has been outstanding in answering all my questions (which have been many) and getting me lined out on a solid build plan. I'm fortunate to live near GPI, and as a military member, I get a great discount on parts and labor.

I have a 2010 2SS/RS A6 so an L99 motor. I bought it in March with 52k miles, single owner, bone stock. I bought it after my 2011 RS that I had for 3 years was totalled by a red light runner in North Little Rock. While I loved that car, often I wished I had opted for the V8.

I originally called GPI in May to inquire about installing long tube headers and a tune but they were booked out over a month, so I went with Arkansas Perfomance Exhaust who did a great job with the install and tune. I also added a Vararam CAI and a Soler 95mm ported throttle body.

After reading many of the discussion threads here and FB posts, I figured out why GPI was booked out over a month- they are in high demand and nationally renowned for their cams and porting services. So I stopped in to talk mods for the car.

As many of you can well understand, my initial plan has changed as I have researched, talked to fellow Camaro owners and of course, conferred with James at GPI. The goal remains the same- a daily driver with respectable power and performance, but staying NA.

In my initial discussion, I was intent on a cam upgrade and a few additional little things. I had a budget in mind and wanted to stay within that. Of course, then there's the inevitable snowball....

So now, the car will go in to GPI mid-August. Below is the list of planned mods:

-GPI Stage 3 VVT cam with AFM delete
-Johnson lifters
-CHE trunnions
-GPI ported cylinder heads
-GPI ported Rod Mod
-Circle D 4C 3600-3800 stall
-AAM 3.91 gear
-Derale Xmsn cooler
-Mishimoto baffled catch can
-Powerbond underdrive pulley

I arrived at this list incrementally as I read, learned and discussed with members on here, etc.

Of course a GPI tune and dyno will follow. James will be providing updates to me as the work progresses and I will post them here.

This is my first major modification to a car. I know there are a lot of people out there in the same boat so I thought I'd share my experience. Many of you will frown on me for not doing the work myself. Well, I'm not a great mechanic for starters, I gave up my garage to be a gymnastics area for my kids and of course, this list of work is pretty involved. My enjoyment comes more from driving a well maintained machine (much like the Army aircraft I fly).

I'm interested to know what you think about the mods. I'm already over budget so not adding to this list, but in the future, I'll do chassy upgrades, etc.

I'll keep you posted as the work gets underway.

morepowerjoe 07-21-2021 03:12 AM

I think that you got a great mod list. You have picked the best of the best. It should be a blast to drive. Have you considered a ported throttle body? And what oil pump are you going to use?

hrpiii 07-21-2021 05:37 AM

it's going to be a great build with a very drivable car around town.

TheFlyingBananaSS 07-21-2021 05:45 AM

GPI makes crazy cams. You're going to love the sound.

Ashen 6.2 07-21-2021 05:58 AM

Great list of mods and it will be worth the wait! Great people at GPI!

LCPLPunk 07-21-2021 06:21 AM

Helll ya man! :)

Rmkuper 07-21-2021 07:07 AM

I mean not much more you can do without boost or really cutting her open. Nice build! Courious to see what she makes on the dyno. GPI is fantastic to work with. I did the wrench work myself but ran into a number of issues(most on this thread probably know[emoji1787]) but their support was awesome.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Inferno dogg 07-21-2021 08:01 AM

great list as all say but I would go with a Trucool 40 instead of the derail. I have the Derail and my car gets a bit to hot. Switching over to Trucool this weekend.

Armyavi8r 07-21-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 11043138)
I think that you got a great mod list. You have picked the best of the best. It should be a blast to drive. Have you considered a ported throttle body? And what oil pump are you going to use?

I couldn't find a VMAX, but the Soler Performance PTB is supposedly equal in quality so I went with that and installed it prior to the exhaust work (LTH, High Flow cats and X-pipe). Definitely noticed a difference in throttle response.

Armyavi8r 07-21-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno dogg (Post 11043220)
great list as all say but I would go with a Trucool 40 instead of the derail. I have the Derail and my car gets a bit to hot. Switching over to Trucool this weekend.

Gotcha, thanks for the info on xmsn cooler. I'll ask about it.

morepowerjoe 07-21-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armyavi8r (Post 11043381)
I couldn't find a VMAX, but the Soler Performance PTB is supposedly equal in quality so I went with that and installed it prior to the exhaust work (LTH, High Flow cats and X-pipe). Definitely noticed a difference in throttle response.

You should be good to go then. Just make sure and post your progress as we are all waiting to see your dyno numbers 😉

Armyavi8r 07-21-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 11043385)
You should be good to go then. Just make sure and post your progress as we are all waiting to see your dyno numbers 😉

Totally will do that! I did discuss the oil pump and the thinking was the stock pump is pretty reliable and adequate for a NA build like this. Are you tracking something different? Interested to learn.

morepowerjoe 07-21-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armyavi8r (Post 11043389)
Totally will do that! I did discuss the oil pump and the thinking was the stock pump is pretty reliable and adequate for a NA build like this. Are you tracking something different? Interested to learn.

I had low idle pressure with 3 oil pumps. The stock one, the Melling 365, and the Melling 10295. I had like 15 psi at idle. I then changed it to a Melling 10355HV and my pressure went up to around 30 psi at idle. I also used the high pressure spring it comes with and I also plugged the oil bypass relief valve in the pan. The bypass relief valve just bypasses the oil filter when you have over 50 psi and I didn't like that. Now at cruising I have 50-60 psi and at wot I think I've seen 70 psi. I think that's a lot better not recycling the oil without the oil filter and I like the idea of having more pressure at wot. I can't say enough about the Melling 10355HV pump it's really good. I would recommend getting one if you can.

BAD DAB 07-21-2021 02:01 PM

Great information. This is going to be a great build. Can't wait to hear about the progress.