Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Loud metallic rattle, worse when cold and in reverse - take a listen (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340298)

blackswan 02-02-2014 03:50 PM

Loud metallic rattle, worse when cold and in reverse - take a listen
 
2 Attachment(s)
Always tough to convey a sound, but wondering if anyone else has this noise.

From inside it sounds like a muffled rattle around and under the shifter. However, with a recorder outside the car is sounds like a very loud metallic rattle.

It's worse when ice cold (first start of day) but on occasion you can hear it when in reverse backing up a hill or on moderate acceleration in drive from a dead stop. So load seems to matter, does not do it at all in N.

Take a listen and share your thoughts, it's very loud (though apparently not loud enough for a dealer mechanic to hear of course - ;) ;) :rolleyes:).

KaBoom1701 02-02-2014 04:26 PM

Well I can tell you that's not normal.....

Sure sounds like something is lose...

Almost like a heat shield or exhaust part.

wutshotDJroomba 02-03-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 7389337)
Well I can tell you that's not normal.....

Sure sounds like something is lose...

Almost like a heat shield or exhaust part.

Agreed. I once had a similar wicked rattle under my car only when in Drive stopped, or when slowly accelerating. I slid under the car with a rubber mallet and lightly tapped on the pipes until I finally found out that one of my axle-back exhaust bolts had come loose. Crazy to think something near the back could resinate all the way towards the front, but that's the exhaust system for you. Even if you don't have an aftermarket exhaust like mine there's still a chance it could be a heat shield or just a loose clamp/bolt/etc. as Kaboom1701 stated... It's worth it to get under there and take a look before you bite the bullet and finally decide to take it in.

blackswan 02-03-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutshotDJroomba (Post 7390272)
Agreed. I once had a similar wicked rattle under my car only when in Drive stopped, or when slowly accelerating. I slid under the car with a rubber mallet and lightly tapped on the pipes until I finally found out that one of my axle-back exhaust bolts had come loose. Crazy to think something near the back could resinate all the way towards the front, but that's the exhaust system for you. Even if you don't have an aftermarket exhaust like mine there's still a chance it could be a heat shield or just a loose clamp/bolt/etc. as Kaboom1701 stated... It's worth it to get under there and take a look before you bite the bullet and finally decide to take it in.

Great ideas, thanks guys. Yeah, I know it's not normal - pretty loud! It's actually been into the dealer, they replaced the catalytic on one side - twice. No idea why they don't think it might be the other one now.

skibik 02-03-2014 05:33 PM

Either the cats are bad again and they should replace both not just one side as it maybe the other side. Not sure exactly what is inside the resonators but could be a baffle come loose if there is one in there. Sound transmits through the car and it may also be a loose baffle from inside the muffler. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer to me.

Dean.

wutshotDJroomba 02-03-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skibik (Post 7391936)
Either the cats are bad again and they should replace both not just one side as it maybe the other side. Not sure exactly what is inside the resonators but could be a baffle come loose if there is one in there. Sound transmits through the car and it may also be a loose baffle from inside the muffler. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer to me.

Dean.

I've had a cat converter replaced twice, first the driver's side, then the passenger a few months later rattled:doh:. It's quite a problematic part on this car, well at least on mine it appears to be. I don't believe they're exactly built to last what with the constant amount of heat applied, so it eventually weakens, but mine hasn't given me an issue since replacement. There is also the long shot that something wasn't tightened enough after it was removed and replaced and now it's rattling. Seems like detective work is order, as Skibik said the sound will transmit throughout so check the entire system, heat shields included if you're able to and keep us posted if you can.

blackswan 02-04-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutshotDJroomba (Post 7392775)
I've had a cat converter replaced twice, first the driver's side, then the passenger a few months later rattled:doh:. It's quite a problematic part on this car, well at least on mine it appears to be. I don't believe they're exactly built to last what with the constant amount of heat applied, so it eventually weakens, but mine hasn't given me an issue since replacement. There is also the long shot that something wasn't tightened enough after it was removed and replaced and now it's rattling. Seems like detective work is order, as Skibik said the sound will transmit throughout so check the entire system, heat shields included if you're able to and keep us posted if you can.

Yes going to a different dealer who may have sufficient diagnostic skills to actually fix it.

Vai 02-19-2014 04:19 PM

I have this same issue in my car. Going to take it in Saturday and hopefully they will be able to pin point the issue and fix it...very annoying

blackswan 02-25-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vai (Post 7434310)
I have this same issue in my car. Going to take it in Saturday and hopefully they will be able to pin point the issue and fix it...very annoying

What did they say?

blackswan 03-16-2014 09:02 PM

Unbelievably, or maybe it is believable, the dealer left my tranny a quart low and that's what the noise was, NOT a catalytic converter. Frustrating as I brought it in right after the tranny flush saying it sounds like he transmission. Nope, they knew better and became pretty rude when I kept coming back with the same noise. Told me if there was no "light on the dash" there is no tranny problem. Really.

Took an awesome dealer to figure it out in about 5 minutes upon hearing this noise, that the other dealer said is nothing or couldn't hear it.

RobertRS 03-16-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 7500352)
Unbelievably, or maybe it is believable, the dealer left my tranny a quart low and that's what the noise was, NOT a catalytic converter. Frustrating as I brought it in right after the tranny flush saying it sounds like he transmission. Nope, they knew better and became pretty rude when I kept coming back with the same noise. Told me if there was no "light on the dash" there is no tranny problem. Really.

Took an awesome dealer to figure it out in about 5 minutes upon hearing this noise, that the other dealer said is nothing or couldn't hear it.


Wow! Glad to hear you got that ironed out. At least you know who you won't be taking it back to in the future.

blackswan 03-16-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertRS (Post 7500370)
Wow! Glad to hear you got that ironed out. At least you know who you won't be taking it back to in the future.

Totally, real sad treatment and waste of GMs dollars. They even claimed they did pressure tests in the tranny and checked fluid levels, etc. when I brought it back insisting it was the tranny. At least I didn't have out of pockets expenses for that "work", but did pay a couple hundred for the flush. Nice eh?

6bangerBOOM 03-16-2014 09:51 PM

I believe I've seen a few people report that they found rocks caught up in their crossmember that were the cause.

blackswan 03-20-2014 08:39 AM

Well, that wasn't this noise though, see above. Dealer botched tranny flush.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.