Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   2010 camaro SS M6 Shifter Flew under car! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376726)

jonathanmoguel 09-09-2014 05:18 PM

2010 camaro SS M6 Shifter Flew under car!

so i had my 2010 camaro for about 3 1/2 years now has about 47k miles and is a extreme blast to drive..

so yesterday i was driving home from work and when i was about 2 miles into the freeway,

i heard a weird clunking sound on the shifter and i downshifted into 5th and the car seem like it started to slip.

then the rattling on the shifter got worse and the noise was being transfered into the wheels.

so i then put it in neutral and when i decided to pull over like around 55 mph the shifter rattled extremely hard and out of no where it flew under the car and the knob flew up and hit and cut my thumb up.. so i pulled over with no shifter and i was like wtf just happened.. got it towed and called the dealer near my house and see what happened.. i think the shifter assembly failed because i picked up the pieces off the freeway. i swear it sounded like an IED exploded under my car!

so sad..

TX_ED_SS 09-09-2014 07:00 PM

Wow! I have never heard of this happening before. Please keep us updated on what the dealer says was the cause of this failure. Was is a stock shifter?

slickz28 09-09-2014 07:05 PM

Something similar happenned to me last year. it ended up being a bolt off the driveshaft letting go and hitting the underside of the body, left a nice dent. if it hit your shifter, it could have destroyed it.

John Deere Boy 09-14-2014 08:38 AM

Ouch. Please let us know what caused it when you find out.

caper 09-15-2014 12:44 AM

that's one of the crazier stories ive read!

reason 09-15-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickz28 (Post 7942310)
Something similar happenned to me last year. it ended up being a bolt off the driveshaft letting go and hitting the underside of the body, left a nice dent. if it hit your shifter, it could have destroyed it.

Exact same problem happened to mine a few months back. Also a 2010...

jonathanmoguel 09-16-2014 02:48 PM

i know, i have told several people about it. unbelievable! today i am going to look under the car and see what exactly happened.

on Thursday i am taking to the dealer and see what they can do. im pretty sure warranty can cover it right??

turbofreek 09-23-2014 08:41 PM

Sounds like time to install an mgw shifter and new one piece driveshaft??

Avalnch 09-23-2014 09:01 PM

Get them to install the ZL1 short throw unit.

jonathanmoguel 09-27-2014 02:49 AM

so i looked under the car, it seems that the bolts have snapped from where the drive shaft hooks up to the transmission. i guess when i was pulling off the highway, the shaft must have hit the shifter and assembly and destroyed it. ... :(..

would it matter if i have nitrous installed? i should de mod it before i take it in huh..

Scott@Bjorn3D 09-27-2014 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel (Post 7976099)
so i looked under the car, it seems that the bolts have snapped from where the drive shaft hooks up to the transmission. i guess when i was pulling off the highway, the shaft must have hit the shifter and assembly and destroyed it. ... :(..

would it matter if i have nitrous installed? i should de mod it before i take it in huh..

Nitrous won't matter at this point. GM will make them look at the ECM and they will see the tune so no warranty.

rberns 09-27-2014 03:31 AM

wow, this is bizare. Do you have any pics? Really interested to see what this looks like.

TommyTheCat 09-28-2014 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 7976103)
Nitrous won't matter at this point. GM will make them look at the ECM and they will see the tune so no warranty.

Out of the three year 36,000 miles anyways

Waiting for pics!

jonathanmoguel 10-01-2014 09:24 PM

im not worried about the warranty. got an extended warranty from the dealer. apparently my warranty expired on 9/11/2014... i got the an extended warranty for $2100.. 3 yrs 36000 miles.

so i will file a claim and see if i get this fix by the end of this month.

im sure you guys are interested in looking at some pics.. i will post them soon..

what an ordeal!

out of pocket finding all the parts they might have been around 4-6k. to fix.at least.

so paying 2000 for a warranty. seems like its worth it.