Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Where should I go to get oil changed after 500 miles? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30312)

GoldFire 07-01-2009 12:31 PM

Where should I go to get oil changed after 500 miles?

I keep reading that I should get my oil changed after 500 miles, so I would like to go do that today or tomorrow since I'm already up to 600 almost. I don't really trust anyone with my car, where should I go to get the oil changed? The dealership rips you off, so I assume I should go to some place like Jiffy Lube or Firestone? Also, do I just go and get a regular oil change, or do I ask them for something special since its part of the break-in?

ssump29 07-01-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldFire (Post 638449)
I keep reading that I should get my oil changed after 500 miles, so I would like to go do that today or tomorrow since I'm already up to 600 almost. I don't really trust anyone with my car, where should I go to get the oil changed? The dealership rips you off, so I assume I should go to some place like Jiffy Lube or Firestone? Also, do I just go and get a regular oil change, or do I ask them for something special since its part of the break-in?

Why do you think you need to get an oil change after 500 miles? Stop listening to everything you hear around here because a lot people just talk thrash and don't know what they are talking about. Yoy don't need to change the oil and when you do go to the dealership as no other people will have any info on this car since its so new and not a lot around.

BrianGriffin78 07-01-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldFire (Post 638449)

Some people are obsessed . I took my car for an oil change after 1500 miles and that there was kinda soon. The guy at the GM dealer even said, I won't have to get another one for another 5,000 miles.

I'd go to a dealer because they are GM certified, but then I think anyone would be able to do it. Oil change is not exactly brain surgery. :iono:

badkarma 07-01-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssump29 (Post 638484)
Why do you think you need to get an oil change after 500 miles? Stop listening to everything you hear around here because a lot people just talk thrash and don't know what they are talking about. Yoy don't need to change the oil and when you do go to the dealership as no other people will have any info on this car since its so new and not a lot around.

:word:

The engineers at GM know a helluva lot more than anyone about their engines and what processes they go through.

My suggestion would be to follow the directions in the manual.

DarrenJ 07-01-2009 12:51 PM

It's Mobil 1 and you have an oil filter, why 500 miles? :popcorn:

Oh, and change it yourself so you'll know whats going back in.

...and stay away from Fram filters...

ssump29 07-01-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 (Post 638506)
Some people are obsessed . I took my car for an oil change after 1500 miles and that there was kinda soon. The guy at the GM dealer even said, I won't have to get another one for another 5,000 miles.

I'd go to a dealer because they are GM certified, but then I think anyone would be able to do it. Oil change is not exactly brain surgery. :iono:

I know it ain't brain surgey but when I got my GTO brand new no local or any chain would do an oil change on it because they hadn't seen one and didn't have any knowledge on the car, so I would think it would be the same with the Camaro.

Sunny 07-01-2009 12:52 PM

take it to GM, take a good look at it, and before you pay have another look check for scratches and dings best prevention you can do

SamsinSS 07-01-2009 12:55 PM

Take it back to the dealer. Stay away from Jiffy Lube........

brandotron 07-01-2009 12:58 PM

Dealer or do it yourself. EZLube JUST cross threaded my girlfriend's drain plug :mad0259:

ravensjeff 07-01-2009 12:59 PM

I haven't gotten thru the whole owner's manual yet, but I thought someone mentioned that it said do the first one at 1800 miles?

I do know that GM (Which includes the Engineers who designed the whole thing) said to change the oil ongoing when the car tells you to. Depending on how you drive, this could be over 10,000 miles. Do NOT go by what the dealer says- they do it based on earning money- GM reasoning is based on sound engineering that the car uses to tell you when it is needed.

I would strongly urge you to use the dealer for the service though. As said above, the car is too new to let some kid go at it.

BrianGriffin78 07-01-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssump29 (Post 638522)
I know it ain't brain surgey but when I got my GTO brand new no local or any chain would do an oil change on it because they hadn't seen one and didn't have any knowledge on the car, so I would think it would be the same with the Camaro.

That's why I took it to a GM dealer and got raped with the price. :facepalm:

larietrope 07-01-2009 01:04 PM

Buy the oil and filter at Advance, etc, then take it to dealer. Why pay some schmo at a Jiffy Lube to it if you won't ?

soverydeb 07-01-2009 01:04 PM

my dealer said not till 5000 miles, then the Vehicle Info System gives you an update anyway...

ssump29 07-01-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 (Post 638570)
That's why I took it to a GM dealer and got raped with the price. :facepalm:

It is what it is, but when you got nice cars like this I rather overpay and have it done right and feel safe then be cheap and worry about the performance of my car later down the line.

And once again why the hell is this guy trying to change his oil after 500 miles, he does know that the computer gives him an engine oil life right.