Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's talk about servicing our Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10081)

jag107 11-28-2008 02:09 PM

Let's talk about servicing our Camaros

What is everyone going to do? Garage oil changes or take it to the dealer?
Also, what oil is everyone planning on using?

jimbo57 11-28-2008 02:13 PM

dealer. only for convenience. disposing of the old oil isn't easy where i am. i'm a steady customer and am treated well. i will use synthetic, as probably will be factory reccomended.

CWI 11-28-2008 02:27 PM

Mobile 1. Didn't I see someone on here say it has synthetic from the factory? If so, wouldn't that mean the engine is already broke in as it is not reccomended to use synthetic for break in? Would that also put an end to all the break in concerns people have?:iono:

camaro5 11-28-2008 03:10 PM

Dealer BAD, home garage GOOD.

FenwickHockey65 11-28-2008 03:15 PM

Dealer for first oil change and checkup, then me for everything after that.

Castrol GTX FTW.

CamaroScotty 11-28-2008 03:27 PM

We offer free loaners, and your 5th oil change (synthetic included) is free.

Why wouldn't you take it to the dealer that knows the car?

diddiyo 11-28-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 203365)

well, as we have learned with the ordering process etc, unfortunately not every dealer knows his cars as well as you do...

2010 Camaro RS 11-28-2008 03:33 PM

Garage oil change with royal purple!

PsyDoc 11-28-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 203365)

Honestly, most dealers (not all) pay their "oil guys" next to nothing for doing an oil change and the faster they do it, the more they make. They rush the job and are not exactly careful when moving the cars. In my experience, they do not seem to care about the cars the way many of us do. The dings that have been put in many of my cars have come from a dealer employee. The dealer has always denied it and that walk around sheet they filled out did not amount to damn thing. The oil stains on my carpet, door panel, fender/front fascia/hood, steering wheel, seat, and anywhere else the guy chose to touch took me longer to clean up than doing the oil change myself...which I do. I've brought such "inattentiveness" up in the past and asked that it be cleaned off. I've gotten responses, such as "Your kidding, right?" I see the dealer only when necessary.

theholycow 11-28-2008 03:46 PM

Back yard in the summer, father in law's garage in the winter.

stovt001 11-28-2008 04:06 PM

Depends on where I'm living. Right now I live in an apartment so I can only do simple task like air filters myself. Oil changes and the like will have to go to someone else. There are some good dealers I've found that not only do a good clean job, but don't charge much either. Some independent shops (not Jiffy Lube) are good too.

Emher 11-28-2008 04:06 PM

I'd do it myself. Have total control over it and I don't want nobdy touching my car then me. Plus it would be great to show up in the service hall with the Camaro next to all the boring cars around here :D

MerF 11-28-2008 04:16 PM

I really want to have dealer documentation for everything with this car. AS I've never been the first owner of a car in my life I intend to make the most of being able to track it's history.

That being said, the horror story of the Corvette owner that was shared here the last week or so scared the bejeesus out of me.

CamaroSpike23 11-28-2008 06:31 PM

I change my own oil. tho I might let the dealership do the first couple while its still under warranty. but then again, no car ive ever owned has ever had a warranty and ive never worried about it. mainly cus I like to "change" things on my cars.

not to mention, ive read reports that if you use a motor oil other than the type used in the car when you get it, it will void your powertrain warranty.
not sure about the validity of that tho.

and Royal purple will be swapped into my car after about 1000 miles.