Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 Rear Suspension noise (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365539)

JacobC1983 06-25-2014 09:22 PM

ZL1 Rear Suspension noise

Does anybody get a small but noticeable clunk noise when they go over potholes at very low speed? I hear it particularly from the right rear. I don't notice it at speed or on the highway, but with pulling up to a stoplight and going over a bump.

WillR 06-25-2014 10:01 PM

Yeah, I notice this as well. Especially when I am going over a portion of the road that stair steps. I got under the car to see if I can find anything loose and I noticed the rear fascia is kind of loose in the middle, figured that may be rattling when I hit the breaks in the concrete, since nothing is really bracing the center section of it.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 06-25-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobC1983 (Post 7773317)
Does anybody get a small but noticeable clunk noise when they go over potholes at very low speed? I hear it particularly from the right rear. I don't notice it at speed or on the highway, but with pulling up to a stoplight and going over a bump.

JacobC1983,

I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a rear suspension concern like this, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Samson2029 06-25-2014 10:40 PM

take a look at the cooling pipe of the differential on the right side. the segment near the joint of the rubber tubing to the metallic pipe may be vibrating against the heat shield when hitting road bumps. if the piping is to close to the heat shield, just bend the shield.

JacobC1983 06-26-2014 06:36 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, I will take a look this evening.

I really don't want to take my vehicle to the dealership. They are so behind with recalls, one dealer keeps the car for 2 days before they even get to it so it sits outside, and the other dealer books appointments 2 weeks away.

JacobC1983 06-26-2014 05:33 PM

Would you mind posting a picture where I should be looking at the heat shield meeting the rubber tubing. I tried to look for it and can't get all the way under the car to see where you are describing.. thank you!

WillR 06-29-2014 10:48 AM

Bump for pic if possible. I have similar sound when driving over stair stepped concrete. Thx

Camero5 06-29-2014 11:59 AM

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayno20 08-20-2014 12:12 AM

Any update on this? I noticed the same issue with my car and I do NOT get it on the drivers side rear only the passenger side rear. It is a fairly distinct "clunk" from that side when going over a bump...

Emvici 08-20-2014 05:23 AM

I don't get any kind of clunk in mine, other then I think magnet ride is so stiff, that the car is going to loosen up against itself, because somethings gotta give with a suspension so stiff.

JacobC1983 08-20-2014 07:53 AM

Still have mine, a member sent me pictures of part of the underside of the car he cut away. I wasn't able to get under the car to reach the area to even see where he had cut.

jayno20 08-20-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobC1983 (Post 7900569)
Still have mine, a member sent me pictures of part of the underside of the car he cut away. I wasn't able to get under the car to reach the area to even see where he had cut.

So something is hitting another piece? After that is cut away the noise stops?

NightmareZL1 08-20-2014 01:57 PM

same here, getting worse with time also. right rear, clunking sound, like a loose suspension component. dealer inspected and said all was okay. no idea what it could be.

JacobC1983 08-20-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson2029 (Post 7773494)
take a look at the cooling pipe of the differential on the right side. the segment near the joint of the rubber tubing to the metallic pipe may be vibrating against the heat shield when hitting road bumps. if the piping is to close to the heat shield, just bend the shield.

This is the presented solution, but I can't get under the car to try it.