Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Who trailers their car to the track? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251638)

danielblack60 09-22-2012 03:26 PM

Who trailers their car to the track?

I'm planning on taking my car to beech bend raceway sometime soon. I want to haul it there on my trailer just in case I break something (track is an hour and a half from my house). I was wondering where you all put the straps in the front. I have hauled my 1973 roadrunner to the track several times but I didn't have to worry about a big plastic bumper being in the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

pyr0b0y 09-22-2012 03:28 PM

I use tie downs. I wrap them around the lower control arms. I've seen others that wrap around the tires, but I haven't personally strapped my car down that way. I believe Robert (SSE 4 2SS) ties his car down on the tires.

danielblack60 09-22-2012 03:32 PM

I'll give the lower control arms a try. Thanks!

jrpxxii 09-22-2012 11:34 PM

I just wrap a small strap thru the wheel and hook into the strap with my straps as it keeps them under the front bumper. I have also run it around the front K member but its a pain reaching under the car.

jrpxxii 09-22-2012 11:35 PM

Let me know when you come down to Beech Bend as I live in Bowling Green and will be running there alot.

mikepage0007 09-23-2012 09:57 AM

trailered mine a few times, and always have used the tire wrap method..

SSE 4 2SS 09-23-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielblack60 (Post 5608116)
I'm planning on taking my car to beech bend raceway sometime soon. I want to haul it there on my trailer just in case I break something (track is an hour and a half from my house). I was wondering where you all put the straps in the front. I have hauled my 1973 roadrunner to the track several times but I didn't have to worry about a big plastic bumper being in the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have e-track mounted on my trailer... It works on metal or wood deck trailers, and use tire webs to secure the car... You can look at this stuff at etrailer.com or uscargocontrol.com... I've bought from both of them and they both have excellent service.... You need three of the track heavy duty tie downs for each tire... And the tires webs... These are mostly universal tire webs, but you can order some custom fit ones in a variety of colors...I'll post up the parts I ordered tomorrow when I am on something other than my iPad...if you're interested...

danielblack60 09-23-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses! And jrpxxii I'll be sure to let you know when I plan on going. I'm going to wait a few weeks and make sure the air is nice and cool. Hoping to make it on the bolt ons fast list :thumbsup:

danielblack60 09-23-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 5612165)
I have e-track mounted on my trailer... It works on metal or wood deck trailers, and use tire webs to secure the car... You can look at this stuff at etrailer.com or uscargocontrol.com... I've bought from both of them and they both have excellent service.... You need three of the track heavy duty tie downs for each tire... And the tires webs... These are mostly universal tire webs, but you can order some custom fit ones in a variety of colors...I'll post up the parts I ordered tomorrow when I am on something other than my iPad...if you're interested...

Yes sir that would be great! Thanks for the info. It's a little different than strapping down an old roadrunner. Never really had to deal with plastic bumpers and irs! One strap around the rear axle and a strap through the subframe up front and that old car wouldn't go anywhere haha.

Norm Peterson 09-24-2012 08:49 AM

Tying off to suspension links makes me nervous. Really nervous, because links aren't supposed to be loaded that way (in bending).

Some years ago, we had a BMW collapse a rear suspension link at autocross. The link had been bent just a little by improper tie-down procedure (the car's owner confirmed an earlier flatbed tow), and it took only a few moderately hard corners to finish it off.

Even if you're "just drag racing" and the car sees little street use, it's not worth the risk.

Norm

danielblack60 09-24-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 5613655)
Tying off to suspension links makes me nervous. Really nervous, because links aren't supposed to be loaded that way (in bending).

Some years ago, we had a BMW collapse a rear suspension link at autocross. The link had been bent just a little by improper tie-down procedure (the car's owner confirmed an earlier flatbed tow), and it took only a few moderately hard corners to finish it off.

Even if you're "just drag racing" and the car sees little street use, it's not worth the risk.

Norm

Thanks for the info. I'll look into one of those tire net kits. When it comes to a 35000 dollar car I guess it doesn't pay to take shortcuts on something that serious. May as well do it right the first time!