Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Keep or Delete Resonators? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311594)

snymat68 08-06-2013 11:21 PM

Keep or Delete Resonators?

So I've had the MRT v2's on my 2013 LFX for several thousand miles now, and I'm getting tired of the drone while cruising on the highway. The mufflers are just clamped for now (wanted to make sure I liked them before welding). I'm going to be getting them welded soon but I'm going to buy the Magnaflow resonated X pipe first and have that welded in at the same time to help get rid of the drone. It's my understanding that the x-pipe replaces the h-pipe (makes sense), but my question is about the stock resonators. I've read conflicting things on here. Should I delete the stock resonators or leave them intact? :noidea: With the MRT v2 and resonated x-pipe combo, what should I do? I'm after loud, deep sound without the drone/rasp. What are the advantages/disadvantages of deleting the stock resonators? Thanks in advance!

IneedAZ 08-07-2013 06:43 AM

only resonators i would keep are the two near the Cats...the others i would get rid of. I have the non resonated X and no res after and it sounds fine..no issues.

JR 1 08-07-2013 02:20 PM

The resonator is what cancels out the unpleasantant frequencies like the ones that cause the raspy sound. If you are more interested in a quality sound and not just making your car loud, I would leave the resonator on.

snymat68 08-07-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR 1 (Post 6869419)
The resonator is what cancels out the unpleasantant frequencies like the ones that cause the raspy sound. If you are more interested in a quality sound and not just making your car loud, I would leave the resonator on.

But won't the resonated x-pipe solve this issue?

JR 1 08-07-2013 02:48 PM

It could. My concern would be the stock resonator is tuned for this specific engine to cancel out the undesireable frequencies, but the Magnaflow resonator is a generic part designed to put on any car. You may get lucky or you may not.

IneedAZ 08-07-2013 03:01 PM

When I removed my rear resonators I noticed little to no difference is sound good or bad. As stated before, I still have resonators after the converters, but they are high flow. I have Solo High flow cats that come with high flow resonators.

snymat68 08-07-2013 03:35 PM

So with this setup from front to back:

CAI intake,
Vmax ported throttle body,
stock LFX engine with integral headers,
stock cats,
stock upstream resonators,
Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (in place of stock h-pipe),
MRT v2's,

would it sound better with or without the downstream resonators?

IneedAZ 08-07-2013 06:42 PM

Think it will be personal preference, but as I stated I didnt notice much difference in sound. The reason I can say that as it was my last exhaust mod. The converters and x pipe were done months earlier and mufflers last year. So, I debated for along time if I should remove them and run 2.5" exhaust from x pipe to mufflers without any resonators especially since my x is not resonated, but I will say no regret. In fact the car feels to pull better.

seanurban 08-08-2013 07:30 AM

Put a j pipe on and that should help with the drone.

VcrusaderV 08-08-2013 08:55 AM

Usually the first thing I do is delete the resonators and muffler and just run strait pipes. IMO it's sounds great! Some folks don't like a loud exhaust but I do. What additional drone exists is drowned by the deep and loud beautiful sound of the engine. I've done this with two of my previous SS's but not on my ZL, I'm not sure what is safe to do on this car and I don't want to mess anything up.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 08-08-2013 11:29 PM

VcrusaderV, this info isn't really applicable to the V-6 subset. It doesn't work for us.

John B.