Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   V6 Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back kit (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68330)

Brownhornitt 02-28-2010 10:59 PM

V6 Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back kit

Who has installed the Flowmaster AMT axel-back kit on their V6 Camaro? Do you like the sound? Is it too loud, or not loud enough? Generally, are you happy with your purchase? I see a lot of people happy with their exhaust kits/systems from Borla, MRT, Corsa, GMPP, Magnaflow, and even Flowmaster 40 and 44. I really liked this Flowmaster video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Utii_7QKnA

Does anyone have the V6 Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back kit? Let us know what you think?

Landshark 02-28-2010 11:06 PM

Brownhornitt,
This is the kit I was thinking about installing before I went and seen my muffler guy. I went with single chambered flows and they sound pretty good. The kit from what others have said here has a good sound and tone. It is, as you already know, is bolt on. if you get it and like it, welding it on changes it's tone. Some say for the better. Just FYI.
Shark

Brownhornitt 02-28-2010 11:29 PM

Landshark,
That's kind of my point. Why did you go with single chambered Flowmasters? I'm familiar with this stuff, but far from an expert.

priz23 02-28-2010 11:33 PM

Mine should be on my door stop by tomorrow evening. Hope to get them installed within a week.

Landshark 02-28-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownhornitt (Post 1533894)
Landshark,
That's kind of my point. Why did you go with single chambered Flowmasters? I'm familiar with this stuff, but far from an expert.

Due to he said he put a set of mine on a SS the day before and he said it sounded good. I took his word for it and he was right. I have to call him and see if there 40's or 44's because I'm sure you will ask that next. I told a guy earlier, my wife says "she can't hear herself think when driving it" They are loud under accell. I told her she will feel better when she gets over it. I'm going to the Treasure Island meet next Saturday, if your there you can decide for yourself. Check the California Meets section for details.:thumbup: Oh by the way, I have a White 1LT/RS

hb35man 03-01-2010 05:59 AM

I have this system installed and really like it.:w00t:
If I were to do it over (and I might ) I would be using the Stainless Works system
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...oducts_id=1861

chozn4service 03-01-2010 07:32 AM

After watching and listening to so many videos on YouTube.com since Dec.5th, and talking to people with various systems I pulled the trigger on the Flowmaster AT axle back and I'm glad that I did. I'm 52yrs old and though I like to be hip and love muscle cars, I don't like to announce my coming and going.
The Flowmaster AT was an easy install! Just like the video explained is the way that I did it. I'm very happy with the sound and the quality of the product.
The sound upon start gets your attention until the idle kicks in and then it tones down. When you give it gas it sounds much better than stock but it's not obtrusive in that it doesn't prevent you from having a conversation with someone riding with you nor does it interfere with your music. Now when you get on it, it lets you know that you have something special and it will put a smile on your face but settles down to a low rumble once you've brought your foot back through the firewall. I love it and also you can't see the cans from the back of the car like the OEM's. Flowmasters are black STAINLESS STEEL cans. Some might try to tell you their not stainless but they are. I think for the money, and I got mine on Autoanything for around $431.00 I think it was and that included free shipping, you can beat it. I've also been in touch with Flowmaster as they called me after I registered the product and asked how I liked it, any problems with install and let me know that there is a 10yr warranty on the product that will cover anything. I was impressed with their contact!

I didn't get my product for free or reduced price for being a test mule for them so I have no dog in this fight, and I don't get any kick backs for anyone I push towards Flowmaster but I think you'll be happy with the product. They all sound different so it depends on what you really want but I know for me, this is the sound I really want. I have a buddy in Socal who wanted to hear it and over the phone he loved the sound, plus I love the exhaust tips, they really look good!

01pewterz28 03-01-2010 08:12 AM

I have this system (I uploaded a few videos of it on YouTube do a search for 01pewterz28) I decided on this system for the sound I heard on the internet, plus the price. I like it the sound is nice not too loud. I was not ready to spend $1000 on an exhaust system right now but if I was I would order the new redesigned V6 Stainless Works system I really like the way that one sounds but like I said I am not ready to dump $1100 into and exhaust system for my V6.

If you buy it I feel you will be very happy I am

Sean

Brownhornitt 03-01-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 (Post 1534421)
I have this system (I uploaded a few videos of it on YouTube do a search for 01pewterz28) I decided on this system for the sound I heard on the internet, plus the price. I like it the sound is nice not too loud. I was not ready to spend $1000 on an exhaust system right now but if I was I would order the new redesigned V6 Stainless Works system I really like the way that one sounds but like I said I am not ready to dump $1100 into and exhaust system for my V6.

If you buy it I feel you will be very happy I am

Sean

Hmmmm. I checked it out on Youtube. Did you switch your system to the Flowmaster from something else?

Brownhornitt 03-01-2010 09:32 AM

Chozn4service,

Your post is invaluable. Thank you so much. I am an old soul. So it brings a smile to my face when you when you say this:

"The sound upon start gets your attention until the idle kicks in and then it tones down. When you give it gas it sounds much better than stock but it's not obtrusive in that it doesn't prevent you from having a conversation with someone riding with you nor does it interfere with your music. Now when you get on it, it lets you know that you have something special and it will put a smile on your face but settles down to a low rumble once you've brought your foot back through the firewall."

That is perfect.

bluedevil02 03-01-2010 09:45 AM

just an observation, but i pulld a clip of a new challenger v6 3.5l to see what the flowmaster system sounded like and it was sick...just don't understand why our motors to yield the same sound,i mean i understand theyre quite different designs...being that of similar size...anywho chk it out>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RofEbwkKdVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unt7X-JYqb4

Bama_SIM_Cam 03-01-2010 05:52 PM

I have the Flowmaster Axle Back exhaust installed (kit #817483) and ditto Chozn4service's comments. Sound is just what I was looking for and is very controllable by how much throttle is used. Tips look good, they get a little sooty on the inside but no problem to clean. Smaller black cans really clean up the view from behind. The stock cans are huge. My Flowmaster kit is welded vice clamped but I can't imagine how that would affect the sound as long as it was clamped tightly. Welding was for integrity of pipes, not sound. Price is very reasonable. I had mine installed by a local exhaust shop. $504 complete including welding the pipes and tips.

SNV 03-01-2010 06:06 PM

Always keep checking Autoanything.com . They always run 10%, 15%, and 20% off. A few of us got the flowmaster system for under $400 shipped :). As soon as they run another sale I will order a cargo mat from them ;).

Brownhornitt 03-02-2010 04:28 PM

Is there any drone with this system?