Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Short throw? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608326)

Danial 08-09-2022 11:51 PM

Short throw?

1 Attachment(s)
This shifter came with my 2015 SS/RS Commemorative Edition. Short throw option?

SS376 08-09-2022 11:55 PM

Yes, that was a short throw option.

Nate2SS 08-09-2022 11:59 PM

Yeah, they changed the short throw from a Hurst short throw to the one that you have. I personally have the Hurst but have heard the newer one is a lot better. Is it super notchy for you? My Hurst is incredibly notchy and really doesn't go in smooth unless you bang it in.

Danial 08-10-2022 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate2SS (Post 11212727)
Yeah, they changed the short throw from a Hurst short throw to the one that you have. I personally have the Hurst but have heard the newer one is a lot better. Is it super notchy for you? My Hurst is incredibly notchy and really doesn't go in smooth unless you bang it in.

It seems to be pretty smooth. Even my son-in-law who has owned manual Z06 Corvettes from 2002 to present, commented on how smooth the shifting was.

MSgt O 08-10-2022 06:05 PM

@ Nate Odd..my hurst short is pretty smooth..second is the only issue normally..and only a little

JLSuperfly 08-10-2022 06:25 PM

I have the same shifter as the OP. It is okay as far as smoothness. But then again, I came from imports (Acura Integra GSR) where shifts have zero notchiness.

Danial 08-10-2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate2SS (Post 11212727)

A little follow up to your concerns about the Hurst shifter. Up until 2019, I had a built, 2009 Mustang GT that I put an after-market Hurst shifter in. Over the decades most of my old hot rods had Hurst 4-speeds linked to M21 or M22 trannies. Every single one of them operated flawlessly and felt bullet proof.

Not so with the new Hurst shifters for those Mustangs. A lot of people complained about how clunky they felt, including me. I liked the old school look it gave to the center console, but the performance was definitely not old-school Hurst, which was a shame.

Danial 08-10-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLSuperfly (Post 11213073)
I have the same shifter as the OP. It is okay as far as smoothness. But then again, I came from imports (Acura Integra GSR) where shifts have zero notchiness.

Of the 7 dozen or so cars I have owned, I think maybe 10 (as a pure guess) were so-called "import" vehicles. (Even if made here.) I can say the best shifters were in the Nissans and Toyotas I had.

But honestly, the worst shifter I ever used in a car (next to the 60s vintage Citroen I owned in Germany.) was in my daughter's Acura. Maybe she got a lemon, I don't know, but we joked that it was the "mystery shifter". I hated it. It was actually unsafe. She took it back to the dealer 2 or 3 times but could never seem to get it to operate properly. After several months, she traded it in on something else. I must say though, it had decent power and handled very nicely.

ADVMax 08-11-2022 08:07 AM

After riding with a friend in his older Mopar with the standard old pistol grip shifter a few weeks ago my stock shifter looks pretty short now?

Nate2SS 08-14-2022 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSgt O (Post 11213063)
@ Nate Odd..my Hurst short is pretty smooth..second is the only issue normally..and only a little

I have the OEM short throw (2011), I've read from others that it's pretty clunky compared to other short throws. I plan on changing the transmission fluid soon to see if I can remedy this. I just haven't pulled the trigger cause I don't really know what fluid to get.

Furthermore, I don't really have problems getting it into gear other than the occasional 2nd gear grind. It kinda seems to hit the gate and then take a split second to get in under normal cruising. I learned stick on this car and don't have much experience with other stick shifts.

Valkyrie14 08-14-2022 11:30 PM

I had that shifter. I installed an MGW shifter, and it is a little smoother but not by much. The OEM is pretty good. I also replaced the knob with a raceseng weighted knob, that is an upgrade worth doing regardless of what shifter you have.

Danial 08-14-2022 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 (Post 11214970)
I had that shifter. I installed an MGW shifter, and it is a little smoother but not by much. The OEM is pretty good. I also replaced the knob with a raceseng weighted knob, that is an upgrade worth doing regardless of what shifter you have.

The MGW is pretty popular among my Mustang friends. I was going to try it in my 09 GT but decided I wanted a Camaro. As for the knob, I will be doing that. Even though the shifter knob on my Commemorative Edition is specific to the car, I'm not a big fan of these leather-wrapped, fancy stiched things. I want a white ball that harkens back to the glory days of muscle. Or red maybe, to match the Adrenalin Red interior.

TheButcher 08-14-2022 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 (Post 11214970)

Agreed, Ran MGW shifters in all three of my GTO's and they were nice. But this Hurst really is not bad so I'm keeping it. :thumbup:

SIM GhostrdrZ 08-15-2022 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danial (Post 11214971)
The MGW is pretty popular among my Mustang friends. I was going to try it in my 09 GT but decided I wanted a Camaro. As for the knob, I will be doing that. Even though the shifter knob on my Commemorative Edition is specific to the car, I'm not a big fan of these leather-wrapped, fancy stiched things. I want a white ball that harkens back to the glory days of muscle. Or red maybe, to match the Adrenalin Red interior.

I like the old school white ball as well(on top of the mgw retro for both of my Camaros). Not sure if the retro is the best look for the mgw. I need to get a weighted white one if possible.