Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SMS Camaro to be produced (by Steve Saleen) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11393)

daddyseth1 01-07-2009 02:25 PM

So true. They let him slap his name on the rims and the seats and stake his claim to fame? All of a sudden he is a Chevy fan now? Give me a break.

daddyseth1 01-07-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 237273)
Personally, I'll just customize my own car.

At this point I'm even planning to hand embroider my headrests. Thats right, I'll be doing it. Don't need to pay anybody. I just need to learn to embroider first.
- Xanthos

HAHAHAHAHA that was funny!:sm0:

diaz62601 01-07-2009 02:31 PM

OK!! So whos pissed at themself for jumping the gun and ordering a cam

know that Saleen is going to build a model and going to sell it thriough chevy!

linkwpc 01-07-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyseth1 (Post 237295)
So true. They let him slap his name on the rims and the seats and stake his claim to fame? All of a sudden he is a Chevy fan now? Give me a break.

I do not think saleen is a fan now. I just doing it for business. I think it will be good thing for the car. They will start to make parts for the car and it may be good.. (or not) But also it will make the GM more money to take some mustang owner to camaro. I think overall it a good thing. I just hope he does not mess it up!

Sizzox 01-07-2009 02:34 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/01/s...nd-570x-challe

Info about the challenger. Will add to top too.

Steve Saleen's fledgling new company, SMS Supercars, is getting ready to officially debut its first production car and has released a few more photos and information regarding the 570 and 570X Challenger. According to the new press release, the two models are targeted to start at $60,000 and $70,000, respectively. Yes, that's quite a chunk of change, but SMS is making it worthwhile with an extensive list of upgrades. Starting with the powertrain, the SMS 296 supercharger pushes massive amounts of air to the 5.7L HEMI, and true enthusiasts will be glad to know that a proper 6-speed manual transmission will be doing the shifting. Both models also get a high performance suspension, exhaust, 20-inch wheels, and 14-inch front and 12-inch rear brakes. For the exterior, SMS replaces the front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and hood, and adds a rear spoiler. The 570X model also receives carbon fiber front and rear splitters, a carbon fiber diffuser, and a rear wing that replaces the spoiler. The interior receives upgrades as well, including two-tone leather sport seats, leather door inserts, a leather grip shifter, 200-mph gauge cluster, and auxiliary gauges for the supercharger. Each vehicle will also be personally signed by Steve Saleen. Follow the jump for the press release and check out the gallery below.

MerF 01-07-2009 02:38 PM

I'm on the hater bandwagon as well, for anyone keeping count.

Xanthos 01-07-2009 02:38 PM

Although I didn't order yet, I think you're misreading the effect of this announcement. Most people are p***ed BECAUSE saleen is building a camaro.
- Xanthos

GTAHVIT 01-07-2009 02:40 PM

Merf hates spewleen also....

Got it. :thumbsup:

:D

MerF 01-07-2009 02:40 PM

Yeah...I doubt any real Camaor enthusiast is going to be the "SMS" Camaro thing. The funny thing is, the Mustang owners that are (and should) jump ship will not buy one because they have fond memories of Saleen Mustangs, and the true Camaro guys have too many un-fond memories of Saleen Mustangs.

Basically he's playing both sides of the fence, and really his cars are mostly show and cost too much.

Xanthos 01-07-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyseth1 (Post 237297)
HAHAHAHAHA that was funny!:sm0:

I think this guy thinks I was kidding... Dropping by the hobby store today to pick up the stuff to learn.
- Xanthos

garagelogic 01-07-2009 02:42 PM

Can we merge this with the Saleen Camaro thread, please?

garagelogic 01-07-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRONMAN/SS (Post 237255)
I agree Saleen shouldn't be allowed to touch a Camaro. leave that for the cars that actually need an upgrade, like mustans.

So, what you're saying is that any car touched by an aftermarker tuner needs to be upgraded? Think about it. Callaway, Lingenfelter, etc. have been working on 'vette's and Vipers for decades.

greenrail 01-07-2009 02:48 PM

Oh for Crying Out Loud, this is a Business Decision

I personally don't see anything wrong with any company going forward to promote their brand of improvements to the Camaro. If one looks at the SLP offerings of late, the support for GM products isn't what it used to be.

It is a business decision. If Saleen can make the Camaro even more desirable to more Customers. That is all the better for everyone else who likes the car.

Get over the past, too many people are throwing out arguments based on not very objective looks at what can be done to improve a situation.

I say full speed ahead and let's boost the sales of this car.

Anything that helps any of the Detroit Three get more market share and improve business conditions is something we should all be supporting.!

diaz62601 01-07-2009 02:51 PM

But its no different then Carol Shelby building a mustang, a viper etc. etc