Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chevy Shows Off Next Gen MyLink Infotainment System (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262905)

Tran 11-27-2012 10:24 AM

Chevy Shows Off Next Gen MyLink Infotainment System

9 Attachment(s)
Coinciding with the launch of the 2014 Chevrolet Impala next spring, Chevy will introduce its next-generation MyLink infotainment system [demo video below], which the automaker says has been made easier to use, more customizable and now able to link up to 10 different mobile devices.

MyLink is Chevy’s vehicle interface that allows you to control mobile devices and online services, such as Pandora Internet Radio or Stitcher Radio, through voice commands or touch-screen display. MyLink also integrates OnStar services, including the full suite of safety features as well as premium Directions and Connections services.

The latest version of MyLink incorporates new natural language voice recognition that allows you to control everything with normal speech instead of using memorized phrases. Furthermore, should you want to input instructions with your hands, the touch-screen display has been made easier to read and new buttons have been installed on the center stack and steering wheel.

Also new is the ability to store up to 60 radio stations, contacts, destinations, music and other media. On top of this, the driver’s instrument cluster as well as the touch-screen display can be customized to one of four distinct personalities, depending on who’s behind the wheel: Contemporary, Edge, Velocity and Main Street.

The latest version of MyLink debuts on the 2014 Chevrolet Impala. It will eventually spread to other 2014 Chevy products. No confirmation when/if it will show up in the Camaro.

Note, from early next year, entry-level Chevy models will integrate Apple’s Siri voice activation technology. Through the cars’ standard MyLink system, users with a compatible iPhone running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks including making and receiving calls and text messages. The first models to feature this will be the Spark and Sonic.

Russell James 11-27-2012 10:40 AM

I'm sure young people that grew up on video games and iphones will love it. But ..... the average Impala or Caddy buyer is how old? I can just see my 75 yr old mother absoluting hating all that and wanting her old car back.

"everyone has a Droid or an iphone"...... really? Survey your parents and grandparents on that one. I doubt - everyone - will be your findings. And many of them are new car buyers. And voice recognition? I will not talk to my car, ever.

FenwickHockey65 11-27-2012 10:43 AM

Your 75 year old mother isn't who GM is trying to target anymore. Just sayin'.

BowlingSS 11-27-2012 10:44 AM

I like it and I am a grandparent.

Bill

colingordon 11-27-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 5851125)
I'm sure young people that grew up on video games and iphones will love it. But ..... the average Impala or Caddy buyer is how old? I can just see my 75 yr old mother absoluting hating all that and wanting her old car back.

"everyone has a Droid or an iphone"...... really? Survey your parents and grandparents on that one. I doubt - everyone - will be your findings. And many of them are new car buyers. And voice recognition? I will not talk to my car, ever.

The mainstream majority has a droid or iPhone.... That majority overides the minority enough to make it a standard

eggydoo 11-27-2012 10:55 AM

same complaints occurred when BMW changed to the "knob" compared to the 20 million buttons, but old people will eventually adapt

in other words, that interior looks sick on the impala
Nice job GM!

Russell James 11-27-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5851135)
Your 75 year old mother isn't who GM is trying to target anymore. Just sayin'.

She just bought a new '12 GM vehicle last month. One of the reasons she picked the '12 over a '13 was the overly complicated radio in the '13.

They obviously aren't targeting her... but she is a new car buyer.

It took me forever to convince and remind her that the snowflake button was the air conditioner. Could you imagine me trying to explain all the different screens and voice recognition? Never going to happen.

I like most of it, just saying there is probably a portion of the market that isn't interested in their car operating like an iphone.

FenwickHockey65 11-27-2012 10:57 AM

And they'll have to adapt. The entire industry is moving in this direction. Either GM moves with it or gets left behind, simple as that.

EvoWake 11-27-2012 11:01 AM

I'm only 25... have an iPhone, and love technology, but watching this video has ME thinking this is too much. But I'm sure just like with anything else, it's something you can quickly become accustomed to. I'm happy with the radio in my 2010 SS!

Russell James 11-27-2012 11:16 AM

This is probably my mother's expectation of an Impala dash. She had a few of these cars in her day.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...Impaladash.jpg

daveagogo1 11-27-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colingordon (Post 5851145)
The mainstream majority has a droid or iPhone.... That majority overides the minority enough to make it a standard

Should support both

daveagogo1 11-27-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 5851175)
She just bought a new '12 GM vehicle last month. One of the reasons she picked the '12 over a '13 was the overly complicated radio in the '13.

They obviously aren't targeting her... but she is a new car buyer.

It took me forever to convince and remind her that the snowflake button was the air conditioner. Could you imagine me trying to explain all the different screens and voice recognition? Never going to happen.

I like most of it, just saying there is probably a portion of the market that isn't interested in their car operating like an iphone.

Just make sure it is in fact the AC lol. The snowflake in my old 04' CTS was for traction control :D

vroomapunk 11-27-2012 11:25 AM

the steering wheel is huge and ugly!!

SixCyl 11-27-2012 11:26 AM

I'm 21 and love tech, I built my own desktop and flashed my droid. But I'd rather not have a touch screen panel on my car. Most of us have smart phones, I'm happy with a usb interface to let me control my phone from there, or bluetooth or whatever, I don't really need two smart devices.