Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   V6 Speed? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8771)

Rob490 10-22-2008 11:25 PM

V6 Speed?

We all know the SS is the speed demon but for some its price range is a little out of availability so i was actually a little concerned about the speed of the v6 camaro considering it weighs so much.

Any details on 0-60 if not any educated guesses?

GamerGuyZ28 10-22-2008 11:29 PM

I believe it's 6.1

Rob490 10-22-2008 11:40 PM

thanx hopefully we will somehow be able to break that 6 mark

GamerGuyZ28 10-23-2008 12:22 AM

Although i had heard it'd pull 5.9 on this site actually, do a little digging and see what you come up with.

Xanthos 10-23-2008 04:36 AM

Refer to this post. I have a feeling it will more accurately reflect actual 0-60 times, when driven by a good driver who knows how to launch.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97039#post97039

- Xanthos

SS4EVER 10-23-2008 01:48 PM

I was thinking of making a posting of this but decided not to just because I don't want to get a lot of people mad at me. But someone I know. (I can't say who) that works at a certain place (I can't say where) just drove a 2010 V6 Camaro LS last night.

I talked to this person just last night, and he gave me his/her driving impressions of it last night. I wanted to know how it felt compared to the Cobalt SS Turbocharged that does 0-60 in 5.5-5.7 seconds. Because it's coming down between these two for me. Well a 2LT Camaro w RS, but in comparison to the Cobalt, I know which is lighter and smaller, this person said that the Camaro V6 is quick for a car it's size but left something to be desired. Granted this is probably still a pre-production Camaro, but I asked them for the fun factor which one would they get between the V6 Camaro and the Cobalt SS Turbocharged, and they said the Cobalt is/feels quicker between the two....

Dom 10-23-2008 08:42 PM

Smaller engine might feel quicker due to it working much harder and revving much higher to produce the same power. I had that perception when I had my 96 V6 and my 00Z(which I still have). Small cars with 4 cylinders are not my cup of tea. It comes down to personal preference.

fazm 10-23-2008 09:33 PM

makes sense since i believe the cobalt ss/tc turned a quicker time around the nuremberg than even the SS, or it was just slower.

SS4EVER 10-23-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom (Post 169896)
Smaller engine might feel quicker due to it working much harder and revving much higher to produce the same power. I had that perception when I had my 96 V6 and my 00Z(which I still have). Small cars with 4 cylinders are not my cup of tea. It comes down to personal preference.

Oh definitely. I know it's sorta unfair to compare a FWD turbo 4 to a RWD N/A V6 Camaro. I do also realize that RWD > FWD ultimately. Which is what I'm trying to get next.

But the Cobalt SS Turbocharged with it's 260hp DI, VVT, Turbocharged and inter-cooled engine makes 260hp & 260ft lbs of torque. It also weighs in only at 2991lbs so 260hp is going to feel plenty powerful for a car its size and I realize that.

My only concern with the Camaro is its weight. Which @ around 3740lbs with only 300hp (which is a lot don't get me wrong) it may not be enough to really move the Camaro as fast as I would like it too. I realize there will be mods out there, but in order to get any real gains, without converting to F.I. bolt-ons will only get you so far.... I guess I just have to wait for the V6 to come out before I can really make any decisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazm (Post 169940)
makes sense since i believe the cobalt ss/tc turned a quicker time around the nuremberg than even the SS, or it was just slower.

The Cobalt SS Turbocharged posted a Gring lap time of 8:22, the Camaro SS was 8:20 so the Balt was two seconds slower...

But who I spoke to last night has test driven practically everything in GM's line up from trucks, to the CTS-V, to the ZR1... So I take his word and impressions very seriously, in that I know what he's talking about. I think I just got my hopes up a little high for what his impression would be after driving a V6 Camaro. It certainly was positive and he gave it two thumbs up you could say. But in comparison to the Cobalt SS Turbo I guess maybe I'm expecting too much from the V6? But ultimately I'm going to have to see for myself when I test drive the two...

Rob490 10-25-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4EVER (Post 170062)
My only concern with the Camaro is its weight. Which @ around 3740lbs with only 300hp (which is a lot don't get me wrong) it may not be enough to really move the Camaro as fast as I would like it too.

This is exactly my Thinking But if its 5.9 im happy enough

TheClassicCarKid 10-25-2008 11:34 PM

It will be at least a 6.1 and they're working to try to get it down to 5.9

Mblock66 10-26-2008 12:47 AM

The jury is out on the V6 performance still. With the SS you get huge Brembo brakes, an upgraded suspension system, a bulletproof trans with coolers, obviously the LS3, better rubber, and lots of other goodies.

In a straight line the V6 may be able to get to 6.1 but it is going to feel sluggish and heavy. There is no way around that. And it will feel like a boat through the twisties. I have a feeling the SS will even feel like a boat which is going to make the V6 really feel fat.

Mr. Wyndham 10-26-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mblock66 (Post 171781)
In a straight line the V6 may be able to get to 6.1 but it is going to feel sluggish and heavy. There is no way around that. And it will feel like a boat through the twisties. I have a feeling the SS will even feel like a boat which is going to make the V6 really feel fat.

Allright. Just stop there for a second.

Have you driven the thing?!?! You make it sound like a Prius!:laugh: Until you do test drive it, please refrain from giving out driving impressions.........:rolleyes: Especially since ALL the magazines that reviewed the V6 said the exact OPPOSITE of what you just posted............

TAG UR IT 10-26-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 171783)
Especially since ALL the magazines that reviewed the V6 said the exact OPPOSITE of what you just posted............

:word: