Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you have, or do you want, a camshaft for sound first or performance first. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532098)

SquawkVFR 06-21-2018 09:33 PM

Do you have, or do you want, a camshaft for sound first or performance first.

The thread is self explanatory. By all means, choose and discuss.

:popcorn:

Juiced1 06-21-2018 10:54 PM

I voted performance but man that's a tough call. I could see a lot of people doing a cam strictly for sound. We get a lot of customers that just want that chop.

joshnmn 06-22-2018 06:19 AM

I don't really understand why you would pay for something to make your car sound better than it really is, but I agree with you that there are some out there that do. My brother in law has a TBSS and is eager to get a cam in it just for the sound.

hunter1660 06-22-2018 06:22 AM

Why not the best of both worlds?

mrvenicess 06-22-2018 06:55 AM

A tuner can give you a chop without changing your cam but that's kinda like putting ZL1 badges on a v6.

jrob56 06-22-2018 08:18 AM

Guess its odd to break it up, never though about one then the other. I would say performance first but if Im going there I want the sound too.

Welker2 06-22-2018 08:31 AM

When it comes to internal engine mods, for me performance will always be the first consideration :happy0180:

Outlaw77 06-22-2018 09:33 AM

A cam is for performance. The sound and/or chop is a by product.

Avenging Orange 06-22-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw77 (Post 10226485)
A cam is for performance. The sound and/or chop is a by product.

Exactly!
It's kinda scary how ideas have change over the generations.

Dragonman 06-22-2018 02:09 PM

I reckon I'm old school in that form (sound) should always follow function (performance).

Nowadays folks seem to think if it don't look good it don't matter what it does.

just paddin' my post count lookin' fer WO1 bar.

Livernois Motorsports 06-22-2018 04:04 PM

Luckily in the LS world when you upgrade your camshaft you will also get improved sound. Of course there are options for those that like the stock sound but want a cam for the performance improvements, which is where our 1C cam comes in to keep a stock style idle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnmn (Post 10226284)
I don't really understand why you would pay for something to make your car sound better than it really is, but I agree with you that there are some out there that do. My brother in law has a TBSS and is eager to get a cam in it just for the sound.

Everyone knows that a catback is not worth any performance on a modern performance car, but look at how popular of a modification this is!

pyroguy 06-22-2018 04:12 PM

I'm planning on upgrading my Camaro with a cam and a blower eventually. I figure since I have a child now, I can only do one for the foreseeable future so I'm going to choose cam. The reason I'm choosing cam is because I LOVE the sound of a cammed V8. That being said, I voted performance. The reason why I voted performance is because if the only reason anyone ever got a cam was to have the sound of a cam, I'd go with the blower all day long and forget the cam. If you don't get significant performance improvement for an upgrade like that then there really isn't a point. That money could be better spent many other places. However, just because you want better performance doesn't mean you have to get a race cam. Get what meets your driving and future mod needs. Because I'm eventually going to get a blower, I'm going with a cam that is good for NA and good for forced induction. The two I'm looking at are BTR Stage 3 and Texas Speed VVT 2.2.

Iron Lung Jimmy 06-22-2018 05:49 PM

This thread :facepalm:

Buying a cam based on how it sounds is like buying medicine based on how it tastes.

And buying a cam just for the sound practically defines the term "poseur"

SquawkVFR 06-22-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy (Post 10227172)
This thread :facepalm:

Buying a cam based on how it sounds is like buying medicine based on how it tastes.

And buying a cam just for the sound practically defines the term "poseur"

Well put. And while I believe the sincerity of everyone that’s posted so far, and I share your view... and without judging, (hey, it’s thier money right?) I would say there are a great number of people forking over thousands of dollars just for a sound. I didn’t open this thread to poke fun.....but like Jimmy said....the term is defined. I’ll be the first to admit I always laugh to myself when anyone asks me which cam sounds the best. At least tell people you’re cammed up for power and not sound right?