Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   New 2ss water spots (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297657)

Glen e 05-25-2013 06:35 AM

New 2ss water spots

So I pulled out the closet last night I have:
Meg UC
Meg UP
Meg 205
Menzerna Fg400
Menzerna Sp4500
BF GEP
XMIT 360
Ultima prep

What to use for water spots....hmmmmmmm

family man 05-25-2013 06:46 AM

Will a clay bar take care of these? It's probably a good start to get rid of any grit/dirt that may have built up on the car. Did it sit on a dealers lot for a while?

Glen e 05-25-2013 06:50 AM

Yeah plan to use a speedy prep towel first ....days on lot was about 100....

Rockey33 05-25-2013 07:01 AM

I used Meguiars UC on my new Jeep that had water spots. It took them right out.

habunow1 05-25-2013 07:02 AM

If your car is black plan on having water spots all the time. After washing it use detailer spray and a good microfiber towel.

Glen e 05-25-2013 07:28 AM

red car...no problems...if you have black look into a wipe walk away polymer sealant - really changes the way you maintain dark cars...soooo much easier...

axis 05-25-2013 07:38 AM

You might as well clay, polish, glaze, seal, and wax the whole thing. Wish I would have done that to my car first thing. Wouldn't think you'd need anything grittier than UC or even UP.

Glen e 05-25-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6587013)
You might as well clay, polish, glaze, seal, and wax the whole thing. Wish I would have done that to my car first thing. Wouldn't think you'd need anything grittier than UC or even UP.

Oh I certainly plan to - my master plan that works for me is:

1. clay/speedy to clean paint
2. one of the above to elim any imperfections
3. Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish- griots DA/CCS white pad
4. (Probably) Blackfire Wet diamond - DA with blue pad
5. Two coats Blackfire Crystal seal ( the real magic)

WiSSDiver 05-25-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 6587021)
Oh I certainly plan to - my master plan that works for me is:

1. clay/speedy to clean paint
2. one of the above to elim any imperfections
3. Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish- griots DA/CCS white pad
4. (Probably) Blackfire Wet diamond - DA with blue pad
5. Two coats Blackfire Crystal seal ( the real magic)

Probably goes without saying,but your first step really should be a 2 bucket wash. I personally leave the car wet and go straight to Claying before drying. Your local water condition will dictate whether or not you can do this as well.

While clay / prep towel will remove imbedded contaminates, if you clay without washing first, you'll damage your surface and your polishing step will take a lot longer to fix.

Also, Black car, red car, what ever color car, the color doesn't matter. They all have a clear coat on top of them which is what you're actually fixing and it doesn't care what color the base coat below it is. Your fix is on the clear coat surface should be the same regardless of base coat color.

Glen e 05-25-2013 08:15 AM

Thanks... Been detailing for years...certainly a wash either with my foam gun or rinselesd is how we start ... Actually just wondering how the paint is for initial correction...

I hear "its hard but is delicate".. So goes the water based urethanes!

while I agree the "clear is clear", I respectfully disagree, blacks show need of correction far quicker that other colors like silver or white...color does matter...

At this point I think I'll try UC with a soft pad...it's very pad dependant...

WiSSDiver 05-25-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 6587103)
Thanks... Been detailing for years...certainly a wash either with my foam gun or rinselesd is how we start ... Actually just wondering how the paint is for initial correction...

I hear "its hard but is delicate".. So goes the water based urethanes!

while I agree the "clear is clear", I respectfully disagree, blacks show need of correction far quicker that other colors like silver or white...color does matter...

To a point, I agree that the black makes the scratches and swirls easier to see without additional light, but your still fixing the clear coat in the same manner regardless of the color. I think we agree though. :thumbup:

Glen e 05-25-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiSSDiver (Post 6587142)
To a point, I agree that the black makes the scratches and swirls easier to see without additional light, but your still fixing the clear coat in the same manner regardless of the color. I think we agree though. :thumbup:

yes we do..you do it no diff...it just SHOWS faster, I guess is what I'm saying, that being said, putting a hard polymer shell or opti coat slows it down a bit!

WiSSDiver 05-25-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 6587152)
yes we do..you do it no diff...it just SHOWS faster, I guess is what I'm saying, that being said, putting a hard polymer shell or opti coat slows it down a bit!

Oh heck yeah. :happy0180:

WiSSDiver 05-25-2013 08:34 AM

BTW Glen, welcome to the forum!