Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for a little direction.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401680)

KeyWil 03-26-2015 07:56 PM

Looking for a little direction....

Ok, my girl is approaching the 80k mark in mileage. I do not have the famous oil catch can. I also don't have any issues with her **knock on wood :lol:*** but I want to add the catch can as reassurance??? So, if I did a top end flush would that be enough to start with a catch can? Or is there some other services I should perform before installing a catch can? Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance. :thanks:

cb66 03-26-2015 08:07 PM

At 80k why add one now?

Dizzy82 03-26-2015 08:13 PM

Seafoam your intake, I'm sure you would put on quite the smoke show.

KeyWil 03-26-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb66 (Post 8321742)
At 80k why add one now?

I'm considering it because I here so many suggestions of adding one here in the forum. Not 100% sure I will add one but just wanted to know what I would need to do be square before I added one. But I do see your point. If it's not broke, why try to fix it :lol:

zr1chris 03-26-2015 10:57 PM

Seems like most of the guys with the catch can here have numerous other mods. If your car is stock i don't think it's really necessary based on what I've read here on the forums.

KeyWil 03-26-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zr1chris (Post 8322061)
Seems like most of the guys with the catch can here have numerous other mods. If your car is stock i don't think it's really necessary based on what I've read here on the forums.

Mmmm true, true. All I have is a cold air intake. Otherwise, she's stock

trodecke 03-26-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zr1chris (Post 8322061)

I can't speak for everyone but my SS is bone stock (well, except for blacking out the bow ties in front and back). I put an Elite CC on mine and within 2 weeks had a decent amount of "gook" in the bottom of it. I got it on at around 8k miles. I haven't taken it off recently but I'm sure there's a good sized pool in the bottom of my can.

Mental Note - Empty the catch can this weekend. ;)

Dizzy82 03-27-2015 12:01 AM

The LLTs and LFXs benefit the most from a CC due to the direct injection. I'm sure your intake manifold has a good layer of build up by this point.

PalmerGA 03-27-2015 07:50 AM

If it were my LS, I'd Seafoam the crap out of it (per directions, of course) and then install a catch can. I guarantee your top end is encrusted with crud and if you haven't seen any performance degradation yet, you probably will soon. It's a gradual process so you may have some but just not realized it of the many miles. If you hope to keep your car running good for a good while longer, why not invest a couple hundred bucks (foam and CC) just to make sure?

KeyWil 03-27-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 8322383)
If it were my LS, I'd Seafoam the crap out of it (per directions, of course) and then install a catch can. I guarantee your top end is encrusted with crud and if you haven't seen any performance degradation yet, you probably will soon. It's a gradual process so you may have some but just not realized it of the many miles. If you hope to keep your car running good for a good while longer, why not invest a couple hundred bucks (foam and CC) just to make sure?

Oh I hear you. I just wanted to know is a top end flush all I need before installing the catch can or is there something else recommended as well? :noidea: