Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Metra kit issue to be aware of! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234687)

meltyface 07-02-2012 11:36 AM

Metra kit issue to be aware of!

Well for the past couple days my Metra Dash kit display has been flickering and after troubleshooting it with no solution I called Metra Tech Support and they informed me that once the display starts flickering it isn't because of a wiring issue it is because the display is about to go out. So since I have had my kit for a little over 20 months I now have to buy a new one!

*Another note make sure your installer updates the kit, apparently there is a firmware update that has to be done before installing.

kalimus 07-02-2012 01:41 PM

Yep. Mine did the same thing. The LCD is completely out now, and I've had the kit for about the same amount of time. I'll be trying the Pioneer one next. The Metra was great for awhile (only one available when I got mine), but it just looks and feels cheap. The buttons stick, the fitment could be better, and the LCD was the final problem.

SS Drifter 07-02-2012 02:06 PM

Same here. This makes you think twice about buying another. Did you ask if they will sell a replacement display?

y2k king 07-02-2012 04:49 PM

mine went out and they sent a new one over night.:thumbsup:

Sarah 07-02-2012 05:07 PM

Same. :(

DJ UNKNOWN 07-02-2012 05:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Been through about 4 or 5 kits for this same problem, lucky for me mine was still under warranty so it hasn't cost me anything other than time.....but definently buyer beware

SS Drifter 07-02-2012 10:52 PM

Y2k and Sarah,
Were your Metra units still under warranty when they failed? I would rather get a free replacement than shell out a bunch of coin.

Either way, it's kind of a hassle to remove and reinstall. I don't think I want to repeat the exercise every 18 months or so.

CWI 07-03-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalimus (Post 5225734)
Yep. Mine did the same thing. The LCD is completely out now, and I've had the kit for about the same amount of time. I'll be trying the Pioneer one next. The Metra was great for awhile (only one available when I got mine), but it just looks and feels cheap. The buttons stick, the fitment could be better, and the LCD was the final problem.

Pioneer? I've only heard of Scoshe, Metra and Alpine kits.

kalimus 07-03-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWIweldace (Post 5229151)
Pioneer? I've only heard of Scoshe, Metra and Alpine kits.

Argh Alpine is what I meant. I was talking to someone at work out Pioneer stereos while I was posting :mad0260:

Sarah 07-03-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Drifter (Post 5228786)
Y2k and Sarah,
Were yor Metra units still under warranty when they failed? I would rather get a free replace than shell out a bunch of coin.

Either way, it's kind of a hassle to remove and reinstall. I don't think I want to repeat the exercise every 18 months or so.

That was one of the first things i upgraded when i purchased my car in late 2009 and started flickering about 5 months ago. Really don't think its still under warranty. :mad0260:

iMONEY 07-06-2012 10:44 PM

Just started happening to me yesterday. Thanks for the heads up. could have used it yesterday instead of digging in the dash lol. Time for a scosche or whatever its called.

y2k king 07-07-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Drifter (Post 5228786)
Y2k and Sarah,
Were yor Metra units still under warranty when they failed? I would rather get a free replace than shell out a bunch of coin.

yeah, mine was less than a year and they warranted it.

by the way, i've never had any other problems with it than the flickering display. all the buttons worked fine.

rray 07-30-2012 01:00 PM

My Metra display just started flikering blue then green, and stays green after a few minutes on.

It's 6 months old now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wuiquen 07-30-2012 01:08 PM

exactly why I have not upgraded my radio yet.. Im close to having the car for 2 years now and Im sooooo tempted to upgrade as I have the DD unit sitting at home but Everyone seems to have some kinda problem with metra.. I personally do not like the Scosche kit so im stuck... I mean people pay very high price for the stupid kit and the company cant even make it work right???