Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Best way to launch with manual transmission? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25166)

Foglin 06-01-2009 12:38 AM

Best way to launch with manual transmission?

Hi,
Just wondering, what is the best way to launch with the manual transmission on the strip (without launch control)?
I have some experience with auto :sm0:! That is just limiting the wheel spin with your foot (street tires)!!
I've read that the launch control is not the quickest way. Should one use more or less rpm off the line? I mean on a prepared drag strip, not on the street, but still with street tires.
Somebody give hint, because I need a time slip.

Camaro_Corvette 06-01-2009 12:39 AM

Release clutch, mash gas. :iono:

Disclaimer: I don't recommend listening to anything that I say since I don't know what I'm talking about.

qbert48 06-01-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro_corvette (Post 538470)
Release clutch, mash gas. :iono:

Disclaimer: I don't recommend listening to anything that I say since I don't know what I'm talking about.

yep+1

2SSJIM 06-01-2009 03:13 AM

Practice... practice and more practice till you get it right! Every clutch is different so the only thing you can do is learn your car!

Camaro123 06-01-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSJIM (Post 538580)
Practice... practice and more practice till you get it right! Every clutch is different so the only thing you can do it learn your car!

Absolutely correct, you have to learn your car as every launch will be deferent depending on the tiers, asphalt, temperature, etc.

Good luck practicing :headbang:

lordfriday2 06-01-2009 04:34 AM

don't launch at 4k at the track.... I learned that the hard way

KILLER74Z28 06-01-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordfriday2 (Post 538608)
don't launch at 4k at the track.... I learned that the hard way

Do tell... :confused0068:

Kyle2k 06-01-2009 09:18 AM

Shouldn't this go in the racing section of the forum?

UCF w00t 06-01-2009 09:22 AM

I think a few of the review videos may have mentioned how they got their times. Might be a good reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 (Post 538714)
Do tell... :confused0068:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25043

2010 CAMARO SS RS 06-03-2009 03:01 PM

start at medium throttle for .75 second then floor it. when you shift from 1st to 2nd , and so on, take your foot off the clutch really fast and floor it!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will get no wheel spin.

Foglin 06-07-2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 CAMARO SS RS (Post 548089)
start at medium throttle for .75 second then floor it. when you shift from 1st to 2nd , and so on, take your foot off the clutch really fast and floor it!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will get no wheel spin.

Tried just what you described, otherwise all as "described"! But, had very serious wheelspin (and some wheel hop!) off the line. I tried anything between 1000 and 2000 as starting rpms. 2000 is too much for street tires and 1000 makes it bog! Once it gets up and goes it's a no brainer! chirps 1-2 shift as well as 2-3 shift!
Should I start as Granma? Just babying it off the line, as in any street corner? Or, should I go and buy Drag radials, or worst case: get a driving course:iono:
Guess I need more practice:facepalm:

But its fun:happyanim:

rayhawk 06-07-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foglin (Post 560394)
Tried just what you described, otherwise all as "described"! But, had very serious wheelspin (and some wheel hop!) off the line. I tried anything between 1000 and 2000 as starting rpms. 2000 is too much for street tires and 1000 makes it bog! Once it gets up and goes it's a no brainer! chirps 1-2 shift as well as 2-3 shift!
Should I start as Granma? Just babying it off the line, as in any street corner? Or, should I go and buy Drag radials, or worst case: get a driving course:iono:
Guess I need more practice:facepalm:

But its fun:happyanim:

Try slipping the clutch a bit, just ease it out a bit slower when taking off. Try and concentrate on holding the rpm steady, watch the tach and keep it at say 2000rpm. Don't let it drop below 2k. Release the clutch a bit slower than during a normal 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift. As soon as you are almost all the way out with the clutch, roll onto the throttle quickly. Play with the rpm you leave at and the amount of time to let out the clutch until you find the best launch.

Obviously, you have to be careful not to slip it real bad, you probably don't want to put the engine at 5k and slip the clutch for 2 seconds, but you should be able to find a nice range where you get off the line quickly.

Foglin 06-08-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayhawk (Post 561421)
Try slipping the clutch a bit, just ease it out a bit slower when taking off. Try and concentrate on holding the rpm steady, watch the tach and keep it at say 2000rpm. Don't let it drop below 2k. Release the clutch a bit slower than during a normal 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift. As soon as you are almost all the way out with the clutch, roll onto the throttle quickly. Play with the rpm you leave at and the amount of time to let out the clutch until you find the best launch.

Obviously, you have to be careful not to slip it real bad, you probably don't want to put the engine at 5k and slip the clutch for 2 seconds, but you should be able to find a nice range where you get off the line quickly.

Thanks Rayhawk!
I figured it would be something like that, just don't want to burn the clutch. Maybe I was too concerned about that and popped the clutch to quickly. Need to practice, that all!

War Eagle 06-09-2009 09:32 AM

With stock tires drive around the water. Experiment with RPM, try 2,000 to start with and as has been said ease the clutch out till you get some traction, then hammer it.

I had some terrible initial times with my GT500 on stock tires till I learned. I went from a 9.5 to 8.5 in the 1/8 mile pretty quickly.Your times will get better each time you run just remember to avoid the water. Run by yourself the first several times, less pressure.
Steve