Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   How much for labor and alignment on replacement set of springs? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349393)

Btrbimmer 03-25-2014 09:18 PM

How much for labor and alignment on replacement set of springs?

I was getting prices locally to have the 4 springs replaced on my 2014 1LE, and set the alignment.

A local shop wanted $800 for a set of Eibach springs, labor and alignment.

It seemed really high priced, considering I can buy the springs on-line for about $240 for the just the part.

The sad part is that I would really like to help support local businesses, but I feel like its not a fair price. Then they guy tried to scare me into paying more for the same part because I may have a problem if I buy it on-line.

Anyone know the "book time" on this job?

How much would be considered fair?

JimE 03-25-2014 09:46 PM

Call another shop or even your dealer.

Most shops post the alignment prices. You know the parts cost, and they may or may not be able to get the same price you can get online. Also, many shops won't install parts that you don't buy from them.

axis 03-25-2014 10:04 PM

That's not a horrible price. Book time is going to be around 4-5hrs. Considering that many shops today charge $80+/hr, you're looking at $320-400+ for labor alone. Add in the price of springs at ~$250, then a good alignment and you're right around $800.

OK2DRUL 03-25-2014 11:02 PM

I did the install myself with a couple buddies this past weekend on a set of Pfadt lowering springs, toe rods, and trailing arms. It took us about 5 hours casually working and talking/drinking beer to do all of that with a long break for lunch. Find some local members who have done the install before and ask for their help. A case of beer, a pizza, and a $100 alignment is way more cost efficient.

Dropspeed 03-26-2014 07:25 AM

Springs $250-$280
Install $360ish-$450
Alignment $75-$125

$800ish sound about right.....

Find a competent friend that has installed springs before and do it yourself.

-Matt

Zombie killer 03-26-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OK2DRUL (Post 7526127)
I did the install myself with a couple buddies this past weekend on a set of Pfadt lowering springs, toe rods, and trailing arms. It took us about 5 hours casually working and talking/drinking beer to do all of that with a long break for lunch. Find some local members who have done the install before and ask for their help. A case of beer, a pizza, and a $100 alignment is way more cost efficient.

Amen to beer and pizza ! Me and a buddy did mine in about 4 hours and neither of us had ever done a spring lowering kit before. Its not actually that hard at all, just requires turning wrenches faster than you drink beer. LOL !

Apex Motorsports 03-26-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Btrbimmer (Post 7525774)
I was getting prices locally to have the 4 springs replaced on my 2014 1LE, and set the alignment.

A local shop wanted $800 for a set of Eibach springs, labor and alignment.

It seemed really high priced, considering I can buy the springs on-line for about $240 for the just the part.

The sad part is that I would really like to help support local businesses, but I feel like its not a fair price. Then they guy tried to scare me into paying more for the same part because I may have a problem if I buy it on-line.

Anyone know the "book time" on this job?

How much would be considered fair?

:doh: Because paying him more for the exact same part with somehow magically avoid this unspecified potential problem? Gotta love these guys. He has to charge more for the springs because he has to go through a distributor and doesn't have the volume to get good wholesale pricing. Get quotes from a few other places and see if you have any buddies up for the job.

terry_b 03-26-2014 09:03 AM

I totally recommend getting a buddy or two to help or even just doing it yourself. The spring install is not that hard at all, a couple large sockets were all I had to buy specially for the job. There are a couple decent DIY threads on here for it, and then just get the alignment done. I quoted about the same - the $500 was really not worth it to me.

Team STILLEN 03-26-2014 10:05 AM

Here's our break down...

Springs - $245
Install - $300
Alignment - $125

Because we are in CA, there is a CA tax - $19.60

So your total is $689.60.

JT

Pro Stock John 03-26-2014 11:26 AM

I was quote $250 for labor front and rear. Alignment $70.

JDP Sales 03-26-2014 11:46 AM

We charge about $285 for install (3 hours @ $95) and $100 for the alignment. Given the cost of springs, I'd say you would be paying a bit too much. I'd shop around or find some local enthusiasts to help out. Springs are not a tough job.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Zombie killer 03-26-2014 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDP Tyler (Post 7527275)
We charge about $285 for install (3 hours @ $95) and $100 for the alignment. Given the cost of springs, I'd say you would be paying a bit too much. I'd shop around or find some local enthusiasts to help out. Springs are not a tough job.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Tyler-
The spring installation was the easy part to me. The PITA part was slotting the back half of the front subframe tabs to allow for a more aggressive alighnment setup. I want to say it took me almost 2 hours to drill, slot grind, and repaint both those subframe mounts. I suppose it could have been done a little quicker by someone really careful with a plasma cutter but I went with the slower "drill-grind-check fit" method. Not sure if most lowering spring installs even include this work or not, but if it did, it would be a well (well) spent $300 IMO.

Btrbimmer 03-27-2014 07:53 PM

I think I'll do the labor myself. I spent about 10 years in the automotive business, and have build race cars, boats, motorcycles, etc...
This is basically a "B-C" level job, and I have a local alignment shop (with brand new Hunter rig) to do the alignment for $70. I'm sticking with "street" alignment specs with 1" drop, so I don't expect any problems.
Total cost will be less than $300.
I would have paid the other guy $600-$650, and kept my hands clean, but now he will never get my business for anything. Its sort of strange that the place looks so dead every time I drive by, but now I know why.
Also, I find it difficult to trust anyone doing work for me. So many mechanics and tradesmen are just plain idiots. At least I know its done right if I do it myself.

Cheesehead1 03-29-2014 11:41 PM

Just installed myself in 2 hrs. I have power tools though. 60.00 dollars to time bushings and alignment.