Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SMS Camaro to be produced (by Steve Saleen) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11393)

2sharp 01-07-2009 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just found a picture on his website of what his vision of a Saleen Camaro would look like...........

Mindz 01-07-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenrail (Post 237323)
I personally don't see anything wrong with any company going forward to promote their brand of improvements to the Camaro. If one looks at the SLP offerings of late, the support for GM products isn't what it used to be.

It is a business decision. If Saleen can make the Camaro even more desirable to more Customers. That is all the better for everyone else who likes the car.

Get over the past, too many people are throwing out arguments based on not very objective looks at what can be done to improve a situation.

I say full speed ahead and let's boost the sales of this car.

Anything that helps any of the Detroit Three get more market share and improve business conditions is something we should all be supporting.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by garagelogic (Post 237319)
So, what you're saying is that any car touched by an aftermarker tuner needs to be upgraded? Think about it. Callaway, Lingenfelter, etc. have been working on 'vette's and Vipers for decades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diaz62601 (Post 237326)
But its no different then Carol Shelby building a mustang, a viper etc. etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyers (Post 237329)
i wouldn't buy one, especially after seeing him on video trashing GM about the camaro in front of mustang owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh1147 (Post 237331)
That arrogant POS will never get a dime from me....hope his company goes under too!!

This tells the story of a poor little man named Steve S.

Mr Twisty 01-07-2009 03:39 PM

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Lingenfe...te520HPLS3.htm

Mr Twisty 01-07-2009 03:39 PM

525 hp for 8995.

Check out the twin turbo vette while you're there.

2sharp 01-07-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diaz62601 (Post 237326)
But its no different then Carol Shelby building a mustang, a viper etc. etc

But Carroll Shelby is a legend...........Saleen is not

greenrail 01-07-2009 03:50 PM

What has always been interesting to me was the reality of Saleen Mustangs selling for premium prices at the Various Muscle Car Auctions I have been to.

Hopefully, this type of scenario does the same for Camaros.

Whether or not SMS has a significant impact on Camaro Sales, remains to be seen.

To me, at least, anything to boost sales is a plus. Sorry, to all the Saleen haters out there, but, business is business.

Support the Detroit Three!!!!

JMAN311 01-07-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 237376)
525 hp for 8995.

Check out the twin turbo vette while you're there.

Too bad 1/2 that price you are paying for is just the name. $8995 is ALOT of money for 525hp and that's just at the crank.

You could spend $500 for a cam, $1500-2000 for a full exhaust system (headers/x-pipe/cat-back setup), $300-500 for a CAI and then get a tune and even with labor with a high estimate it shouldn't cost much more than $4K and you'd prob get more than 525hp at the crank.

CWI 01-07-2009 04:03 PM

Saleen SMS Camaro in the works

I may have to hold out for one of these!

http://wot.motortrend.com/6410695/au...les/index.html

Milk 1027 01-07-2009 04:05 PM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11393

Mr Twisty 01-07-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAN311 (Post 237390)
Too bad 1/2 that price you are paying for is just the name. $8995 is ALOT of money for 525hp and that's just at the crank.

You could spend $500 for a cam, $1500-2000 for a full exhaust system (headers/x-pipe/cat-back setup), $300-500 for a CAI and then get a tune and even with labor with a high estimate it shouldn't cost much more than $4K and you'd prob get more than 525hp at the crank.

Never said you couldn't do it cheaper....Here's the problem tho.

You do it and you've effectively de-valued the car.
Lingenfelter does it and the car is at least worth more than it was initially.
Don't believe me? Check ebay for hotrodded vettes, then check for Lingenfelter vettes. Perception is a strange thing.

You gonna do your own wrenching at those prices? Also gonna need head porting to get those numbers.

War Eagle 01-07-2009 04:22 PM

I don't know what the total package will look like and cost for the Camaro but his Mustangs are way overpriced, ugly and are not selling.

Also now that he has alienated most of the Camaro lovers with his comments he may find the sales of his camaros even worse than the Saleen Mustang.

Steve

Mindz 01-07-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenrail (Post 237383)
What has always been interesting to me was the reality of Saleen Mustangs selling for premium prices at the Various Muscle Car Auctions I have been to.

Hopefully, this type of scenario does the same for Camaros.

Whether or not SMS has a significant impact on Camaro Sales, remains to be seen.

To me, at least, anything to boost sales is a plus. Sorry, to all the Saleen haters out there, but, business is business.

Support the Detroit Three!!!!

It wouldn't boost business. Google or youtube the video where Saleen talks about GM, then think about this...

If GM does business with someone who talks shit about how terrible they are, what does that say about GM?

IMVHO, that would LOSE business instead of gain it.

As for supporting the three. I will be supporting the three by buying my car and promoting it around the streets. If Saleen really wants to enter the market and modify the car he so thoroughly tried to trash, he should buy the cars at a marked up price to give GM some retribution.

Extinct 01-07-2009 04:31 PM

I tend to side with those who say "anything that can help improve the longevity of the Camaro".....we'll take all the help we can get.

The way I see things is this....I don't want to see another "hiatus" or "end of the Camaro" anytime. With our struggling economy, it will be wonderful to have the Camaro surface and hopefully *FINGERS CROSSED* help bring GM's head above water. If that takes the combined efforts of the import tuners turning a few thousand Camaros into "rice rockets" along with the efforts of companies like Saleen, Lingenfelter, SLP, THR, etc....I really don't mind.

I've realized that regardless of my preferences, there are going to be Camaros with huge wings, gawdy body kits and more vinyl graphics than you can fit on a school bus. Same way there are going to be stripped down, steamrollers for tires, mean street machines. As long as I have the ability to build my dream Camaro....I'm happy.

I have a feeling that it's going to take a big effort from everyone willing to keep the Camaro around...so I say, welcome aboard Steve Saleen...

Note: I'll be cruising in a Nickey or a THR before I'm caught in a Saleen Camaro or something from SLP (still not happy about G8 Firehawks :( ).

-Matt

JMAN311 01-07-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 237413)
Never said you couldn't do it cheaper....Here's the problem tho.

You do it and you've effectively de-valued the car.
Lingenfelter does it and the car is at least worth more than it was initially.
Don't believe me? Check ebay for hotrodded vettes, then check for Lingenfelter vettes. Perception is a strange thing.

You gonna do your own wrenching at those prices? Also gonna need head porting to get those numbers.

Look at how much someone paid to buy their Lingenfelter vette to begin with and how much they actually can end up getting for it. Of course they get more than a regular modded vette cause they paid $10-20K ontop of the sticker price of the car. Both cars are de-valued. The ratio of what you paid and how much you get back out of it is alot worse with a Lingenfelter than a normally modded ride.

And no I wouldn't be doing my own wrenching I figured 800-1000 bucks for labor into the $4K total price