Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does Dexcool Antifreeze ruin your engine? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131184)

5th_GEN_SS 02-23-2011 10:11 PM

Does Dexcool Antifreeze ruin your engine?

Ok so I know this is an ongoing problem/rumor...

that Dexcool makes sludge in your motor .. eats.. corrodes... bad.
How much of this is true? If it were such an issue wouldnt GM start using some other fluid?

Some say that problems occur only after 5 years.. others say that the problems occur because directions call for it to be used with distilled water and are not followed.

What is the truth to all this?

5th_GEN_SS 02-23-2011 10:21 PM

"i heard they reformulated the dexcool and remade all the gaskets" from a fellow owner... true?

VonDutch 02-23-2011 10:35 PM

I swapped mine with a new mix of 50/50 Distilled water and Dex-cool (maintenance)

I seriously doubt that dex cool with do anything but good for your motor

All factory Fluid fills have held up to the test of time and Proven reliable

Whats not so reliable is the stuff you read on the internet lol

5th_GEN_SS 02-23-2011 10:40 PM

well said. why did you change yours so soon? or is that in your vett?

KnightRiderSS 02-23-2011 10:55 PM

As long as you don't mix it with the "green stuff", change it when you are supposed to, and don't let the level get too low you should be ok. Some of the bottles you buy may say compatible with all coolants but if its not dexcool it will shorten your change interval to every 2 years/30,000 miles.

My 1996 blazer has dexcool, the silicon in the dexcool, if you don't change it when you are supposed to gums up. I cut the lines to my heater core and flushed it out with a garden house because my heater stopped working...a thick putty/paste came out and after that the heater worked fine...

Rockslam 02-24-2011 01:40 AM

As a mechanic i saw many a dex-cool "sand" as we called it. Common to see it on systems that were leaking. When the dex-cool mixes with air inthe system it turns to a paste and would leave deposits in the intake/radiator/heater core. But as long as you keep it full and address leaks in a timely manner. You shouldn't have a problem. And the aluminum intakes did appear corroded/pitted where the paste was.

5th_GEN_SS 02-24-2011 05:21 AM

So is this a issue we shld be worried about with our cars? some one said it was reformulated? >>> rumor?

SILVERHAWK 02-24-2011 05:33 AM

I'm not a big fan of Dex-cool and neither is the place where I get my vehicles serviced. I have changed all mine out to the "chameleon" fluid. I had a Grand Prix where the dex-cool failed alot sooner than it should have. I couldn't believe it when they showed me that it was all clumped up in the system.

mpiper 02-24-2011 06:41 AM

This is the first I've heard of this (it's also my first GM car in 20 years). But I think I'm going to do a complete swap to the Amsoil coolant at 5,000 to avoid the danger.

Rogue Leader 02-24-2011 07:02 AM

I've had dex cool in many cars, even some that didnt originally come with it for over 13 years. 2 things that will ruin Dexcool and your system

1. Mixing it with green stuff. NEVER EVER DO THIS

2. Air Leaks. If your system is leaky for a while it will gum up the dex cool. This is where it got its rep from because most people are lazy about their car maintenance. SO they have a small coolant leak, they leave it like they did the SEL and the BRAKE lights because people don't give a crap about their cars. The system breaks. Mechanic says "the Dex cool gummed it up" and there you have it.

Russell James 02-24-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS (Post 2881291)
So is this a issue we shld be worried about with our cars? some one said it was reformulated? >>> rumor?

No, not an issue with the Camaro. The vehicles that had this problem were years ago. Better designed cooling systems since then. You'll notice the Camaro has a plastic rad cap with and O ring seal. And when you pop it off it will be full. No air gap, no metal cap to rust.

TooCool5 02-24-2011 10:35 AM

Just keep it full and change it out every 5 yrs and it should be OK.
My 96 Bonneville had a Dex cool class action and GM has since changed to the Prestone Dex as their supplier.

DarkObsession 02-24-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 2881396)
I've had dex cool in many cars, even some that didnt originally come with it for over 13 years. 2 things that will ruin Dexcool and your system

1. Mixing it with green stuff. NEVER EVER DO THIS

2. Air Leaks. If your system is leaky for a while it will gum up the dex cool. This is where it got its rep from because most people are lazy about their car maintenance. SO they have a small coolant leak, they leave it like they did the SEL and the BRAKE lights because people don't give a crap about their cars. The system breaks. Mechanic says "the Dex cool gummed it up" and there you have it.

Quoted for truth. Used to work as a mechanic and Dexcool is solid as long as you take care of your car.

afireinside 02-24-2011 12:07 PM

Eh I plan on keeping my 08 z71 for 200,000 miles or more and cheap insurance was to do a full flush and get the dexcool out. I over maintenance my vehicles anyway so I would NEVER let coolant sit for 5yrs/100,000 miles, ever under any circumstances and to risk a leak where the air would cause a paste and damage something...... Nope no thanks