Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2011 Double Din Installed Today! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126643)

mikeeee 01-29-2011 07:08 PM

2011 Double Din Installed Today!

1 Attachment(s)
Just installed a Double din with cd,dvd,tv,nav,bluetooth, sd card slot,ipod connection, am/fm, with 7" screen and 11" head rest monitors w/video inputs for your playstation,xbox. Radio has pip while navigation is on. Load up all your music videos on the sd card and go! Screen is touch screen. Yes onstar still works perfect as does all other functions. Radio also has built in radar detection that shows you where the radar is on the nav screen long before you get to where the radar is!
Used the metra kit. Metra kit did need some modification. It is not plug and play as they say. I can detail a little more or be glad to help walk you through an install if you decide to do one. Radio delivered to home under $300. Headrest monitors $179 free shipping. Metra kit 99-3010s $189 free shipping. Kinda grainey cell pic attached.Will upload more/better pic tomorrow. 2011 Camaro LS non-amplified system.:headbang:
Attachment 202347

Topdown 01-29-2011 07:11 PM

looks good, what head did you get? and what mods did you have to do to the metra?

do you actually have passengers in your car to need headrest monitors? can barely get my 6 & 7 yr olds back there!

mikeeee 01-29-2011 07:30 PM

Head unit is a no name version from ebay. But so far it works great and has features you cannot find in $1400 head units. Picture is fab. Monitors are for other drivers!:headbang: Couple of mods in the metra kit. Had to splice into harness of metra kit for the front speaker wires.+and- Kinda weird why the harness was done that way. Also could not intially get 12v switched power so radio would not come on. Instructions said connect a blue wire of the harness to the brake wire of the head unit. When you look at the blue wire though it has right rear+ stamped on it. Called metra and they said they make the harnesses out of whatever wire is available during manufacturing. I said thanks for stating that in the instructions. Anyway it works great!

mikeeee 01-29-2011 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of a few of the wires!
Attachment 202353

dmartin7700 01-29-2011 07:53 PM

Where did u get the metra kit for at 189

mikeeee 01-29-2011 07:59 PM

ebay on the metra kit 189 free shipping. search ebay and you will find it.

Darth Martel 01-29-2011 11:00 PM

Holy shit!!! How did you get that thing in your dash with those wires all crazy? I'm assuming you bundled them up with either tape and zip ties and tucked them away in the dash?

And yes, there is some slight modification to the speaker wires. Metra assumes you will be using amps so it ships the harnesses with RCA plugs on the ends of the speaker wire. You can either buy an RCA to 2-wire adapter or you can cut off the RCA's and splice.

Good find on the metra kit for 189. I got mine for $200 also with free shipping.

Good luck with the head unit... sounds like it has some sweet options.

2010 SSRS 01-29-2011 11:01 PM

looks awesome

Capthowdy 01-29-2011 11:07 PM

if you gotta have it I guess...it just takes away from the look of the dash panel....looks cheesy...cheap JMHO

Darth Martel 01-29-2011 11:14 PM

The silver finish is what I think makes the metra kit look cheap. Painting it makes it look A TON better. See my thread for comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capthowdy (Post 2783177)
if you gotta have it I guess...it just takes away from the look of the dash panel....looks cheesy...cheap JMHO

mikeeee 01-30-2011 07:21 PM

The wires pic was while i was testing everything. Actually the silver blends in with the rest of the trim pretty good I think. As far as cheap looks go,it is all plastic. I didn't want to paint it, but I guess if you want to, everyone has their on style. Wires were wire tied then hidden behind head unit. The space hog was the huge 44pin factory harness plug and the metra interface. It was a tight fit. Next up 2 amps and 2 or 3 15's or 12's! Radio has 50 watts rms, not a rump shaker but it will do till I get the amps and subs in. May not put in subs though. Might just use the 6x9's from The loudest.com I had a pair in my other ride and them boys, with the right amp will make your hair stand up!:thumbup:

jhintz20 01-31-2011 09:41 AM

What headunit do you have?

xxlbeerz 01-31-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Martel (Post 2783159)
Holy shit!!! How did you get that thing in your dash with those wires all crazy? I'm assuming you bundled them up with either tape and zip ties and tucked them away in the dash?

When I did mine I made a battle plan, took all of the harnesses and made a couple of long bundles outside of the car with everything connected or soldered. There's really too much going on to do it in the dash properly IMO. Then when I installed used velcro wire bundlers to put it all together. Zip ties are too hard to remove.

Also, I covered the dash plastic with tape and had a towel over everything low...

99prbms 01-31-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeeee (Post 2782706)
Head unit is a no name version from ebay. But so far it works great and has features you cannot find in $1400 head units. Picture is fab. Monitors are for other drivers!:headbang: Couple of mods in the metra kit. Had to splice into harness of metra kit for the front speaker wires.+and- Kinda weird why the harness was done that way. Also could not intially get 12v switched power so radio would not come on. Instructions said connect a blue wire of the harness to the brake wire of the head unit. When you look at the blue wire though it has right rear+ stamped on it. Called metra and they said they make the harnesses out of whatever wire is available during manufacturing. I said thanks for stating that in the instructions. Anyway it works great!

how is that screen working out for you? i have a kenwood double din nav.. but a freind of mine is looking to get a screen, i might recommend he tries one like you have.