CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   How do you add apps to the mylink system (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538354)

speedup 09-11-2018 10:55 AM

How do you add apps to the mylink system

I pushed the store icon on my screen, and all I ever get is

"We are currently unavailable to access the catalog, please try again later."

Is this normal? I have tried it connected to my home wifi, and also onstar data service.

cellsafemode 09-11-2018 11:35 AM

pretty sure your best bet is to embrace android auto

Car entertainment systems should just be a pass-thru for your cell phone. Redundant wastes of money is all the sat radio, navigation, onstar data service and the rest of the non-settings features of mylink. You always have your cell phone on you, it does all that and more and you are already paying for it.

But yea, in short, I've not used any of those features since i bought the car a couple years ago. Also disconnected the onstar radio board. So no idea if that's normal :)

Tyl3r 09-11-2018 11:36 AM

You need to connect to WIFI. You can use your phone as a hotspot, or you can purchase the data plan from OnStar and connect to the car's internal hotspot.

Emoto 09-11-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedup (Post 10307935)
I pushed the store icon on my screen, and all I ever get is

"We are currently unavailable to access the catalog, please try again later."

Is this normal? I have tried it connected to my home wifi, and also onstar data service.

Holy cow, there's a store icon??? :eyebulge:

Where?

Tyl3r 09-11-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl3r (Post 10307978)
You need to connect to WIFI. You can use your phone as a hotspot, or you can purchase the data plan from OnStar and connect to the car's internal hotspot.

I apologize. I see you said you already tried that.

speedup 09-11-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoto (Post 10308036)
Holy cow, there's a store icon??? :eyebulge:

Where?

Its on the 2nd page of the home screen icons.

speedup 09-11-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl3r (Post 10308043)
I apologize. I see you said you already tried that.

NP :) yours works?

I wasnt looking for anything in particular, just curious really.

Once waze is supported I will be very happy.

Emoto 09-11-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedup (Post 10308049)
Its on the 2nd page of the home screen icons.

Huh. I never knew. :bonk:

Will have to try it.

Tyl3r 09-11-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedup (Post 10308052)
NP :) yours works?

I wasnt looking for anything in particular, just curious really.

Once waze is supported I will be very happy.

It works on mine, but the apps are completely worthless, and require wifi to function anyway. This is separate from using your mobile device.

You are better off sticking with Apple or Android play. It sounds like you have Apple, since Waze isn't working for you. Android users have had it for a while. I too am waiting for Waze or Google to run for Apple users.

gotroost 09-11-2018 07:18 PM

Haven't driven around with it much, but Waze works with Apple CarPlay.

speedup 09-11-2018 07:23 PM

Figured out what was wrong - I bought this car used, and I did not clear out previous owners profile from the app store. Weird thing was it let me sign in with my account credentials.

Anyway, under settings I was able to clear all the settings and reset back to defaults. Now I get the apps screen.

bpang1234 09-11-2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellsafemode (Post 10307977)
pretty sure your best bet is to embrace android auto

Car entertainment systems should just be a pass-thru for your cell phone. Redundant wastes of money is all the sat radio, navigation, onstar data service and the rest of the non-settings features of mylink. You always have your cell phone on you, it does all that and more and you are already paying for it.

But yea, in short, I've not used any of those features since i bought the car a couple years ago. Also disconnected the onstar radio board. So no idea if that's normal :)

Yeah I don't even know what the business case is for all these automakers to staff software departments just for their in car entertainment when it would be as simple having basic functionality for AM/FM Radio (for emergencies at the least) and Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. Especially when wireless CarPlay and Auto become widespread, I don't think there would be a lot of people that would choose a factory ICE experience over Apple or Android.

I would think that these makers could save many millions of dollars just creating some apps and going full integration with Apple / Android.

nicktechla 09-11-2018 09:21 PM

The apps are worthless anyways :)

Vtor_ZL1 09-11-2018 10:02 PM

Apps that get dumped in are all crap.. not anything useful.. like say gopro app to control your wifi gopro or garmin or other wifi controlable device.. ie GM didn't get paid to include it. But you do get bunch of crap.. which you will uninstall after they load.

wireless android auto would we sweettt.. probably need to remember to charge phone again but there is wireless charging pad.. which then means you forget your phone. Now if only they fashioned a little slot like on the impala or malibu i rented recently.