Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anybody with an Auto 4th gen? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610)

Mr. Wyndham 09-15-2007 01:34 PM

Anybody with an Auto 4th gen?

I was wondering about a very, very small detail actually...

Does the shifter, well...story first.

In the '79 I have, when you're in 'drive', you can nudge the shifter to the right a bit, and up (no more than 1/4 inch movement)- this will lock it into place, which then you can use for a support in the event of a high-G turn...

Do the 4th gens do that?

bprange 09-15-2007 04:42 PM

My '94 Z28 is auto [:( I wish it wasn't] and I have never noticed or believe the shifter has any play to the side...curious tho...

CamaroSpike23 09-15-2007 07:56 PM

nope, sounds like yours might be needing adjustment. I wouldnt use it as a brace for anything, esp in the event where you accidentally move it out of alignment. i can move mine back and forth (shift kit) to choose what gear i am in, but not side to side.

and whats wrong with an auto? if you are serious about racing, auto is the way to go, shifts faster than shifting by hand with the right setup.

z28camaro2471 09-15-2007 08:13 PM

If you're serious about bracket drag racing where consistency is more important than speed, then yes an auto can be a better option if it's built properly. Road racing, then a manual is the only way to go. And if we're talking stock transmissions (any kind of racing), manuals are typically faster. Manuals are also typically more durable.

All NHRA Pro classes use manual transmissions, although they are clutchless and air actuated so they are essentially automatics speaking strictly from a driver's perspective. But mechanically, they are still manuals.

acscamarochick06 09-15-2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 23429)
and whats wrong with an auto? if you are serious about racing, auto is the way to go, shifts faster than shifting by hand with the right setup.

:bow: Amen to that! Seems like the more I try to tell people auto is the way to go the more I get slammed for it. I love driving a 6 spd but with an auto on the track, there's a smaller margin for error!

CamaroSpike23 09-15-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 (Post 23431)
If you're serious about bracket drag racing where consistency is more important than speed, then yes an auto can be a better option if it's built properly. Road racing, then a manual is the only way to go. And if we're talking stock transmissions (any kind of racing), manuals are typically faster. Manuals are also typically more durable.

All NHRA Pro classes use manual transmissions, although they are clutchless and air actuated so they are essentially automatics speaking strictly from a driver's perspective. But mechanically, they are still manuals

manuals are only as fast as the guy shifting. now if you are talking about acceleration of auto vs manual or top speed of auto/manual, manual will have the accelleration because 99% of manuals come with a lower gear ratio in the rear. now for top speed auto will prevail for the same reason as it has a higher gear ratio.

as far as NHRA "manual" transmissions, you say they are manuals? because the driver leaves it in one gear then bumps it into the next gear? i do the same thing with my A4. granted its got a shift kit, but all they are doing is keeping it in one gear then allowing it to shift itself to the next one.

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2007 01:00 AM

Whoa! I didn't want this to turn into a Manual vs Auto thread...though I shoulda seen it coming :bonk: :D

And no, it's not broken, it was built that way - right from factory it did that - it's my Dad's, you see. Bought brand new, and it has this little lock-up feature in it. :iono: thought it was cool, and I wondered if GM carried it over to future Camaros...

An interesting point was touched on, though...are manuals generally more durable than Autos? Cause I've heard vis-versa...

CamaroSpike23 09-16-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23464)
Whoa! I didn't want this to turn into a Manual vs Auto thread...though I shoulda seen it coming :bonk: :D

And no, it's not broken, it was built that way - right from factory it did that - it's my Dad's, you see. Bought brand new, and it has this little lock-up feature in it. :iono: thought it was cool, and I wondered if GM carried it over to future Camaros...

An interesting point was touched on, though...are manuals generally more durable than Autos? Cause I've heard vis-versa...

im not out to start a pissing contest, just sharin facts. lol
thats kinda cool about the lockup feature, I had an auto in my 78...for about 3 days before I blew it doin donuts, and I dropped in a 3 spd manual out of a 65 pickup. lol

as far as more durable...i can destroy both in the same time. lol:headbang:

it just depends, manuals have fewer parts over autos, so there are fewer things to break. but in the hands of someone who grannyshifts all the time and uses the tranny to slow down 90% of the time, then you will wear it out faster, but the majority of that is just the clutch goin out.

