Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Motor Oil? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512797)

silver.ice18 11-08-2017 08:16 AM

Best Motor Oil?

I’m selling my 2014 2LS Camaro and I want the next owner to have a fresh oil change. I’ve only used 5W-30 Valvoline Full Synthetic for the 1 year that I’ve had the car and the 2 oil changes I’ve done. I’m opening up my options to Royal Purple, Valvoline Full Synthetic, or Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Which would you recommend? It only has about 53,500 miles and since I’m selling the car I don’t want to spend much.

Olddudesrule 11-08-2017 08:29 AM

Just use what you've been using. What sense does it make to change it now. For your application, the Valvoline is fine.

gringo 11-08-2017 08:43 AM

Just reset the oil life monitor on the DIC and you won't have to change the oil. The next owner won't know the difference.

splashlog48 11-08-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringo (Post 9967901)
Just reset the oil life monitor on the DIC and you won't have to change the oil. The next owner won't know the difference.

Hahahahaha !!!!!

hrpiii 11-08-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver.ice18 (Post 9967845)
I’m selling my 2014 2LS Camaro and I want the next owner to have a fresh oil change. I’ve only used 5W-30 Valvoline Full Synthetic for the 1 year that I’ve had the car and the 2 oil changes I’ve done. I’m opening up my options to Royal Purple, Valvoline Full Synthetic, or Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Which would you recommend? It only has about 53,500 miles and since I’m selling the car I don’t want to spend much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by splashlog48 (Post 9968075)
Hahahahaha !!!!!

If I was purchasing a used vehicle, I would change the oil any way, not knowing or believing what the previous user put in it. That is unfortunately the times we live in.

JDP Sales 11-08-2017 10:52 AM

We've had great success and been happy with Joe Gibbs Racing oil for many years. We are now using Maxima Racing oils which is a fantastic oil with great additives.
Feel free to call, email, or PM me with any questions.

Regards,
Brandon

ChibiBlackSheep 11-08-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 9968091)
If I was purchasing a used vehicle, I would change the oil any way, not knowing or believing what the previous user put in it. That is unfortunately the times we live in.

x2. When I buy a car, I swap all of the fluids anyway so that I know what's in there and when it was done.

Don't worry about "upgrading" oil for the new owner.

JLSuperfly 11-08-2017 02:47 PM

You are a good man.

Welker2 11-08-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 9968146)
x2. When I buy a car, I swap all of the fluids anyway so that I know what's in there and when it was done.

Don't worry about "upgrading" oil for the new owner.

X3 - the first thing I've always done when I've bought used cars is change all the fluids and filters. I do this to ensure quality products are being used and so that I have a known starting point for future servicing...I never rely on the previous owner's or dealership's word on what has been used or when the last servicing was conducted :happy0180:

christianchevell 11-08-2017 05:28 PM

Use what you normally use your a unmodified engine stock specs; and full synthetic is fine if you don't press it too long. If selling also the receipt would be nice for another owner if left in the car..or say the sticker stating oil change at a jiffy lube and they can go from there.

Moto-Mojo 11-08-2017 07:07 PM

I find the KFC's discarded fryer oil works in a pinch. They throw it away anyway. Runs like a chicken with its head cut off on that shit!

silversleeper 11-08-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

This more or less. Check all the fluids and tires and belts and hoses to make sure it's safe as far as you can see. If the oil isn't super dirty it won't hurt it to run another 6mo with it. A broken belt or hose or low on coolant is a bad thing.
We have all heard how the oil changer guys forget to add oil and start it up and run it, and ruin the engine. I know of a few incidents personally, it's not so rare. Also know of some where they were going to sell it and had the oil changed for the sale and it happened. That sucks also because now you have a car with a destroyed engine to take care of.

gringo 11-08-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversleeper (Post 9968908)
This more or less. Check all the fluids and tires and belts and hoses to make sure it's safe as far as you can see. If the oil isn't super dirty it won't hurt it to run another 6mo with it. A broken belt or hose or low on coolant is a bad thing.
We have all heard how the oil changer guys forget to add oil and start it up and run it, and ruin the engine. I know of a few incidents personally, it's not so rare. Also know of some where they were going to sell it and had the oil changed for the sale and it happened. That sucks also because now you have a car with a destroyed engine to take care of.

That's one thing I always fear when changing my own oil. Some one or some thing is going to distract me. Then, I'm going to start up the car with no oil in it and ruin the engine.

Luckily, nothing like that has ever happened and I try to keep myself ultra focused when changing the oil. However, I always wondered how long it would take for the engine to seize if you started it up with no oil in it. Or, if you caught it in time and shut it off, would there be any permanent damage?

SIR SS 11-08-2017 11:41 PM

Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30