Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   3rd Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Thinking about buying this POS:lol: (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603384)

Aqua Blue RS/SS 03-17-2022 12:17 AM

Thinking about buying this POS:lol:

3 Attachment(s)
Haven’t got a price yet but a friend has this in his pawn shop lot. It’s been dead pawn for a LONG time. Mice moved in under the hood but the inside really didn’t look too bad at a glance. I’m sure it’s going to need pretty much everything.

‘87 TPI 305, T tops, no rust (not counting the surface rust on the body) that I can see (obviously hard to tell with four flat tires being slowly buried under sand) 4th factory 16” wheel is in the back seat. It’s complete and appeared all original under the hood. Will need some TLC. Thinking I may be able to get it for a couple hundred bucks. What can I say; I’m a sucker for blue Camaros.

My son is 5. Thinking it might make a good long term project for his first car.

0stones0 03-17-2022 12:33 AM

You really can’t go wrong, if in fact you can get it for “a couple hundred bucks”. A place to store/work on it is the other key ingredient.

102SS 03-17-2022 05:22 AM

Awesome patina ;)

LS swap ,some new suspension and brakes with a set of 18 retro Iroc rims and that would be a killer sleeper :)

Aqua Blue RS/SS 03-17-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 102SS (Post 11147401)
Awesome patina ;)

LS swap ,some new suspension and brakes with a set of 18 retro Iroc rims and that would be a killer sleeper :)

Are you in my head or something??? Lol I was thinking pretty much exactly those things. I think I might be able to get it for less than $500 honestly. I’ve got space to work on it’s well. More go, more whoa, and more G’s on the skid pad is my plan. Might build a nice little road race car out of it. My son is pretty excited at the thought of having a blue Camaro like daddy haha.

ariZona28 03-19-2022 03:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A lot of time and money but it could be priceless if you're bonding with your son. I'm thinking 383 stroker for ease of installation, all brackets, lines etc line right up. Beef up that 700 R4, add a Moser 3.73 12-bolt and you're ready for action. Here's a couple pics of my Fathers '85 with above items installed.

102SS 03-19-2022 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS (Post 11147532)
Are you in my head or something??? Lol I was thinking pretty much exactly those things. I think I might be able to get it for less than $500 honestly. I’ve got space to work on it’s well. More go, more whoa, and more G’s on the skid pad is my plan. Might build a nice little road race car out of it. My son is pretty excited at the thought of having a blue Camaro like daddy haha.

LMAO...LS Swap everything:smiling1:

It's God's engine:smiling1:

tartagliazl1 03-19-2022 07:11 AM

those t-tops are a known problem for leaks. check out the floors and the A pillar for holes and rust. The T-top bar is hard to find in clean condition. I restored a 83 crossfire z28 t-top car.

Aqua Blue RS/SS 03-20-2022 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariZona28 (Post 11148348)
A lot of time and money but it could be priceless if you're bonding with your son. I'm thinking 383 stroker for ease of installation, all brackets, lines etc line right up. Beef up that 700 R4, add a Moser 3.73 12-bolt and you're ready for action. Here's a couple pics of my Fathers '85 with above items installed.

That’s a great looking car. It’s funny with me and the 3rd gens, sometimes I think they look dated and not really my favorite but then I see them all cleaned up with the Iroc package and then they come to life to for me. My buddy at work asked me if the optional clip on mullet was still in the glove box:lol: I may keep it a small block/700r setup for now but eventually I think I’ll swap the 6L90 I’ve got on the floor in the shop along with a 4.8 or 5.3 built up a bit. Maybe I’ll see if I can get one of those two in a package with a 6L80 for a decent price. This build will be a slow one I’ve got a few other projects ahead of it. The moser 12 bolt is definitely on the list. It won’t take me long to blow that puny 7 5/8 10 bolt up.

I’m sure the T tops probably leak; thankfully there’s not much yearly rain up here so hopefully the rust won’t be too bad. My dad bought an 86 brand new and he was telling me he had to have them fixed under warranty because they leaked pretty much from the factory. He was pretty excited when I told him I was thinking about getting this car.

The SS Godfather 03-20-2022 09:47 PM

Love it, assuming all that sand and dry and no rust, could be a keeper at the right price- Still a good looking car when complete-

tartagliazl1 03-21-2022 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine before i sold her. 4th gen rear end with the 4th gen big brake kit up front. 355 and a 200 shot.

The SS Godfather 03-21-2022 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11149071)
Here is mine before i sold her. 4th gen rear end with the 4th gen big brake kit up front. 355 and a 200 shot.

Ahhhhh nice , sort of reminds me the front that is of my old school square head lights Chev 350 Monza i sold years back-:thumbup:

Aqua Blue RS/SS 03-21-2022 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11149071)

Awesome! Really clean car.
I think I’m going to be using some cues from the Detroit speed Iroc in this one. That car is so damn nasty it’s not funny.

For those not in the know.
Mast motorsports flat plane LS7 and all!

tartagliazl1 03-21-2022 07:57 PM

Thanks guys. I put a lot of time and money into that car. It was my wife’s aunts car bought new, then her brother owned it all through high school. It was parked for 5 years in her parent back yard before i convinced him to sell it to me.

The_bald_eagle_machine 03-22-2022 01:02 PM

Thirdgen guru

4 Attachment(s)
Hey there,
As a thirdgen guru myself. I spent 10 years in these cars, one of which being my first car and the other being my 9 year long build car. Many ways to look at this.
1. If you can get it for sub $1000... you could part it out all day and get $2500 + from the parts. I sold my 87 TPI, trans and diff for $1500 with over 100k miles on it. Thirdgen guys are fanatics. They will literally buy every nut and bolt off of this car.
2. Fix it up and keep it stock. It will probably cost more then it is worth to get it back into good shape, but if you love the car then money isn't the issue. You will get thumbs up everywhere you go. My 87 GTA was made up of 5 different colored body panels and people still absolutely loved to see that thing on the road. Nobody even notices me in the 5th gen.

As others have noted. Rust is not this cars friend. I almost guarantee the T-tops leak. But Metro makes a high quality gasket set that wont leak. (Trust me I have tried multiple brands). If the tops have leaked, then check the floor pans. When they get wet they rust, and they will rust all the way through easily. If it is a 305 tpi with t tops it may be a 5 speed, which is a huge bonus. If its an 87 then it is a Non-World class T5 which is very notchy but in my experience, stronger. As an Iroc, it may have the 9 bolt rearend, which is a BITCH to buy parts for, so you are better off selling it to an enthusiast who wants to keep their car stock and original.

There are so many parts to ls swap these cars. Speed engineering makes a set of headers and there 4th gen exhaust bolts right in as well. Alot of guys build very budget friendly LS swaps in these cars. Here are some pictures of my old GTA.

For $500 though... you can't go wrong. Slap some clear coat on it, ls swap it and you will hurt alot of feelings and turn alot of heads. I say do it!