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2007 01:17 AM

ahhhh, (sigh)...I've really got to get myself into a car with a stick.

I'm 60% sure I want one. And I know all three types of trannys inside and out (3rd being DCT)...so I know how to drive them, I've just never actually driven one. :bonk:

Untill then, it's a tossup - and I hate tossups......

CamaroSpike23 09-16-2007 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23470)
ahhhh, (sigh)...I've really got to get myself into a car with a stick.

I'm 60% sure I want one. And I know all three types of trannys inside and out (3rd being DCT)...so I know how to drive them, I've just never actually driven one. :bonk:

Untill then, it's a tossup - and I hate tossups......

so you know how to drive them, but you dont know how to drive them?

Mr. Wyndham 09-16-2007 01:30 AM

exactly. Never had my hand on an H-pattern Shifter before...:bonk: it's partly embarrassing being the self-proclaimed Car-enthusiast, that I am...

But I know that clutch [pedal[ goes in, gas comes out - both simultaneously, and smoothly - Shift occurs, revs matched (moreso if racing) - and clutch released, and gas depressed again...

The reason 40% of me still wants an auto is that I'd love to say I have all this Hi-tech tranny in my car, which, it is. The shifters are supposedly fixed, and I think I'd like to have the auto-option...plus kinda like in MIB and the red-button. I can say to never-controlled-400hp-people - don't put it in 'S'. NEVER put it in 'S', if you value my car, or your life.;) But if the Stick isn't as bad as it's been said to be in traffic, or hills (which I don't think it will be) then standard all the way!

But, I have to drive a stick first. otherwise choosing one when the great day comes, is like a blind man choosing his favorite color. :bonk:

CamaroSpike23 09-16-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23473)
exactly. Never had my hand on an H-pattern Shifter before...:bonk: it's partly embarrassing being the self-proclaimed Car-enthusiast, that I am...

But I know that clutch [pedal[ goes in, gas comes out - both simultaneously, and smoothly - Shift occurs, revs matched (moreso if racing) - and clutch released, and gas depressed again...

The reason 40% of me still wants an auto is that I'd love to say I have all this Hi-tech tranny in my car, which, it is. The shifters are supposedly fixed, and I think I'd like to have the auto-option...plus kinda like in MIB and the red-button. I can say to never-controlled-400hp-people - don't put it in 'S'. NEVER put it in 'S', if you value my car, or your life.;) But if the Stick isn't as bad as it's been said to be in traffic, or hills (which I don't think it will be) then standard all the way!

But, I have to drive a stick first. otherwise choosing one when the great day comes, is like a blind man choosing his favorite color. :bonk:

nice analogy.

there's other ways of shifting manuals. ie: double clutching, where once you disengage from the lower gear you rev the engine to keep in your power band and then engage into the higher gear.

you should come down here to chucktown, ill let you take the 78 out, and believe me, im not worried about you tearin anything up. Its my manual test vehicle for all my friends who want to learn to drive stick. :burnrubber: I can tell you this, your first time drivin stick. you will kill it. lol one thing to keep in mind, if you are havin trouble, just pop the clutch (except on a hill)

bprange 09-16-2007 02:21 AM

I have a problem with my auto simply because I don't think its interesting to drive. I don't care if its a fraction of a second faster or slower, I just like that connection to my car and it is FUN! (IMO)

CamaroSpike23 09-16-2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bprange (Post 23478)
I have a problem with my auto simply because I don't think its interesting to drive. I don't care if its a fraction of a second faster or slower, I just like that connection to my car and it is FUN! (IMO)

I agree, there's nothing like the feeling of banging thru the gears, but i still love the satisfaction of stompin someone then tellin them its an A4.

plus i only paid $200.00 for my A4 Z28. lol

(and no, my mommy and daddy didnt pay for the rest)